Buying/ the classified section.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
May I just make a polite point re buying items in the classified section.
If you respond to any of the adverts saying you'd like to buy something, but for whatever reason you change your mind, please have the decency to leave a message to this effect, it would save time and make life easier for everyone!

Thanks guys and gals.
cheers

classifieds is pretty much dead anyway?

And for sellers, leave the selling price once the item is sold..
And of course don't forget to mark it "Sold" ( from the drop down menu) that's one of the biggest bug bares that get's RTM'd

Last edited:
classifieds is pretty much dead anyway?
Its still pretty active, but of course long gone are the day's of a "proper bargain"
And as I understand it, most are heading towards the likes of mpb to sell their kit.
For various reasons, which I won't go into or I'll sound like an advert for them ;)

And of course don't forget to mark it "Sold" ( from the drop down menu) that's one of the biggest bug bares that get's RTM'd

guilty... not of doing it but of reporting it.... its lazy and ignorant :(

guilty... not of doing it but of reporting it.
You've nothing to feel guilty about I / we can't be everywhere and yes it is annoying as hell!

I'll be looking at buying some kit in a few weeks, is MPB the 'go to' place these days rather than classifieds? I'm reluctant to buy new if I can let someone else take a hit on new stuff, but saying that I'm not averse to buying a grey import if the price is right (I was buying grey import motorbikes years ago with no issues but great savings).

check out WEX first longer warranty period i.e 12 months no quibble

I'll be looking at buying some kit in a few weeks, is MPB the 'go to' place these days rather than classifieds? I'm reluctant to buy new if I can let someone else take a hit on new stuff, but saying that I'm not averse to buying a grey import if the price is right (I was buying grey import motorbikes years ago with no issues but great savings).

there was a time when grey import bikes were a right bargain, I nearly bought one from George whites and DK were doing some great deals.

Personally I've found WEX excellent, their customer service particularly re returns etc is excellent. Also be aware of some other well known sellers, there's one who regularly describes gear as very good when in reality it often looks like it's been kicked around
the floor ! I'll not mention who they are just beware and inspect goods thoroughly!
cheers

It's a pity as the classifieds here should be much more active than it is considering the membership. Unfortunately, sellers are often unrealistic and the amount of sales threads I see with no pictures of the thousands of pounds of items for sale is quite unbelievable. If there's one thing I would have thought it reasonable to expect was a good set of sharp images, considering this is a photography forum but nope..
Add to that buyers who all too often want stuff at waaay below the real value and lo and behold the recipe for decline was set. That said, I always check here first and normally place an ad here first but all too often it's easier to sell it to the likes of MPB and buy from WEX with a warranty. The latter two also have a funny habit of providing pictures, too!

there was a time when grey import bikes were a right bargain, I nearly bought one from George whites and DK were doing some great deals.
Yeah I bought my grey ones from DK in the potteries. Them were the days, motorbikes and no kids, weekends were all mine!

Fair advice, depending on what you are after. If it is Fuji stuff, you'd best check out their own refurbished prices on the Fujifilm site first as they come with a full 12 months warranty, and may well be not much different from some private sales without warranty.

Yeah I bought my grey ones from DK in the potteries. Them were the days, motorbikes and no kids, weekends were all mine!
Yep me too as well as grey imports I've bought my last two officially imported bikes from them as well
They gave me a much better trade in deal than my local dealer

Add to that buyers who all too often want stuff at waaay below the real value!
The "cheeky offer" crowd are why I don't sell on here. Can't be bothered with people like that, I won't waste my time to even respond, but then they have the audacity to get annoyed when ignored.

"If you don't ask, you don't get" someone told me. You do get, yes. You get ignored. I don't want trouble with the mods so I don't bother.

The "cheeky offer" crowd are why I don't sell on here. Can't be bothered with people like that, I won't waste my time to even respond, but then they have the audacity to get annoyed when ignored.

"If you don't ask, you don't get" someone told me. You do get, yes. You get ignored. I don't want trouble with the mods so I don't bother.
know what you mean, i had lots of those types of offers when I was selling my decent race bike, £10k of race bike and chancers were offering me £7.5k to take it off my hands and not pay eBay fees. Maybe not. I dont mind half reasonable offers but not stupid ones.

'Cheeky offer' can be an expression that says "I would like to open negotiations", rather than "I want to rob you blind". Also if your goods have been up long enough to start attracting lowball 'cheeky offers' then there's a fair chance you were asking more than the market would bear. Well priced items often have a couple of people chasing them.

I don't want trouble with the mods so I don't bother.
You won't get "trouble" from the mods, the rules clearly state
  • Assume the item is for sale elsewhere too.
  • If you want to buy something, buy it! Don't mess around being a cheapskate, someone will beat you to it, and it will be your fault.
  • No editing of posts to change an offer.
  • No price pointing unless it's accompanied by an explicit offer and a link to the other vendor containing proof. Price pointing to overseas retailers isn't allowed.

At one time were forever reminding people not to bump their thread in less than 24 hours, as some would do it every few hours.
Now threads auto archive after 5 ( I think it is) days of inactivity, we get quite a few requests to un archive their threads.
How times change eh?

I made a very cheeky offer in Sainsbury's a couple of years ago. They were knocking out a 49" TV for around 50% off and I made an offer of 1/2 that price, saying that it was a very cheeky offer that I wasn't expecting them to take - and they didn't BUT they did drop another 10% off the discounted price. TBH, if they hadn't dropped the price further, I'd have bought it anyway. However, if a seller says "no offers", I won't make an offer on it - if I'm willing to pay the price they're asking, I'll buy the item.

I see a "Cheeky Offer" as an opening gambit, an offer to negotiate if you like. It's how these things work.
I've posted quite a few things for sale here, sometimes successfully. Other times I've been surprised at the lack of response, in those cases I'll invite a cheeky offer saying you may be surprised.
I've had things fall off the bottom of the page that I'd have been prepared to pretty much give away, but no one made an offer so I still have them gathering dust.

I see a "Cheeky Offer" as an opening gambit,
I see nothing wrong with a cheeky offer, its the ones that really take the p***, that the "rules" / guidelines were written for.

May I just make a polite point re buying items in the classified section.
If you respond to any of the adverts saying you'd like to buy something, but for whatever reason you change your mind, please have the decency to leave a message to this effect, it would save time and make life easier for everyone!

Thanks guys and gals.
cheers

Yep, unfortunately there are some who simply have no respect. I had one a few days ago.

Back