Butterfly's in the garden

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Trying out the 9 inch soft box on a speedlight technique for diffusing light onto the butterflies. Always get tons on the bush outside the house so perfect place to practice. The large white box seemed to unsettle them at first but they soon got used to the lunatic waving a large white square at them.

Butterflys-2 by Simon Kitt, on Flickr

Butterflys-1 by Simon Kitt, on Flickr

Any extra advice is greatly appreciated along with identification of both the butterfly and the flower bush would be great.

Guess plant is budlia and the butterfly is a red admiral one of my favs :D

2 very nice shots but both are a tiny bit underexposed #2 is my preference. (y)

Thanks Bryn that would make sense as a quick google of that name came up with the Butterfly Bush and it is constantly active. I thought it was a Red Admiral but I'm rubbish at identifying insects and bugs. I'm still playing with the settings of the flash to get a good exposure. Thanks for identification.

Nice.

Have you tried natural light for butterflies? It tends to be quite bright when butterflies are around, but in any case with the kit you are using you can use very high ISOs if necessary. Natural light has a different look to it which IMO can be particularly beautiful. You might want to look at threads started by @LCPete for some good examples of natural light butterfly shots.

Great captures - prefer number 2 though as you can see more detail under the wing :)

Back