Buttermere and Derwent water

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some shots from Thursday
I went to Buttermere first and which was not great to start with as the light was not great and the reflections came and went so I just waited for a while I was shooting the other way to everyone else when I got this

Buttermere morning by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I then went to Derwent water and had some nice enough light and colour with some OK reflections

Derwent water autumn reflection 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Derwent water autumn reflection by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Derwent water low cloud by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Lovely set Alf- I am planning to spend 2 weeks in Keswick May next year ( Covid dependent) :)

Les

These are classy classy images. Top work and all infinitely better, more captivating, more soulful, more meaningful and more deserving than a certain image that was deemed worthy of a five figure sum recently

Thanks Steve high praise ideed

Lovely set Alf- I am planning to spend 2 weeks in Keswick May next year ( Covid dependent) :)

Les

Thanks Les
Maybe see you if you make it

They are pretty good but I would [suggest to] do a few things differently here.

1. A tiny bit more shadow recovery would help here. I would have placed the tripod a little bit more into the water to avoid the bank on the right. It is a great demonstration of a location that does not work with physical grad filters at all.

2. This has the best contrast of the bunch as is but the top is a bit too dark. It requires perspective correction as you have been evidently tilting the camera up quite significantly. I think I would want a full matching reflection down the bottom, and particularly because it works well to finish such frame with something a little darker. The chemtrail should be relatively easy to clone and is essentially a must.

3. This should be the winner after further edits. It needs top and bottom (sky and reflection) darkened accordingly, and white balance cooled down more towards daylight setting and possibly contrast raised just a little. I think this is worth a go.

4. You are losing the reflection and light here unfortunately.

A great set of images :)

Thanks Steve

1 - is interesting :)

The others though... I can't see anything "classy classy" about them at all, sorry

I guess we'll have to put this down to a difference in tastes

Dave

Thanks Dave

They are pretty good but I would [suggest to] do a few things differently here.

1. A tiny bit more shadow recovery would help here. I would have placed the tripod a little bit more into the water to avoid the bank on the right. It is a great demonstration of a location that does not work with physical grad filters at all.

2. This has the best contrast of the bunch as is but the top is a bit too dark. It requires perspective correction as you have been evidently tilting the camera up quite significantly. I think I would want a full matching reflection down the bottom, and particularly because it works well to finish such frame with something a little darker. The chemtrail should be relatively easy to clone and is essentially a must.

3. This should be the winner after further edits. It needs top and bottom (sky and reflection) darkened accordingly, and white balance cooled down more towards daylight setting and possibly contrast raised just a little. I think this is worth a go.

4. You are losing the reflection and light here unfortunately.

Thanks for the comments

I like all of the shots, Alf.

3 and 4 show the way upland areas often look not bright and sunny but definitely none the worse for that.

2 is excellent in many ways, eg the light on the hillside and wisps of cloud near the top, but I find my eye running around it.

For me number 1 is the one. All the leading are right for me in this one and the sun on the hill is balanced by the darker forest on the right works IMO.

Dave

Very nice light in each of these.
Visually, No2 appeals to me very much.

Thanks Paul

I like all of the shots, Alf.

3 and 4 show the way upland areas often look not bright and sunny but definitely none the worse for that.

2 is excellent in many ways, eg the light on the hillside and wisps of cloud near the top, but I find my eye running around it.

For me number 1 is the one. All the leading are right for me in this one and the sun on the hill is balanced by the darker forest on the right works IMO.

Dave

Thanks Dave

1 and 2 for me but as a set they're all awesome

Thanks Gareth

Back