Critique Can you see a difference?

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
This is not taking a pop at anyone,but just seen the topic pop up again in Den`s Magpie thread.Besides I did a similar thing a couple of years back.This was discussed not long ago and it was mentioned that for some reason files were being labled .png when posted on here,well it looks like that has been sorted now so we can rule that out.As before two of the same,one hosted on Flickr and the other on Photobucket.So without the need for " I think the left testicle on the fly in the background in the second shot looks more overexposed" yes @BillN_33 I mean you ;) Does there appear to be a major difference between them?From my point I would say no,or not enough to worry about.Without clicking on either can you tell which one is being hosted from where even? Considering my thoughts on these two,I wonder if perhaps those who have posted the picture on TP in the first place are seeing less of a difference than those viewing it for whatever reason.

306_153_zpskttjxmb1.jpg

The first looks slightly sharper to me Rich. I have noticed a difference between Photobucket and Flickr before so i moved to Flickr myself.

Cracking shot btw. The colours are brill. (y)

The first looks slightly sharper to me Rich. I have noticed a difference between Photobucket and Flickr before so i moved to Flickr myself.

Cracking shot btw. The colours are brill. (y)
As above ,the first one is much sharper with more impact on my viewing device without a doubt, I didn't even need to look twice

On my PC screen I see very little difference Rich

I've said before - some people see differences and others don't. It's not consistent though. Those who can see a difference in one example may not in another example.

Just to add. Not noticing a difference on ipad either.

On my PC screen I see very little difference Rich

I've said before - some people see differences and others don't. It's not consistent though. Those who can see a difference in one example may not in another example.

I think you are quite right there Phil.Obviously the top one is Flickr. As a few say, click on the image to get a sharper picture,I know it`s not easy to tell as you go from one screen to another when you do that,but I would say the image on TP does not look a million miles away from how I see it on Flickr anyhow.

Other than that left testicle, both look the same to me, and a great photo.

Maybe a slightly yellower yellow in the first.

But who cares, the subject, the little boid is looking good, and we are all more informed about the stonechat now.

Mj

(IMHO)

What seems bizzare to me at my end,if I hold down "CTRL" and scroll the mouse wheel so that both images fit in on the screen the bottom image becomes much sharper than the first.Pretty wierd to say the least o_O

Other than that left testicle, both look the same to me, and a great photo.

Maybe a slightly yellower yellow in the first.

But who cares, the subject, the little boid is looking good, and we are all more informed about the stonechat now.

Mj

(IMHO)

Someone who talks a load of b*****ks,my kind of conversation is that Mark :D Cheers.

What seems bizzare to me at my end,if I hold down "CTRL" and scroll the mouse wheel so that both images fit in on the screen the bottom image becomes much sharper than the first.Pretty wierd to say the least o_O

Best to compare side by side than one above the other. A screen's display can vary top to bottom. Things can also appear to change if you move your head up and down to alter the viewing angle.

I've tried re-sizing, moving up and down, adjusting the screen angle etc, and I can honestly say (to my surprise) that there is a difference - not necesarilly in quality, but in the overall brightness. The top shot appears slightly darker and thereby, more 'contrasty', which I like. The bottom seems ever so slightly brighter.

As Phil says, given that they are not side by side, it could potentially be a variation in the top and bottom of my screen.

One important point is that I can't discern and qualitative difference between them, brightness aside.

Best to compare side by side than one above the other. A screen's display can vary top to bottom. Things can also appear to change if you move your head up and down to alter the viewing angle.

That`s true,my head is always flopping around after a beer or three :D

Perhaps it just goes to show then, that with all the variables with regards to whether its was a Canon or Nikon file,which software was used to edit the file etc etc,does it all have some bearing in a small way as to how it will look?One thing I was going to add,and again I have no idea if it makes a difference or not.If using flickr I always just upload a resized image of 1024,I see a lot of people upload much larger files,2048 x 1092 for example and even much bigger.So when you see that image in TP,is it because it is being downsized from that larger size which is causing the problem?Mine is already set at the max TP will allow, so it does not have to change it in any way.

This issue is certainly not consistant. At first glance your top image seemed slightly sharper to me but looking at them again more carefully I can't really see a difference. Neither can I see any real difference between what's posted here and the same image on flickr. But with Den's magpie (the one walking on the fence, if' that's the one you meant) there is a difference. I wondered if it was due to the size of the image on flickr as the magpie is posted larger than yours, but I've just looked at Lez's grebes (on flickr at what seems to be the same size as yours) and again there is a definite difference in sharpness (look at the youngster).
Lovely stonechat, btw. I was out on Dartmoor last week and they were 'chatting' away atop every gorse bush.

bottom one looks lighter. look at the birds head and the brown and yellow flecks are quite a bit lighter than in the top one.
overal the bottom looks slightly better, the yellows more "yellow" if that makes sense, theres a very slightly more softer orange hue to the top one

I put the 2 shots in 2 different tabs so I could flick between them when they're as close as possibly exactly overlapping - can't see any difference between them when jumping from tab to tab.

Just off to expose my left testicle...

No difference for me either.

Perhaps someone could do a three hosting test, from their Website, Flickr and Photobucket. Do you have a website Rich?

Need to get my eyes calibrated, both look the same to me but I'm only viewing on an I pad.

Top ones blue and black.. Bottom ones white and gold..

wooooooo...

No difference for me either.

Perhaps someone could do a three hosting test, from their Website, Flickr and Photobucket. Do you have a website Rich?
No Simon,but a good idea I suppose.I think I have read on here before that it is the best way of hosting pics but not seen a comparison to prove this is the case.

Top ones blue and black.. Bottom ones white and gold..

wooooooo...

Well I must admit after being notified you had replied in here I thought, ah someone with a bit of knowledge to shed some light :) Well I suppose it has really, I am thinking that after we all have been members of TP for a certain amount of time it turns us all into clowns :D

I know my place..I love 'em both :D

Seriously…

I'd have thought there are too many variables.

Screen calibration.

How one's eyes(brain) discerns between one colour and another and that does vary.

Age of viewer.I'm sure that was brought up once before and poo-poo'd. Maybe not.

Location of viewer..in a darkened room or like me, next to a window with only beige blind slats to keep out light.

The other thing is that when you ask someone to see if they can see any difference (whatever the subject) they will invariably see something that isn't there because they feel they have. to .ie. they don't see anything but there must be or the question wouldn't have been asked.

I don't see any difference..the photo is very good.

Having said all this I have definitely seen a difference with some photos on here when I've gone to a Flickr photo and not just the size but in this case..no difference..but then they are both being viewed on here.

Well I must admit after being notified you had replied in here I thought, ah someone with a bit of knowledge to shed some light :) Well I suppose it has really, I am thinking that after we all have been members of TP for a certain amount of time it turns us all into clowns :D

Having a sense of humor seems to be one of my more annoying thingies :)

Looked at these when they were first posted on my galaxy tablet and thought the second one was slightly lighter, now looking on my laptop and feel the same but certainly not enough of a difference to make me swap flickr to photobucket or vice versa
To be honest I have been struggling to see the degrading of shots on here which has been mentioned several times (and I have new glasses :D )

Looked at these when they were first posted on my galaxy tablet and thought the second one was slightly lighter, now looking on my laptop and feel the same but certainly not enough of a difference to make me swap flickr to photobucket or vice versa
To be honest I have been struggling to see the degrading of shots on here which has been mentioned several times (and I have new glasses :D )

I was also failing to see a diference Bob ,but that was way back.Now I can notice a few suffering,especially with regards sharpness more than anything.It`s not having a go but just trying to find out why it seems to effect some and not others,perhaps we will never know.

Please be aware that you need to save your image with the color profile (sRGB or AdobeRGB) to save it with its color information.
Furthermore, you need to check if your browser supports color management, as this isn't working on older Internet Explorers.

These might be the reason for them to look the same.

For more information on color management have a look into this links:

Community: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/
eBook: http://spyder.datacolor.com/scripts/ebook/Spyder_eBook_DE_-_by_Datacolor.pdf

I was also failing to see a diference Bob ,but that was way back.Now I can notice a few suffering,especially with regards sharpness more than anything.It`s not having a go but just trying to find out why it seems to effect some and not others,perhaps we will never know.

Is it resizing before uploading, cannot remember where I got the info from but someone did say resize before uploading because of compression of the host site, I always resize everything to longest edge 1024 first and sharpen, don't feel mine suffer unless they are carp to start with :D:rolleyes:

Is it resizing before uploading, cannot remember where I got the info from but someone did say resize before uploading because of compression of the host site, I always resize everything to longest edge 1024 first and sharpen, don't feel mine suffer unless they are carp to start with :D:rolleyes:

The norm is to resize after doing all the editing Bob and then a final sharpen or if you do not sharpen it, save it as web and devices.

Please be aware that you need to save your image with the color profile (sRGB or AdobeRGB) to save it with its color information.
Furthermore, you need to check if your browser supports color management, as this isn't working on older Internet Explorers.

These might be the reason for them to look the same.

That is not the problem though,and my German is pretty poor to say the least :D

I know my place..I love 'em both :D

Seriously…

I'd have thought there are too many variables.

Screen calibration.

How one's eyes(brain) discerns between one colour and another and that does vary.

Age of viewer.I'm sure that was brought up once before and poo-poo'd. Maybe not.

Location of viewer..in a darkened room or like me, next to a window with only beige blind slats to keep out light.

The other thing is that when you ask someone to see if they can see any difference (whatever the subject) they will invariably see something that isn't there because they feel they have. to .ie. they don't see anything but there must be or the question wouldn't have been asked.

I don't see any difference..the photo is very good.

Having said all this I have definitely seen a difference with some photos on here when I've gone to a Flickr photo and not just the size but in this case..no difference..but then they are both being viewed on here.

I have always maintained there are perhaps too many variables John.Just like when you walk into somones house and see how they have adjusted their TV.The problem is there is something happening which causes the image to look less sharp on TP with some people and not with others.If you look at the softer image on their Flickr it is certainly sharp enough,so that rules out what the OP see`s with his own eyes.

I'm a bit late to this but I wanted to wait until I'd calibrated my screen again.

Viewing on a Dell U2412M , looking at the images side by side, I see no difference in colour or sharpness.....:thinking:.........is that good or bad? :D

I'm a bit late to this but I wanted to wait until I'd calibrated my screen again.

Viewing on a Dell U2412M , looking at the images side by side, I see no difference in colour or sharpness.....:thinking:.........is that good or bad? :D

Well I also have that Dell Phil so I say good and sod what everybody else thinks :D

I can see a difference betwixt the two.

There is more contrast to the upper shot - or smoother gradation of Yellow tone in in the lower one. Either way - different. Given more contrast then perhaps a perception of increased sharpness to the upper shot.

I can see a difference betwixt the two.

There is more contrast to the upper shot - or smoother gradation of Yellow tone in in the lower one. Either way - different. Given more contrast then perhaps a perception of increased sharpness to the upper shot.
I am sure a lot will see slight diferences with what you have mentioned Barry,diferent monitors calibrated or not calibrated etc.The main point was a noticeable amount of reduction in sharpness and in all honesty I cannot say that one is far more sharper than the other in this example.

Back