Cambridge wedding, my first.

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
Shot my first (and probably last) wedding in May. Here's a few - I'll update as and when.

B%26S-01-0006.jpg

B%26S-01-0044.jpg

B%26S-01-0183.jpg

B%26S-01-0201.jpg

B%26S-06-1242.jpg

B%26S-06-1299.jpg

B%26S-06-1476.jpg

B%26S-06-1340.jpg

Last edited:
I think these are lovely images but they don't really scream wedding to me! Do you have more from the ceremony etc?
Does look like a very fun time though, which I think you have captured well.

I think these are lovely images but they don't really scream wedding to me! Do you have more from the ceremony etc?
Does look like a very fun time though, which I think you have captured well.
Thanks Mark. You are quite right, I've just been lazy in choosing and resizing the images this evening. I have quite a few prep, ceremony and Cambridge walkabout images which I will add at some stage. The venue was less than inspiring.

Thanks Mark. You are quite right, I've just been lazy in choosing and resizing the images this evening. I have quite a few prep, ceremony and Cambridge walkabout images which I will add at some stage. The venue was less than inspiring.

haha fair enough :) I like what I see so far so I'm looking forward to seeing if you post more.

I've added some prep images and will update once I have some more time.

Some great pictures, for you first wedding, so why your last ? It is hard to get everything right first time, you get a list of what they want photos, off the bride, and that alone is massive, I then get shots like yours, taking in the venue and using it to its maximum advantage, go with what you would expect and the results will be worth it [emoji3]

Some great pictures, for you first wedding, so why your last ? It is hard to get everything right first time, you get a list of what they want photos, off the bride, and that alone is massive, I then get shots like yours, taking in the venue and using it to its maximum advantage, go with what you would expect and the results will be worth it [emoji3]
Thanks very much. I'm just not sure I'm cut out for it. I did enjoy it though.
I really like those shots, they capture the happiness of the day.
Thanks Andy.

Last edited:
Some from the wedding breakfast/speeches.

B%26S-04-0859.jpg

B%26S-04-0900.jpg

B%26S-04-0989.jpg

B%26S-04-1035.jpg

B%26S-04-1041.jpg

B%26S-04-1063.jpg

B%26S-04-1064.jpg

B%26S-04-1078.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely set of images, really like the processing on these (y)
Thanks Joe. I struggled a bit with consistency due to the lighting, purple carpet inside, red carpet outside - the dress reflects everything!

Good set so far.
Well done for your first wedding.
Thanks.

There great , you have captured the fun of the day and the walk about pictures are brill, keep up the great work .
Thanks for that - the walk about was my favourite part of the day.

Well, I didn't comment when you posted the first eight, but here goes now ...

I remember taking exactly the same shoes shot at one of my first weddings, and mine didn't work any better than yours has. You've taken a photographer's picture. The one that brides want is a nice pack shot of their wedding shoes, preferably in context. Not something "creative", unless it still shows the shoes to good advantage.

The second is very close to being a cracker. Your timing was obviously out, but I reckon you could to some extent salvage it by cropping tighter on the bride.

Third one would have been great if they were all facing you. As it stands, it's a photographer's picture.

Well seen, well caught, but not obvious to anybody else what's going on, so not one for your portfolio if you want more weddings.

Snogging in the punt is too obscure for anybody but the couple themselves. Either you didn't see it in time, or you were trying too hard.

The one with the champagne bottle's well caught, but I'd bin the other two punting shots. Compared to what else you got, they're Uncle Bob's snaps.

The remainder are at worst very competently done. Some of them are bloody excellent.

Ignoring the first eight you put up, I can't see a single thing about any of them which indicates to me that there's anything in particular that you need to work on. In fact the only real nits I can pick are ...

Pub dining sign - you needed to lean right a bit to get more separation between his head and that clutter behind/above it

Crossing the road - it's only just there as a picture. I reckon it'd be stronger with a tighter crop.

Hug in middle of road - I'd lighten them a bit to get better separation between his face in particular and the background. They're tending to merge into it, probably because of the treatment you've given it.

Heads on the bridge - is a near miss AFAIC. It's very close to working but you really needed to be further to your left to get just a bit more of them and the bouquet. (And yes, I do realise it's a grab shot)

Bridesmaid with her present - again, it's sooooooooooo close to being a good 'un, but we really needed to see just a bit more face (and yes, I have been there, taken the same picture and kicked myself later - many times ...)

And that's about it, except to say that the effects are a bit over-done for many normal people's (ie potential customers') taste, but the straight processing's fine

If this really is a first wedding, it's exceptionally good, and IMO you'd be daft not to do some more. But if you do, ffs don't go studying other wedding snappers' pictures much more. You're seeing the pictures just fine as it is, and some of the ones you're seeing are ones that a lot of wedding snappers wouldn't - mainly because it's all new to you and you're going into it with your eyes wide open.

Nice one mister.

Last edited:
If this really is a first wedding, it's exceptionally good, and IMO you'd be daft not to do some more. But if you do, ffs don't go studying other wedding snappers' pictures much more. You're seeing the pictures just fine as it is, and some of the ones you're seeing are ones that a lot of wedding snappers wouldn't - mainly because it's all new to you and you're going into it with your eyes wide open.

Nice one mister.

+1. The walkabout set are particularly good.

Well, I didn't comment when you posted the first eight, but here goes now ...

I remember taking exactly the same shoes shot at one of my first weddings, and mine didn't work any better than yours has. You've taken a photographer's picture. The one that brides want is a nice pack shot of their wedding shoes, preferably in context. Not something "creative", unless it still shows the shoes to good advantage.

The second is very close to being a cracker. Your timing was obviously out, but I reckon you could to some extent salvage it by cropping tighter on the bride.

Third one would have been great if they were all facing you. As it stands, it's a photographer's picture.

Well seen, well caught, but not obvious to anybody else what's going on, so not one for your portfolio if you want more weddings.

Snogging in the punt is too obscure for anybody but the couple themselves. Either you didn't see it in time, or you were trying too hard.

The one with the champagne bottle's well caught, but I'd bin the other two punting shots. Compared to what else you got, they're Uncle Bob's snaps.

The remainder are at worst very competently done. Some of them are bloody excellent.

Ignoring the first eight you put up, I can't see a single thing about any of them which indicates to me that there's anything in particular that you need to work on. In fact the only real nits I can pick are ...

Pub dining sign - you needed to lean right a bit to get more separation between his head and that clutter behind/above it

Crossing the road - it's only just there as a picture. I reckon it'd be stronger with a tighter crop.

Hug in middle of road - I'd lighten them a bit to get better separation between his face in particular and the background. They're tending to merge into it, probably because of the treatment you've given it.

Heads on the bridge - is a near miss AFAIC. It's very close to working but you really needed to be further to your left to get just a bit more of them and the bouquet. (And yes, I do realise it's a grab shot)

Bridesmaid with her present - again, it's sooooooooooo close to being a good 'un, but we really needed to see just a bit more face (and yes, I have been there, taken the same picture and kicked myself later - many times ...)

And that's about it, except to say that the effects are a bit over-done for many normal people's (ie potential customers') taste, but the straight processing's fine

Nice one mister.

Thanks for the extensive feedback Dan, it's very much appreciated. I wouldn't argue with anything you say, and I did actually laugh out loud at the uncle Bob comment - even though I think the punt shots were ok/quite good, but I do see your point. As you can imagine I have a ton more of the punting, perhaps some better, perhaps not.

When you say "the effects are a bit overdone...but straight processing's fine" - what do you mean exactly? I ask as they were all processed through ACR with no effects as such, just tweaks, cropping etc. I did tone down my taste a fair bit for the processing too.

Yep, definitely my first wedding. Perhaps I will have a think about doing some more in future, but there were 'interaction aspects' that I struggled with a bit, though I knew in advance I would.

Thanks again for your time.

You're most welcome Joe. Honest critique helped us more than anything, so I do try to pay it back ;)

Ref overdone effects, that's me pushed for time and short of caffeine. For "effects" read "vignette". Otherwise, I reckon the processing's spot on for any bride bar the daftest/most easily influenced by bridal blogs.

Ref struggling with interaction, the way forward is simply to avoid it so far as possible. And trust me, you'd be very surprised how much of it you can avoid. Seriously!

These are very good, in particular I love the walkabout shots, both in composition and processing.

It's easy to come away from a wedding exhausted and sometimes jaded, but I always put that down to effort, always being on your toes and the fact it's a very long day.

In reflection, I always find it rewarding.

Don't make this set your last set :)

Last edited:
These are very good, in particular I love the walkabout shots, both in composition and processing.

It's easy to come away from a wedding exhausted and sometimes jaded, but I always put that down to effort, always being on your toes and the fact it's a very long day.

In reflection, I always find it rewarding.

Don't make this set your last set :)
Thanks man, I appreciate the advice, and you're partially right about feeling a bit jaded.

Back