Canary Wharf from Rotherhithe at low tide

Interesting image and a good perspective. Struggling to see past the overcooked HDR though sorry.

Interesting image and a good perspective. Struggling to see past the overcooked HDR though sorry.
Thanks for the comment.
Two things I don't normally do are HDR and Monochrome, so I thought I'd give them both a try on these.
I don't really like HDR, but I thought I hadn't overdone it on this - obviously not to everyone's taste.
Here is a different shot, colour and B&W versions of the same image.

Canary Wharf from Rotherhithe by Brian Gibson, on Flickr

Nice set, I like the HDR effect (y)

I think that all three images are really good - and, to me, they all have something a little bit different from the usual about them.
well done.
(I wonder what history the ancient 'jetty' could tell ?)
Yes indeed, it's surprising what is revealed when the tide is low on the Thames.
I'm sure somebody somewhere knows it's history.
If it were a jetty or landing stage it's funny how it's only revealed at low tide - does that indicate rising water levels?

It seems that HDR is very much the "Marmite" of photography - you either love it or hate it.
I thought I hadn't overdone it on the first image, we have people at our club that put in much more processed images than this.
My main motive was to bring out the wonderful sky.

It seems that HDR is very much the "Marmite" of photography - you either love it or hate it.
Definitely agree with that - I think when it's done subtly then it can work, I think with this one here it's gone too far as there's quite pronounced halo's on a few of the skyline buildings to the right centre, and the water really has a quite unnatural look and colour to it.

I think the second one has potential and has a nice interesting perspective (y)

Definitely agree with that - I think when it's done subtly then it can work, I think with this one here it's gone too far as there's quite pronounced halo's on a few of the skyline buildings to the right centre, and the water really has a quite unnatural look and colour to it.

I took a look at the originals (before resizing for Flickr) and the halos are much less than the Flickr versions.
I've seen people complain that Flickr processing changes their images but this is the first time I've noticed it.
As I mentioned, I don't normally do HDR (although I always pull the shadows up to give more detail) so I'm interested in feedback.
These are all processed through Lightroom but using Topaz "Adjust 5" to give the final rendering.
One thing I wanted to do is to bring out the sky and without Topaz the whole thing looks a bit flat.
I always think that PP is to render a scene as you want it, rather than exactly as it was.

I've gone back and backed off the sliders a bit on the first one so see what you think:
(Maybe still a hint of halos around some of the buildings, but definitely not on the original, full sized version)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/G1unFH]Canary Wharf from Rotherhithe by Brian Gibson, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
I took a look at the originals (before resizing for Flickr) and the halos are much less than the Flickr versions.
I've seen people complain that Flickr processing changes their images but this is the first time I've noticed it.
As I mentioned, I don't normally do HDR (although I always pull the shadows up to give more detail) so I'm interested in feedback.
These are all processed through Lightroom but using Topaz "Adjust 5" to give the final rendering.
One thing I wanted to do is to bring out the sky and without Topaz the whole thing looks a bit flat.
I always think that PP is to render a scene as you want it, rather than exactly as it was.

I've gone back and backed off the sliders a bit on the first one so see what you think:
(Maybe still a hint of halos around some of the buildings, but definitely not on the original, full sized version)

I'm only viewing this on my phone but it's definitely heading in the right direction and doesn't look as grungy in the foreground and water. I'm by no means an expert on HDR and there'll be others who can advise more in depth than me but did you take bracketed images or is this version taken from a single image? If its the latter it will be hard to replicate a decent looking HDR from an image with limited dynamic range.

Definitely an improvement to my eye.

Yes indeed, it's surprising what is revealed when the tide is low on the Thames.
I'm sure somebody somewhere knows it's history.
If it were a jetty or landing stage it's funny how it's only revealed at low tide - does that indicate rising water levels?

Rotherhite was for a very long time a centre of shipbuilding and ship-breaking. Lots of what you see at low tide are remnants of slipways and causeways for getting ships in and out or for better accessing ships being broken on the shore. Many of the timbers used in their construction were themselves former ships timbers.

Brunel's SS Great Eastern was built just the other side of the river at Millwall and its launch and the slipways have been rediscovered over the last 30 years or so.

http://www.thamesdiscovery.org/frog-blog/the-great-eastern-rediscovered

Thanks very much.
I'm a little concerned that, pictorially, the "jetty" leads the eye out of the picture, and there's no connection between the foreground and the opposite bank.

I'm only viewing this on my phone but it's definitely heading in the right direction and doesn't look as grungy in the foreground and water. I'm by no means an expert on HDR and there'll be others who can advise more in depth than me but did you take bracketed images or is this version taken from a single image? If its the latter it will be hard to replicate a decent looking HDR from an image with limited dynamic range.
These are all single (raw) exposures.

Rotherhite was for a very long time a centre of shipbuilding and ship-breaking. Lots of what you see at low tide are remnants of slipways and causeways for getting ships in and out or for better accessing ships being broken on the shore. Many of the timbers used in their construction were themselves former ships timbers.

Brunel's SS Great Eastern was built just the other side of the river at Millwall and its launch and the slipways have been rediscovered over the last 30 years or so.

http://www.thamesdiscovery.org/frog-blog/the-great-eastern-rediscovered
Quite so.
Witness the famous Turner painting "The Fighting Temeraire" showing the old sailing warship being towed up the Thames by a steam tug to be broken up at Rotherhithe.

I've also visited the "Great Eastern" launch site on the Isle of Dogs, although photographically there's not much to see..

Back