Can anyone ID this Helo?

Edit My Images
No
Last night after the nice surprise Vampire/Meteor show practice at Newquay airport this helo did loads of circuits (training I guess?) as it was my first go at a Helo shot I was rather pleased to get rotor movement, but no idea what aircraft this is, as there are lots of aircraft fans on here can anyone ID it please.

untitled-1-23.jpg

I'm not so sure it is a Super Puma, all the ones I can find images of have the rear Rotor on the Starboard side and the Horizontal Stabilizer on the Port side, this one is the opposite of that. Super Pumas also have two Air Intakes under the main rotor over the top of the Cabin, this one doesn't. Could be different Marks no doubt of the Super Puma, but this is certainly not like the one which recently crashed in the Shetlands.

I think it is a Merlin, similar to the ones operated by the Royal Navy and the RAF.

Regards Paul

Last edited:
My first thought was its a Merlin and I still think it is.

Actually you're all wrong apart from qplate. Its an AW101.

An AW101 is a variation of the Merlin, which itself is an EH101.

What makes this particular AW101 interesting, is it was built by Agusta Westland in the west country and is going to India to be a VIP transport, not many have seen one in the UK in that scheme!

Actually you're all wrong apart from qplate. Its an AW101.

An AW101 is a variation of the Merlin, which itself is an EH101.

What makes this particular AW101 interesting, is it was built by Agusta Westland in the west country and is going to India to be a VIP transport, not many have seen one in the UK in that scheme!

So how often do they return to their roost? Oh and are their eggs sought after? :0

Its on air trials before export, unless it comes back for RIAT or something it won't be seen in the UK again.

Unless the next government gets so hard up they have to buy used.......

Back