Critique Buttermere lone tree

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Here is a shot I took back in March of a lone tree in Buttermere does it work?

Lone tree by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I think it would be better with a higher viewpoint & further right, so that the base of the tree & more of the sweep of the bay would be visible.

Works for me, sometimes different viewpoints are not possible!

(Unless you buy a drone, of course!!!)

I think it would be better with a higher viewpoint & further right, so that the base of the tree & more of the sweep of the bay would be visible.

Works for me, sometimes different viewpoints are not possible!

(Unless you buy a drone, of course!!!)

Agreed - but I don't know what's possible and what isn't so I described what I perceived might make it stronger.

Thanks Toni and David
Moving to the right and up would require levitation though a drone may do the job.

I like how you have the tree positioned to the left, I think the clouds and light are causing an issue, something you have little control over.

Hope I've done this right and I'll delete if you like but have you thought of a letterbox crop?

full

and as a mono?

full

Last edited:
I'm OK with the original composition but the foreground rock shadows are quite badly blocked in possibly due to the high dynamic range of the scene. Perhaps a bracketed exposure would have given a better set of tones to work with ?

I think it is best to just say what I really think.

Misery defined. Grey - tick. Too Dark - tick. No light - tick. No reflections - tick. No interesting sky - tick.

On a better day composition may be reasonable. Probably you may want to get reflections and the little bush down below looks irritating in its current state. With leaves, and colourful leaves it might be OK.

I like how you have the tree positioned to the left, I think the clouds and light are causing an issue, something you have little control over.

Thanks Clint but the light is what you get but I suppose I should have another go

Hope I've done this right and I'll delete if you like but have you thought of a letterbox crop?

full

and as a mono?

full

Gareth I was looking at this sort of crop but I think you went too far at the bottom as I feel a slither of water helps

I'm OK with the original composition but the foreground rock shadows are quite badly blocked in possibly due to the high dynamic range of the scene. Perhaps a bracketed exposure would have given a better set of tones to work with ?

Thanks John but I left that rock dark as it is not that asthetically plaesing

I think it is best to just say what I really think.

Misery defined. Grey - tick. Too Dark - tick. No light - tick. No reflections - tick. No interesting sky - tick.

On a better day composition may be reasonable. Probably you may want to get reflections and the little bush down below looks irritating in its current state. With leaves, and colourful leaves it might be OK.

So you do not like it thats up to you

That's a day to be in not out and about taking pictures. You can, and have produced, far far better.

I disagree with the first half of that but thanks for the second half.

Back