Camera Club Comp Choice

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Any chance someone could give opinions on which to enter. I need to choose 2.

Gaz

IMG_2959_background_change.jpg

IMG_3606_alfie_sofie.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3830_email_size.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a theme to the competition?

I do like No 3, I think its very clever and also No 1 because of the great character. But this choice may not be suitable for a club comp as its two very similar portrait style images.

Is there a theme to the competition?

I do like No 3, I think its very clever and also No 1 because of the great character. But this choice may not be suitable for a club comp as its two very similar portrait style images.
Hi Mark. No they are open competitions. Sorry I missed one.
Thanks for the reply.

Gaz

Last edited:
You have sneaked another picture since I posted and makes the selection more difficult as I reckon that No5 is another winner. So may be No 1 and 5

You have sneaked another picture since I posted and makes the selection more difficult as I reckon that No5 is another winner. So may be No 1 and 5
Sorry. It is most unusual I have a few to choose from:)

Gaz

Has to be number 5, number 1 is good but the framing on 5 is better and the image is a bot stronger IMO.

I think 4 & 5 are the strongest but maybe too similar so would probably say 1 & 5

Hi i would choose 5 and then look for another as 4 is just too similar and IMHO not as good

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the time taken to comment.

Gaz

Well that sums it up. 1 and 5 it is.
Well lyk how it all ends :)

Two weeks time.

Gaz

2 and 5. 1 has a super expression, but that white top does it no favours. I can imagine what a judge might say. The dog portraits are cute, but I would crop off a bit from the bottom to lose that bit of body that sticks out bottom left. 3 is fun, but a bit too bright. Good luck with the comp, let us know what happens.

If you could just make the transition more subtle in #3, then my choices would be #3 & #5.

Last edited:
Thanks Carol & Kodiak.

I was just about to resize my images and send them off. You have put a spanner the works now :)
My Thoughts are.
Number 5 Seems a firm one to send.
Number 4 The weakest as the pose is to contrived and not moody enough.
Number 3 Which I liked because it's different but I was thinking it may be a bit gimmicky.
Number 2 I do like as two dogs have not come up before in a comp, whilst I have been at the club anyway. That said I have had a great run this year and won 2 comps with dog portraits.
Plus a tip from other members was to Google the judge to see what photos he takes "All cloak and dagger this stuff" All his own stuff seems to be travel portraits may not matter though.
Number 1 Like because of the exspression more than anything, well plus the freckles add something for me.

Gaz

Too late for your competition ..... for me 5 BUT in B&w

Too late for your competition ..... for me 5 BUT in B&w
Thanks Chris. Yes I sent them in. Thinking I should have included the dogs really as other dog photos have gone down well this year but hey ho it is supposed to be fun but it's allways good to do well as at least you feel your are going in the right direction.

Gaz

As you know i'm not that good with Back and white so would not have thought to convert.

Any chance someone could give opinions on which to enter. I need to choose 2.

Gaz

IMG_2959_background_change.jpg

IMG_3606_alfie_sofie.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3830_email_size.jpg

bbb by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

two clicks on silver efex pro
red filter and then add structure

dont hesitate, its no 5 if you want a natural winner and not over posed or too ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just an update on this, only fare as so many of you good people helped me out. Both images scored 16 :-( Shame really as I have had a really good run this year there was only 2 points in this years overall dpi winner, I was 2 points in front before this comp.
Died a death though my 2 points were squashed as the guy whom was running in second place won with 20 points and 19 points for a second place.

I may start speaking to him again after a few weeks :)

Thanks again everyone.

Gaz

Judges, eh? It's a lottery...... One judge will give you a 15 but another would give you 18 for the same photo. That's why I don't bother any more.

Judges, eh? It's a lottery...... One judge will give you a 15 but another would give you 18 for the same photo. That's why I don't bother any more.
:) Hi Rob. Shame you don't submit any more.I know where you are coming from it can be disheartening when that happens, which it does time and time again. Do you still attend the club?

Gaz

Hi Gaz... Yes, still attend the club regularly. We have some excellent speakers and I see a lot of good,photography. Occasionally the Comp Sec will let us know if the numbers of entries in the monthly competition is on the low side and I'll then put three digitals in to boost the numbers but I have no real interest in competitions per se. I find that some judges (usually the less experienced ones) have a 'hobby horse' that affects their marking and you end up thinking.. "Who's the judge... Oh, he likes square shots... he hates detail in the background...he doesn't like urbex... he is extremely critical of unshaprness"... and so on. I don't want to do stuff simply to please a judge's tastes and they are such an inconsistent lot, so that's basically why I don't bother any more.

I find myself more inclined to distinctions, in truth. I am thinking about doing the LRPS next summer. We have an appraisal day at our club next May so I am considering getting ten good prints ready for then. The LRPS is more about displaying photographic competence than artistic endeavour - I attended a workshop a couple of weeks ago presented by two FRPS holders who gave some excellent advice and showed a series of successful panels and I'm pretty confident that I've got two, or perhaps even three shots that would be good enough..... better blow the dust off the camera, eh?

Hi Gaz... Yes, still attend the club regularly. We have some excellent speakers and I see a lot of good,photography. Occasionally the Comp Sec will let us know if the numbers of entries in the monthly competition is on the low side and I'll then put three digitals in to boost the numbers but I have no real interest in competitions per se. I find that some judges (usually the less experienced ones) have a 'hobby horse' that affects their marking and you end up thinking.. "Who's the judge... Oh, he likes square shots... he hates detail in the background...he doesn't like urbex... he is extremely critical of unshaprness"... and so on. I don't want to do stuff simply to please a judge's tastes and they are such an inconsistent lot, so that's basically why I don't bother any more.

I find myself more inclined to distinctions, in truth. I am thinking about doing the LRPS next summer. We have an appraisal day at our club next May so I am considering getting ten good prints ready for then. The LRPS is more about displaying photographic competence than artistic endeavour - I attended a workshop a couple of weeks ago presented by two FRPS holders who gave some excellent advice and showed a series of successful panels and I'm pretty confident that I've got two, or perhaps even three shots that would be good enough..... better blow the dust off the camera, eh?
We have speakers too same goes on there,some not so good and some very good. Although we have a moan and a groan at what the judges say and what speakers we have I am of the opinion that it is something I could never do and most of us will never step up to the mark and speak out in front of a crowd or for that matter make suggestons either so I give them full credit for getting up there and putting on an evevning for us all.
We too get the email to say comp entires are down so they extend the deadline for a week, this usually works and we have around 35/40 entries (only 2 dpi each at ours". So there is a fare few that don't enter which is fine, as I never did at first. As I only take photos of random stuff (sort of typical everyday things you see on flickr) and like you say when you join a club all that shallow dof (which is why you buy dslr camera to be a bit more creative) is frowned upon for the most part :-(
In the end you have got to enter images that you like as you just couldnt take a photo for any other reason,as I did above.I was well happy with these two as they are the first few portraits that I have taken where I actually asked the subject if I could take there portrait.
Where we differ is I see these letters after names and have no clue what they are and on the breif description you have given it would not be something I would endevour to do. It seems like it would suck the amusment/fun right out of photography for me.On a plus note. I guess going down that route the judging is strict right accross the board, therefore much more consistant.

Good luck with it !!!

Gaz

Back