Can anyone take a look at this pc spec?

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
So I have an old Acer laptop with an i5 processor, 8gb ram and a Nvidia graphics card that isn't supported for GPU so it's turned off. It's not slow but with a 30mp camera, raw files can be slow to process, especially when batch processing.

I've seen this computer and it looks good spec, definitely an upgrade on what I have now but all geared around AMD and I'm not that up on them so I was wondering if anyone could cast an eye and tell me if it's decent!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/111702138706

Thanks in advance

It looks like adobe premiere (fussy) will use that graphics card so other programs will too and should help speed things up where needed.
Seems quite good for the money, CCL are a good dealer.
On the other hand I'd rather have an SSD for the C drive, also note no windows comes with it.
It will still be plenty fast enough for most things.

It looks like adobe premiere (fussy) will use that graphics card so other programs will too and should help speed things up where needed.
Seems quite good for the money, CCL are a good dealer.
On the other hand I'd rather have an SSD for the C drive, also note no windows comes with it.
It will still be plenty fast enough for most things.

Thanks for the reply, albeit a bit late!

Ended up pulling the trigger on this used computer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-XW660...ZLN57X4z1g%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Going to order a SSD hard drive as they're cheap as chips before I start installing LR etc on it but any tips on the best way to clone the existing HDD to SSD?
Was going to pay someone to do it but I seen a few software options for DIY?

any tips on the best way to clone the existing HDD to SSD?

Don't bother. Fresh install onto the SSD without the residual cruft from previous owner - W10 will not need a key because the hardware is already 'known' to Microsoft. Make sure you have the key for Orifice & then download & install fresh.

I'd look for a 1TB SSD for around £100 at the moment - try ebuyer or amazon. If you REALLY want to clone the drive then look for either a package with software included or try something like Macrium reflect - I've heard that works OK.

Don't bother. Fresh install onto the SSD without the residual cruft from previous owner - W10 will not need a key because the hardware is already 'known' to Microsoft. Make sure you have the key for Orifice & then download & install fresh.

I'd look for a 1TB SSD for around £100 at the moment - try ebuyer or amazon. If you REALLY want to clone the drive then look for either a package with software included or try something like Macrium reflect - I've heard that works OK.

Thanks for the info. I'll grab the licence key anyway before I do it from the about pc screen as on the outer case only has a product key for Vista and not Windows 10.
Can you explain more the bit about the already known to Windows thing? I'd obviously need a Windows 10 cd?

A new W10 install 'phones home' and registers itself based on the hardware it is installed upon with Microsoft. There after when re-installing the os, the hardware is recognised from the previous registration. AFAIK this is fine when making limited updates (say replacing a boot drive, graphics card etc) but may require the owner to actually call microsoft if they replace the Mobo.

A new W10 install 'phones home' and registers itself based on the hardware it is installed upon with Microsoft. There after when re-installing the os, the hardware is recognised from the previous registration. AFAIK this is fine when making limited updates (say replacing a boot drive, graphics card etc) but may require the owner to actually call microsoft if they replace the Mobo.

Yep. They collect the mac identifier from each component plus register the bios.

That HP is a professional workstation, well built and a heavyweight hitter for it's time, but the processor is a bit old it came out in 2009. It'll also use a fair amount of power too.
It's benchmark score is 4188 (see here)
Compare it to the AMD A10 8900 from that other PC with a score of 5677 (see here)
Granted that HP machine has two processors but you're still only getting a total of 8 cores and a combined benchmark of 8376.
Even an Intel i5 3570K has a higher benchmark score at 7174.
If Lightroom is your main software, it relies on processor power, particularly when batch exporting files. It doesn't render using a GPU.
Disk access speed is also very useful which is where your SSD comes in handy.

Good luck, hope it provides the speed increase you want.

Back