Butterlies (Mostly)

Name
Billy
Edit My Images
Yes
I took a trip out with the famalam yesterday to Stratford Butterfly Park along with all my equipment. First trip I've taken like this where the main intention was to get some decent close-up snaps of what was on offer and much to my surprise, I'm actually quite pleased with some of the results. All the practice beginning to pay off. Here are a few of my favourites - any CC welcomed. Cheers!!

30212872480_f8d2c0d288_k.jpg

30474710336_823a239879_k.jpg

30511055765_4dd926eff8_b.jpg

30212859370_493cb5b1dd_b.jpg

30424628091_6fe1ebcaf5_b.jpg

Last edited:
Good set! I particularly like #2, #3 and #5 for the colours and the compositions. Focus spot on too.

I haven't played with them so I don't know, but I might try pulling the highlights down (not much though) in #1, #3 and #5 to see what they looked like, but perhaps you have already tried that?

I don't know what aperture you used for #4, but with a very flat pose like that I would be very inclined to close down the aperture a bit (if practical) and get the whole of the beast in focus. As well as giving more detail in the wings I suspect this would increase the separation from the background (by virtue of the firmer outline around the wings. If I had time (which of course you may not have had anyway) I would be inclined to try different apertures in cases like that.

What a marvelously camourflaged beast #2 is. Super composition in that one.

I might try pulling the highlights down (not much though) in #1, #3 and #5

Thanks for the comments Nick, very helpful.

I've definately tried allsorts in #5 including highlights. The original was much brighter, so I've brought down things like exposure, highlights and blacks to try to create a bit of a moodier pic. I think I may have even put a vignetting on there to help bring out the face a bit.There's a reflection on the glass above his mowhawk that no matter what I tried (in LR) I couldn't remove.

In regards to aperture. I've previously spent some time solely taking picture using aperture priority mode on my camera, however, I couldn't get the results I wanted that way (consistenly oof or soft, camera shake etc). I've since moved on to using shutter priority and am getting better results. I may go back to shooting with aperture priority though as my understanding has increased since then so I may get some better shots now and better control over DoF.

#2 is my absolute favourite. Very lucky too - I only took one shot and that was the result.

Last edited:
Love the sense of depth and the '3D' jumping out at you effect with the final photo in the set.

Thank you both.

Definately worth a visit... I had the kids with me so was a but rushed, but if it was just yourself and your camera I'm sure there are far better shots to be had.

Back