Buzzard eating dead lamb

Congratulations on catching the Buzzard Regan :clap::clap::clap: It's a fantastic feeling to get a view like that and getting close enough don't you think. Looking forward to more(y)

Excellent capture! Buzzards are not the easiest to get!

TFS

Hi is this from a hide ,i presume if you were waiting three hours it was

Yes its from a fixed hide - distance to subject about 20 metres. The raven is very wary at the moment as he has to come in on his own because the female is sitting on eggs but usually comes 3 or 4 times a day. The buzzard always takes about 3 hours to appear but can stay for upto 45 minutes -then don't see it for a couple of days.

Regen

just a point of interest - I thought that it was illegal to leave dead livestock in fields

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fallen-stock

the downside of this is that Griffon Vulture and similar have been moving northwards in Europe, (to find food), as all dead animals have to be cleared from fields etc., under EU law

Last edited:
Reading that link, it only refers to "fallen" stock that's died on the land. It might be legal to leave slaughtered carcasses out for feeding/luring birds of prey to a spot close to a hide. (Note the "might", I don't know for sure.)

Oh dear looks as though I had better only FIND foxes, rabbits and pheasants in future!090236 8519 buzzard (Buteo buteo) landing on dead fox.jpg060075 3305 Buzzard (Buteo buteo) at rabbit front view in heather close up.jpg101504 6171 Buzzard (Buteo buteo) feeding on dead pheasant.jpg

"As per Bills interest as well, was the dead lamb placed there ....ie baited for the Buzzard"

"Still does not answewr the question
But judging by the photos its a baited Buzzard, and the red kite as well"

Actually I was not answering your one liner Den I was replying to Bills valid point regarding the legality of leaving fallen stock on the land. It is indeed the stock owners responsibility to ensure that fallen stock is disposed of correctly. In the uplands some do but many don't. Sheep often wander into the forestry and remain there alive, often breeding, for years. I do not believe that it is Joe publics responsibility to report or even inform the owner of his loss. -Not usually possible with lambs under 9 months as they are not tagged.

With the exception of the fox (which was exactly where a local farmer chucked it after removing it from a snare) all the others are baited if your definition is that the carcass is not exactly where it was found dead. The pheasant was road kill and placed there so that remote wide angle could be used with a clear view/line back to the hide some 30 metres away.

The rabbit was placed in that position because i believed the buzzard would be more likely to come from the cover of the trees behind and there was a really good place for the hide in a large conifer.

So they are baited buzzards but i really don't know why you are getting so excited as i had already answered you at 9.

Regen

but i really don't know why you are getting so excited
I am not getting excited ,i have baited more animals to get shots than you have had hot dinners,you see i work on a farm and one of my owl sites is situated in a working farm.
Just interested in how the lamb arrived were it was ,and i do know all about what farmers get up with dead livestock i have fallen over many a dead one when i have been out and about at dark in winter with just a torch .

my comment was not a criticism, it was just stating a fact

I came across this because of problems by Griffon Vultures in the French Alps

I think that to apply this law "blanket like" in the EU is wrong as far as wildlife is concerned

Last edited:
Back