Can anyone fix this ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I've taken a photo using a Praktica point and press 35mm camera as a general test of my inherited cameras, the camera has a bad light leak which I've cropped out but this one photo although not technically very good really appeals to me ( my wife sitting contemplating on a bench in Whitby). But like an idiot because it was a test of which cameras worked or not I decided to go for the cheapest Ebay processor I could find. Unfortunately the scanning was done with a lot of dust present which I find distracts from the photo. I have attempted to fix this using Gimp photo editor (I'm a Linux user) but cannot work out how to clone colours/shades to go over the dust marks. My question/request is, is there anyone out there that could do this for me ? Your help would be really appreciated. Here is the photo. The original is 3.2mb (and looks much worse at that size) but cannot be posted here so if you drop me a pm I will send you the photo via email. Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Brad

bench3.jpg

Last edited:

HTH, Brad…

bench3.jpg

I know it's down to personal taste, but perhaps a touch more contrast to add a bit of grit and increase the atmosphere?

Last edited:
Can I jump in here for a mo? it is easy for the person to know what they saw and liked, it is a lot harder for someone to edit without being there as well, so they can only guess . Yes removing dust and scratches etc is fairly easy with a decent editing suit, what is a lot harder is to imagine the atmosphere the place creates and get it into a picture. this involves things like how bright/dark it was at the time as one example

One reason why I do my own editing and printing, I was there at the time

There I said my bit

Last edited:
Wow ! You have both done a fantastic Job, Many thanks. I haven't done much editing of my photos in the past but as soon as I get a bit of free time I intend to have a sit down and go through the options that Gimp gives me. Because of the light leaks (the film door is not the best fit) and the lack of control I don't think I will use this particular camera again.

Again many thanks

Back