Camera settings

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,
Has anyone out there changed their camera settings in their Canon digital slr's ? ie sharpness, contrast if so what were the results.

Doug.

The vast majority of users here shoot in RAW I would think Doug, where all those settings are irrelevant. The settings you refer to are for jpeg images and vary from model to model anyway. :)

I shoot rugby sometimes and generally use jpeg for that. If it's a bit of a dull overcast day then I have a custom setting on my 30D which boosts the saturation and contrast a little. Otherwise I use neutral though.

I shoot RAW. Although I did have a tinker with my Picture Styles on my 30D.

Which camera do you have Doug? Some of them work slightly differently IIRC.

I'm a RAW man as i need all the second chances i can get :)

I thought the picture styles dont affect anything if you use RAW, Marcel? :shrug:

Glad we are only talking about picture styles, as I shoot RAW so setting don't really matter.

As for other setting like ISO and metering point, I always forget to change them back.

I thought the picture styles dont affect anything if you use RAW, Marcel? :shrug:
Well they don't if you use any software other than the Canon RAW processor. The picture style info is saved alongside the file as a sort of post it note in much the same way as the exif info, but it's discarded by any software other than Canon's. Using the Canon software, you can apply any of the picture style settings including filters- even at the processing stage.

Even shooting raw the picture styles do affect the preview image shown on the LCD screen, and the histogram generated from this.

I use the neutral style with the sharpness boosted. Neutral so the histogram is as close to matching the raw data as possible, but the small JPGs used for the preview image are pretty soft that something can make something look out of focus when it is actually much sharper.

And also because I extract the preview images from the raw files into a sub-directory after downloading so I have something I can quickly preview. It is like using raw+small JPG without wasting card space.

Michael.

They dont affect the actual RAW file, BUT, it does affect the preview (I sometimes set a Mono picture style to see how they will look in B&W, and when I import into lightroom, hey presto, full colour ;))

I think Bibble automatically reads the picture style too. But it's possible to reverse the picture style, as it's the RAW file.

Back