Critique Buttermere: A perfect morning

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Last week I decided I wanted a little piece of the heatwave. Sadly the warm sunny clear weather missed Scotland and I was fed up of hearing about 30c plus warm dry weather and not getting it. So a quick run down the M74 and a nap in the car later and I got my bit of the good weather rather than the relentless wind and grey skies that's been the predominate weather type up here. I really hope the next heatwave comes up here. I was at Kilchurn earlier today - 9.5c which is a cruel joke, it was 20c plus taking these which is much nicer.

And there were no midges. I don't know why that surprises me as I've been to the Lakes before but I just expected them.

Lovely clear skies, golden light and reflections. This is the stuff of dreams for me

_DSC0591 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

And here is the shot everyone takes. It was rude not to when it was just a lens change away. It's not on a par with Melvin Nicholsons most excellent image from here but it will do for me.

_DSC1169 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I don't venture in here much these days but I'm glad I did for that 2d shot, absolutely stunning! (y)

This is the stuff of dreams for me

Yeah… that figures!

Indeed, I absolutely understand the pleasure though
I don't share the same passion for this type but I can
recognize good work nonetheless! (y)

I'm a fan of the first too. I liked it on Flickr last week and was waiting for you to pop it on here. Don't know why but whenever I see the wind speed on the forecast is very low I always think of your images haha

I'm a fan of the first too. I liked it on Flickr last week and was waiting for you to pop it on here. Don't know why but whenever I see the wind speed on the forecast is very low I always think of your images haha

That's because I don't like the wind and deliberately shoot on still days to get shots like this.

One is my favourite too.

Quite like the first one Steve, I'm spoilt being local seeing alot of this scene and in all honesty it's a scene which works a wee bit better later in the year when the sun is further round first thing so there's more light on the trees and the fells behind at sunrise, but you can only work with what you have at the time. Did you shoot any further round the lake to the left from this point?

Second one doesn't do much for me it's a bit on the flat side and the boathouse feels too far to the edge to of the frame.

Last edited:
Quite like the first one Steve, I'm spoilt being local seeing alot of this scene and in all honesty it's a scene which works a wee bit better later in the year when the sun is further round first thing so there's more light on the trees and the fells behind at sunrise, but you can only work with what you have at the time. Did you shoot any further round the lake to the left from this point?

No. Someone had set up there and I am not a massive foreground person, rather just go for the split reflection so kept quite to the right where there was less rocks.

I was there that evening but the ripples in the water meant I couldn't really get anything that I wanted. Lit up really nice with the sun behind me - would you not go in the evening?

Second one doesn't do much for me it's a bit on the flat side and the boathouse feels too far to the edge to of the frame.

When I am back this will be in the forefront of my mind. I'd agree, needs something lighting wise to lift it.

Great shots.

I was there on Sunday but it was blowing a bit and the sky was grey so nothing special BUT just being stood anywhere in the lakes is a joy to behold and a bad day with a camera is better than a good day at work :)

Lovely work Steve and well done for getting out there
I was at work when you took these and looking at the light and wishing I was somewhere nice

Last edited:
Lovely work Steve and well done for getting out there
I was at work when you took these and looking at the light and wiching I was somewhere nice

It seemed unfair you guys were getting the lovely warm clear still weather and I was getting shafted by the cold, the wind and the rain.

I'll be back :)

The little ridge of light in no 1 is very nice.

I'd agree 2 needs more drama but, hey, everyone has a version of this shot, including me!

Excellent no I capturing the mountain background certainly gives an overall completion of a great capture.
GEORGE.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the trip, and the rocks in the water in the first are a nice touch to differentiate the reflection from the plain sky.

For me these are not as good as your best, this scene personally is a winter sunrise colourful sky shot for me, with the trees in the second shot then backlit a while later with some mist.

Having said that I prefer the second image, it is warm and perfect as reflections go, perhaps you could consider cropping the house out on the right. The screes on the right then help to form a nice X shape in the scene.

Back