I do like the geometric patterns of the first and the timing & composition of the third.

Do you need a permit if you just carry a camera without tripod?

You do not necessarily require a permit if:

• You are taking the images for solely amateur purposes and do not intend to reproduce them for media, sale or commercial benefit (for example you are a tourist, hobbyist or student); and
  • your equipment is minimal (for example, nothing more than a camera and stationary tripod); and
  • you are not causing any disruption, harm or potential harm to people, property or yourself; and
  • you are outdoors; and
  • you are not filming or photographing any building entrances or security arrangements.

Yes that's true, but on speaking to the helpful young lady in the Information Bureau she advised us to get a permit (I was with friends) to avoid any hassle. I can only say that when we were approached by security and showed them the permit they were very helpful and let the 'office' know so that we weren't troubled any more. It's free so why not put their minds at rest when security levels are so high.

It's free so why not put their minds at rest when security levels are so high.

I guess it depends on how they enforce the issue of permits, e.g.
Those wanting to film or photograph on the Estate should provide written evidence of personal liability insurance at a minimum of £10 million.

might be an issue for some as it is stipulated on the permit application form. :)

I guess it depends on how they enforce the issue of permits, e.g.

Those wanting to film or photograph on the Estate should provide written evidence of personal liability insurance at a minimum of £10 million.

might be an issue for some as it is stipulated on the permit application form. :)

Professionals only then. :p

To be honest guys I think we could argue the pros and cons of getting a permit forever, but I am only passing on the information we were given by those representing the site owners.

To be honest guys I think we could argue the pros and cons of getting a permit forever, but I am only passing on the information we were given by those representing the site owners.

Oh of course, experience is always helpful information ... however applying for a permit does specifically require you to state that you have £10,000,000 public liability insurance. :)

Permit Application as Word Document

Oh of course, experience is always helpful information ... however applying for a permit does specifically require you to state that you have £10,000,000 public liability insurance. :)

Permit Application as Word Document

... agreed, but your public liability remains with or without a permit. I can't remember how we covered the insurance issue now. Probably struck it out by agreement as we are not a commercial organisation, although as home owners our household insurance covered each of us for £5m. As with most things it just pays to talk and there's usually a solution.

Hi Mike

Like the first one especially - giving me some more motivation for a visit.

I've looked and looked and can't find the location of the information office you mentioned - could you remember where it is ?

David

(y) I really enjoyed this set (y)

Mike..I like these images composition wise, however I'm curious as to your PP, could you elaborate?

Robin
Sorry for the delay in replying Robin but I've only just spotted your question.
I always use RAW and start my monochrome images off in Lightroom by editing the colour image to get the best from it. I may also alter the luminance/hue/saturation of certain colours to make sure that when converting to monochrome I get tonal separation. The image is then processed in Silver Efex where I will choose one of the presets that best suits the subject before working the sliders etc. to get the image to my liking. It's then back to Lightroom for some final tidying up and maybe some more local adjustments. I may add a slight vignette if appropriate, sharpen and export.
I do use the 'Snapshot' facility in Lightroom after most alterations, so that I can quickly compare changes and go back should the need arise.
I have got Photoshop too, but only use it if I need to do some cloning or for more creative edits.
Hope this helps
Mike

Interesting about the permit. I took many pictures when I worked there and no-one ever stopped me or even looked twice in my direction, including when I used my old Sony R1, which was a big beastie indeed. Mind you, I never used a tripod.

Interesting about the permit. I took many pictures when I worked there and no-one ever stopped me or even looked twice in my direction, including when I used my old Sony R1, which was a big beastie indeed. Mind you, I never used a tripod.
I think we have to bear in mind that with all the terrorism threats tensions are running far higher than in the past so intervention is not really surprising and quite reassuring.

Back