can anyone identify this fish?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
Yes
I was walking round the local pond and heard a bit of a commotion so turned round and snapped these:
Fleet Pond Monster 2 by Toby, on Flickr
Fleet Pond Monster by Toby, on Flickr
As far as I can tell there are two fish fighting in that first pic. The 2nd pic being of one of them swimming away.
I never saw the whole fish but from what I did I reckon it was at least 2 feet long, possibly over 2.5ft. And yes, I did see it with my naked eye, not just through the viewfinder so I don't think I am exaggerating ;)

Does anyone have any idea what it was? And were they likely to fighting or something else? (mating?)

Thanks guys. Having looked at some other pictures on line I think common carp is right. It might look slender in the 2nd pic but it did show more of itself (unfortunately no pic) and I reckon the proportions match the pics of the common carp I have now seen.

Any ideas what was going on? Do they fight? Or was it something to do with spawning?

I was misinformed by a mate when we used to go fishing that the longer ones were wild or grass carp, but grass carp don't have a long dorsal fin, so yes @Kodiak Qc I'll agree with common carp.

@brman Probably spawing at this time of year as the fishing season is closed from March15th to June 16th in England and Wales to let them spawn. No close season in Cornwall where I am for some good reason.

Any ideas what was going on? Do they fight? Or was it something to do with spawning?

You want to know more than I am capable to type…

See Wiki!

Yes it's spawning, most of the ones I have seen have been doing this for the past couple of weeks, quite
impressive to watch

Last edited:
Thanks again guys, spawning it is then.

It was certainly impressive! While our "pond" is fairly large (supposed to be the largest freshwater lake in Hampshire) it is pretty shallow so I was impressed there were any fish that large in it.

Looks like a grass carp to me
I think what is confusing is that in the first picture the fin you can see is a pectoral (? side fin anyway) as the fish is on it's side. The Dorsal is what you can see in the 2nd picture when it was swimming away - ie. long and low.
So, having looked at lots of pictures I think common (long low dorsal) rather than grass (short, high dorsal).

Not that I am an an expert after looking at a few pictures! ;)

Deffo a common.(y)

Carp were spawning 'oop north' this morning too.

Back