Buttermere Pines

Joel Very nice set the first is the best then the third one a close second the other is OK in this company.

I was at work that morning.

Reactions: smr
A wonderful set you have there, the first is a cracker - the light, reflection and the white building, what's not to like...….nice.

Joel Very nice set the first is the best then the third one a close second the other is OK in this company.
I was at work that morning.

Thanks Alf. Yes I'm very glad I stayed until Monday instead of Sunday.

A wonderful set you have there, the first is a cracker - the light, reflection and the white building, what's not to like...….nice.

Thanks very much.

Excellent photography

Thank you!

All 3 are beautiful.
No2 has a great sense of scale, even though it's probably the least informative of the images in terms of details.
The light in No3 is simply sublime.
For me, I'd print and hang No1, no need for the sky, the reflection tells me everything I want to know (although, as above, the 50/50 is a classic image also).

Last edited:
lovely shots and that light is just stunning

Thanks Col.

Last two.

One doesn’t work as the sky is missing from the top. I’d go 50:50 with it

Thanks Steve.

All 3 are beautiful.
No2 has a great sense of scale, even though it's probably the least informative of the images in terms of details.
The light in No3 is simply sublime.
For me, I'd print and hang No1, no need for the sky, the reflection tells me everything I want to know (although, as above, the 50/50 is a classic image also).

Thanks Paul.

Superb shots of my part of the world, one hope one day to get back there.

Oooft those reflection!

Lovely - three and four are my favourites. :)

Lovely set, the first is the standout for me, great reflection and beautiful warm tones.

Smashing set if images.,but loving the 3rd in the set.

Thanks Gary.

Superb shots of my part of the world, one hope one day to get back there.

Thanks Tony. Tis a superb part of the world indeed.

Oooft those reflection!

Thanks!

Lovely - three and four are my favourites. :)

Thanks Trevor.

Lovely set, the first is the standout for me, great reflection and beautiful warm tones.

Thanks Steve.

Lovely, nothing more to say.

Thanks Alan.

Like 2 and 3, but imo 3 needs a little bit of a crop off the top to get rid of the small patch of light on the edge of the frame. Agree with Steve regarding the first.

Cracking set with wonderful, warm light. The last is my pick - print it, frame it and put it on the wall. It’s ace. I think I agree with Steve about the lack of sky in the first though.

Thanks Jason. I've never printed any of my images but I think these may be my first. Will have a look into how best to print them, paper type etc.

Like 2 and 3, but imo 3 needs a little bit of a crop off the top to get rid of the small patch of light on the edge of the frame. Agree with Steve regarding the first.

Thanks Neil. Interesting views on the first. For me, I just like the way the shoreline is perched up on the top third and the mountain can only be seen in the reflection.

The conditions looked great and all shots have their merits. I guess if you want the most original picks go for your first and then the very last pano (maybe with a very small crop taking out the bit of the tree on the left edge).

Stunning. Very well done indeed. I love #3 and #2 though all are superb

Thanks very much Chris.

The conditions looked great and all shots have their merits. I guess if you want the most original picks go for your first and then the very last pano (maybe with a very small crop taking out the bit of the tree on the left edge).

Thanks.

Stunning shots Joel. I'm thinking of going in a couple of weeks. Can you advise where is best to park for sunrise here? Im a NT member. How far walk is it from car? Is it a clear path? Lastly, can the lone tree and the sentinels be done within the sunrise window or is it too far between them? I know one is North shore and the other is South. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

Stunning shots Joel. I'm thinking of going in a couple of weeks. Can you advise where is best to park for sunrise here? Im a NT member. How far walk is it from car? Is it a clear path? Lastly, can the lone tree and the sentinels be done within the sunrise window or is it too far between them? I know one is North shore and the other is South. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

Thanks Jason, you can park on the side of the road before the pines if you get there early enough, space for a couple of cars just as the pines come into view (assuming you are driving from the north shore to the south). If not there's a car park if you carry on over the bridge next to the pines, near Gatesgarth farm then a 5 minute walk.

I'm not sure about the lone tree and the pines in one visit at sunrise, may be pushing it a bit, but then it depends on how close to sunrise you want each shot I guess. I've never walked from one to the other.

What I do when planning a location is use Google maps aerial view and also street view if needed to try and work out distances / where to park etc. Hope that helps.

Its about a 20 to 30 minutes walk from one location to the other it can be done on the same morning

I know it is the classic shot, but a simple 50:50 crop of the first would be the shot I'd have gone for out of this set. Great light and nice warm colours.

Delightful pictures - the lighting is both delicate and powerful.
I don't know if you faced the problem that I would have had when faced with that scene, i.e. what do I crop out or leave in ? There seems to be infinite possibilities (y)

I know it is the classic shot, but a simple 50:50 crop of the first would be the shot I'd have gone for out of this set. Great light and nice warm colours.

Thanks Craig.

Astonishing photos, all of them.

Thanks David.

Delightful pictures - the lighting is both delicate and powerful.
I don't know if you faced the problem that I would have had when faced with that scene, i.e. what do I crop out or leave in ? There seems to be infinite possibilities (y)

Thanks Doug, yes it took some cropping and thought. In the first image I had to clone out a sizeable rock which was sitting where the reflected clouds are. You wouldn't know though, amazing the clone tools in LR and PS.

Back