Camera streaming on tether eg ethernet

Name
Gary McKay
Edit My Images
Yes
I am designing ROVs to photograph Freshwater animals esp microfauna such as newts and beetles. To go underwater effectively I need a camera that can live feed or stream or at least fifteen metres of cable eg Ethernet. I thought this would be fairly simple but ... Any suggestions? Remember camera must have its own on board power

You could probably get a usb web cam and an active usb extension, or usb over Ethernet. Could probably use the same cables to tether a dlsr if you wanted better quality images.

What sort of camera? I've used 15m+ of active USB with a ten year old DSLR so it's not something particularly new or demanding that you're looking for.

I've been live streaming via wi-fi from a basic action cam (SJ4000) to a PC. A waterproof case is included in the kit but battery life is only 45 minutes which may be an issue.

I've been live streaming via wi-fi from a basic action cam (SJ4000) to a PC. A waterproof case is included in the kit but battery life is only 45 minutes which may be an issue.
Unless very shallow, WiFi probably won't work through water.

An alternative to the above suggestions would be a cctv/security camera, they come in all sizes and are generally designed to drive long cables. I've used something like this in the past to live feed a small TV and it worked fine in damp/muddy conditions
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-Mini-CCTV-Security-Surveillance-Audio-Hidden-Outdoor-Indoor-Spy-Camera-New-/201925552916?roken=cUgayN

Actually I also thought you can get Power Over Ethernet, and an IP camera, all ran through a single ethernet cable too.

Back