Camping under the Stars

Is it a composition? How did you balance long exposure for stars with the tent, or is it a stack?

Cool ;)(y)

I love it, three things I like doing, photography, astronomy & camping, if that was my tent & I took this photo I'd definitely have it framed & up on my wall, happy memories

Is it a composition? How did you balance long exposure for stars with the tent, or is it a stack?
It's a different take on star trails and an interesting image. Likewise I'd be interested if you took a separate exposure for the foreground or managed to use one of the shots from the trails. Nicely done and processed(y)

Sorry it’s taken so long to reply to this, I can’t recall seeing the alerts.

To answer the question;

Essentially yes it’s a blended exposure and a stack.

Tent/foreground low ISO, suitable aperture, relatively long exposure, focus on tent. Bit of blending with different exposures between trees/brightest highlights, and a darkish late blue hour sky without stars visible.

The stars are then multiple shots (100 I think), conventionally high ISO (but my cameras are ISO invariant do I don’t do this) around 20seconds each wide aperture focussed on stars.

You then load these star shots as a stacked smart object and change the opacity of every layer in order taken from 1% all the way up to 100% in percentage increments. If I’d only taken 50 I’d jump them 2% at a time. The blending mode would have been a lighten one. This produces the tail fade effect.

Once flattened merge your stars with your background, probably also in a lighten mode but with the trees/tent masked out to reveal your ground image.

This was done in the same location without moving the tripod but once you have a really good star trail stack with good masking you can drop it into any base image.

^ phew, sounds very involved but has produced a great image.

Back