Camera Raw XMP only works with RAW image

Edit My Images
Yes
I wonder if this is something that someone would be able to help me with.

There is an event - well a tournament that I cover for a client and it's been going on for over a year now.
And they use their own preset that I apply to the images in Camera Raw.
Usually pretty basic and simple thing to do...

However, I changed laptops over the new year - and of course re-installed Adobe, etc to the new computer (both MacBook Pro's)

And now this week there are the next games, and I was just checking that the preset works as normal.

But - when trying to apply it to JPEG image, it gives an error message in Camera Raw saying it is not compatible with that type of file/image.
Then when trying to apply it to a RAW image.. it works fine.

The preset is created and sent to me as an XMP file - so I don't know the in's and out's of it.
But is it possible to create a preset that really only works on RAW images?? And if so - could I adjust the XMP file to make it work with both RAW and JPEG??

I rather not shoot and edit the 2000-3000 images in RAW from the event....

Thanks for the help with this :)

I'm not sure you can process jpeg images in Camera Raw. By it's very nature, Camera Raw is designed to decode raw image files and allow you to process them in Photoshop or Adobe Bridge. An XMP file is just a sidecar file that is attached to the raw telling the image processor what changes to make to that file, so no I don't think you'll be able to get it to apply to a jpeg image. And in any case, applying the same settings to a jpeg that you'd apply to a raw file will give a very different result, so the preset won't give the correct look even if you could get it to work.

I'm not sure you can process jpeg images in Camera Raw. By it's very nature, Camera Raw is designed to decode raw image files and allow you to process them in Photoshop or Adobe Bridge. .

Thanks for the reply - I've been using Adobe Camera Raw to adjust my JPEG's for some years now, so that part can be done
Just wondered if there are any bits in the XMP file that tells what adjustments to make - that prevent it being applied to a JPEG..
And true - if you do apply the preset/settings to JPEG the results are different compared to a RAW file.

Thanks for the reply - I've been using Adobe Camera Raw to adjust my JPEG's for some years now, so that part can be done
Just wondered if there are any bits in the XMP file that tells what adjustments to make - that prevent it being applied to a JPEG..
And true - if you do apply the preset/settings to JPEG the results are different compared to a RAW file.

This is because the RAW file is just a load of bits with absolutely no processing done to it whereas the JPG has already been processed (either inside the camera or in PP) so adding the adjustments contained within an XMP file to an already processed JPG will give you a different result - it's been processed twice :)

You should be able to open a jpeg in ACR, I've done it countless times. As for the presets has your ACR version changed?
Have you tried opening a raw (of the same jpeg) and applying the preset, then noting the results/changes and then applying those to the jpeg and trying to create a new preset?

Back