Buzard

Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all. Im new to photography so apologies for the average images but i just wanted to share a red letter day. Buzards are so sharp eyed they are a git to photograph well atleast for me. This is a young bird this years chick possibly. A Wild bird (not tame )comming to bait. 13 hours waiting gave two visits.
AF4Z4483 by rich parkes, on Flickr

fabulous shot, well caught (y)
I think most folk would be very pleased to have taken that ;)

I would be chuffed to bits to have taken that, well done. :)

Nah Richard that isn't average at all,;)ha and they are sharp as hell aren't they . Buddy do you have more to the left,nit picking as one does:)

Richard all credit for the patience,one waits for hours and it happens in thousandth's of a second, tis a strange game wildlife image making.

Good for you a belter of a frame !! :cool:

what camera lens etc kiddo?? I'm curious as to prime or zoom
Cheers for sharing, tis one of the nicest buzzard images i've seen for ages I don't mind the HA it works. You should be proud of your self mate. Their eye's are amazing we all see then all the time but rarely do they allow us close bar drive by's . There is some effort here to get past their instincts. you should be proud of that !

Welcome kiddo,hell of start:)

stu

Nah Richard that isn't average at all.

Good for you a belter of a frame !! :cool:

what camera lens etc kiddo??

stu

@Richard Parkes as Stu.......says it is a belter and you have not posted an average image. It does you credit to have gotten the sort of wildlife raptor picture anyone would crave to get.........and then call it average.

Stu @Stuart Philpott the exif on Flickr says 1Dx and the 600mm f4. So nice bundle of second hand gear Richard picked up!

Morning all thanks for the nice comments it gives me a great lift to know im going the right way. Yes i will look at the crop again my head was saying to leave as much space to the right as that is where he is looking. Mammals are my real passion mustelids in particular. My old gear and experience level was ok for record shots. I got the dx after trying a guys canon and realizing just how good the af was. I chose the dx knowing it was going to get wet and knocked about thinking atleast it would have a chance of surviving!! I brought a couple of sigma lenses to begin with and although they were quite sharp they just didnt want to talk to the camera when i tried using them at night under red light. Left me no option if i was going to enjoy the camera. I have just enrolled at college for an evening class to hopefully learn to use my flashes. Looking forward to the next few months when the undergrowth starts to die back. Just need to find some ginger (erythristic) badgers and get to know them ready for the spring. On another note i love this forum. People are being very helpful unlike many of my previous experiences in other fields where confusing ones own opinion for fact was often the norm. Thanks rich

lunch bell by rich parkes, on Flickr

@Richard Parkes as Stu.......says it is a belter and you have not posted an average image. It does you credit to have gotten the sort of wildlife raptor picture anyone would crave to get.........and then call it average.

Stu @Stuart Philpott the exif on Flickr says 1Dx and the 600mm f4. So nice bundle of second hand gear Richard picked up!

Why thank you kind sir, Laurence I asked because I was musing as per norm:rolleyes::) IE,if the frame is uncropped,then Richard is a tiny bit close to bait.....my reasoning he's scuppered himself for any chance of take off images. Once buzzy opens those big ol wings.......nuff said

. Richard has said he's new,so I felt this worthy of mention Laurence,it's exactly where I keep getting caught out myself. Ok the blummin hare isn't meant to come see me ,but that's not meant to be in the script anyway.:D. It's not an easy thing judging distance especially when subject isn't in frame. I felt this worth mentioning is might help richard although he's off to a flier anyway;)

thanks kiddo yup that is a nice little bundle:cool:

As already said, a lovely start you have made. I would also agree about just a little more space to the left. You could even give a little more to the right, which would ironically, allow you to use just a little more to the left as well, it's a balance thing. It's a lovely image though, exposed well, sharp and lovly DOF too.

There's irony involved with the red kite too, not that long ago, they were rare, now they've almost become the modern day gull, there are so many. They are special birds though.

Cracking shot Richard (y), agree though, crops a bit tight

I agree with Stu here, great suggestion mate :whistle:

Buddy do you have more to the left........infact have you tried a landscape crop

Sorry Stu, couldn't resist :pwould be a good idea though........... just bit of an ongoing joke between me and Stu, I'm not a fan of portrait crops for wild birds Richard :D

have to agree just like a record shot i was too close for the 600 some great shots of him stretching his wings or should i say bits of his wings still a great day for me what did you think of the kite? rich

The kite is well executed Rich but it doesn't float my boat personally,I guess that is because we wildlife image makers think almost as much about the BKG as we do subject,the bkg( background) isn't terribly attractive which kills the image for me. This is a very personal thing Rich it doesn't work for me ,but it might for others. No point in me being other than honest with ya mate it's well made but not for me tis all I would also declare that I don't much care for much made by man in my own efforts,to I do have" baggage" here,Ok, drystone walls are an exception:) !!

Rich forgive me and Phil,we do have a crack but we like many want the best for each other image wise,it's a good place to be We can be very critical of each others efforts while still taking the mick and having fun it also means we learn,which is why we are all here. Folks can get upset by critique,but it's such a buildling block for an image maker it's worth embracing folks give me their ideas. He he without knowing how big the crop is my mate may well be right:eek: I guess with thoughts of wings stretching then the landscape orientation is where I'd probably be,aswell,after nailing me portrait that is;) (I haven't linked him in if he sees this I'll never hear the last of it:LOL:) Even though you have posted really a cool buzzy image my thoughts image wise instantly turn to how did he take off,I guess that's what drives most wildlife image makers....what's the best I can grab from a given senario. In all honesty this dance between the two orientations is an art form with close wildlife,I mainly shoot hares they are taxing !!

Oh kiddo I seem to make images of beasties rather than birds no idea why I adore birdz, I'd love to see these ginger badgers can't wait till spring mate too old,can ya grab some sooner please :D

seeya

stu

keep the honest criticism coming its the only way i can learn my own feeling is boring boring boring but i am getting more used to the kit so hopefully i can start to develop some style as for the kites i chose the car park in an attempt to get something different the contrast of beauty against man made.... well back to the drawing board on that one. i will get there. as for the ginger badgers the one i had found is no longer with us but i have a new area too investigate where the gene is quite common or so i have been told will keep you posted. thanks rich

Re: the Red Kite ~ I did see your post though cannot find the post again.

The one thing that stood out to me was that they were being fed in a 'human environment' IMO that sort of feeding is something that should never go on. Yes, I know they are fed in the mid Wales farms but that is a more natural environment and AFAIK a much more regulated arrangement.

Feeding them in a suburban area has IMO stopped their natural dispersal......this has caused conflict where they get blamed for attacking & taking small live prey of domestic pets. (NB though carrion eaters AFAIK they will at certain times take some live prey when competition for food is high due to population density ~ caused in part by residential feeding :( )

If where you took that picture is one of those suburban places that feeds them "as an attraction" then were I you I would avoid it ..........going there is simply adding to the Red Kites problem(s).

Im with you on that one. There have been if memory serves 5 main reintroduction projects since the mid 80's when the uk breeding population was only a handful of pairs. The chiltern birds achieved a spread of some 40 to 50 miles in the first 20 years the first bird being recorded in london in 2006. Kites have an association with urban living even back in tudor times probably in no small part due to mans persecution in rural areas which lets face it are more akin to open air factories nowerdays. I have a constant struggle with my interaction with the creatures i observe. My main stomping ground is a 9ha area of semi ancient woodland with a small area of unmanaged pasture. This forms part of a 105ha ancient forest remnant. I share access with two others and im proud to say you will not find a single path through the entire area. But our impact on the area is still evident. Local wildlife is aware of our presence and less timid than in a busy public access reserve. The badgers have sent marked my boots before now. Is that a good thing i think not. Such a difficult balance to strike. I hope i have gone someway to reasure you i am a naturalist first and a photographer second. Maybe the kites worming behind the farmers plough would have been a better image than them hunting bread infront of a bmw. No argument on that one. Thanks im enjoying this chat. Not really bothered with the social media concept before. Quite enjoyable.

Back