Non UK Camargue ~ any advice about.......

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Since a holiday years ago when we saw the Flamingos and a brief sighting of the white horses........i have had a hankering to go again especially to photograph the horses but the organised 'safaris' are quite costly!

So, has anyone been on such an organised trip and/or a non structured trip that gave some ad hoc opportunities to see and photograph the horses???

TIA :)

I have edited the title to encompass more aspects ;)

Having looked up more about the place mention is made about the need for insect repellent (spray). In the past I have read that as such insect repellent can vary in type and efficacy it is best(?) to but it in the area rather than buy it here in the UK and take with you! So had anyone done that and how 'did it work out for you'?

As mentioned above I hope to see the horses but will not ignore the birdlife.......................so any suggestions for specific areas with good hides and/or walks & viewing points that you can recommend?

TIA for the insights etc :)

As far as insect repellent goes.......
Over the past 10 years we tried numerous products and most were utterly useless but then we found Repel 100....brilliant stuff. It contains Deet which is a contaversial ingrediemt but it does work.
On the up side, there's a very noticeable reduction in insect numbers this year...crisis level for the insect eating birds and bats so you might get away without needing anything on an automatic basis. I spend a lot of time around lakes and always applied the stuff before going out however this year I've taken to sticking in my pocket just in case and have only used it once all summer.

As far as insect repellent goes.......
Over the past 10 years we tried numerous products and most were utterly useless but then we found Repel 100....brilliant stuff. It contains Deet which is a contaversial ingrediemt but it does work.
On the up side, there's a very noticeable reduction in insect numbers this year...crisis level for the insect eating birds and bats so you might get away without needing anything on an automatic basis. I spend a lot of time around lakes and always applied the stuff before going out however this year I've taken to sticking in my pocket just in case and have only used it once all summer.
Hi Bob

Yes, I had read in the past that Deet ingredient was effective bit recall that of residue left on one's hands it was found to be detrimental to plastic/rubber components of camera bodies :

Never heard of Repel 100, on another forum someone spoke highly of the top grade on Boots branded. Will look up Repel and see if listed in UK.

Your point about (insect) biomass reducing has been in the press the past couple of years......notably in regard to windscreen fly splats by a German report.

PS for a modest cost and precaution I am thinking of getting a mosquito net hood, as you say like the Repel 100 an on the pocket precaution.

Last edited:
Back