Cancel Culture

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
So....I was all set to watch the second episode of "The Chop" last night. (Basically it's the great British pottery sewing be-off this time with carpentry. For no obvious reason it's hosted by Lee Mack).

S'funny - Sky+ hasn't recorded it. Hmm, not in scheduled record, not in program viewer anywhere. It's....vanished. I checked deleted recordings and ep 1 is there from last week but no sign of it anywhere. Weird.

So I checked Google hoping to find times etc. What I found amazed (and somewhat annoyed me). One of the contestants has a tattooed face. He was much mocked by Lee Mack because he looks scary but is actually quite a mellow guy. A viewer noticed one of his tattoos says 88. Apparently they signify life events and his story (easily checked by researchers who vet contestants) is that his father died in 1988.

So they CANCELLED THE ENTIRE SHOW. It has been erased from the rather ironically name History Channel who commissioned it and very heavily promoted it. I am both amazed and appalled.

(In case you don't know, 88 is used by some racist White Supremacists to tell the world just how racist they are. Mostly in America I believe.)

Its pathetic, the meaning of 88 is a new one on me! Sure, if the guy had a giant swastika on his head then pull him out (although the swastika pre-dates Nazism by some way which is another topic).

The way people are offended (or seen to be offended) by the slightest thing is something that annoys me. They like to protest almost for the sake of it. Its like people hunt to find something to be annoyed about!

Back in 2014, Oxford University came under a bit of pressure to rename their reserve boat, because it was called Isis, a name Western press incorrectly gave to Islamic State (should have been ISIL). The boat was of course named after a stretch of the Thames - Thames Isis. Just recently, both author J K Rowling and Canterbury Labour MP Rosie Duffield, have been threatened and abused on social media for simply stating biological facts about women's bodies.

It wasn't just the 88, there were other numbers which also had similar references. I read about it yesterday but I can't remember the details.

The way people are offended (or seen to be offended) by the slightest thing is something that annoys me. They like to protest almost for the sake of it. Its like people hunt to find something to be annoyed about!
Context is everything. If someone's relatives were murdered because of their race you shouldn't be surprised at their hatred for a symbol adopted by the murderers. It's probably a good idea to make an effort to find out why someone is being negative before being annoyed at their opinion.

Context is everything. If someone's relatives were murdered because of their race you shouldn't be surprised at their hatred for a symbol adopted by the murderers. It's probably a good idea to make an effort to find out why someone is being negative before being annoyed at their opinion.

Sure, a swastika I can understand, but 88 is vague enough and can relate to anything

So....I was all set to watch the second episode of "The Chop" last night. (Basically it's the great British pottery sewing be-off this time with carpentry. For no obvious reason it's hosted by Lee Mack).

S'funny - Sky+ hasn't recorded it. Hmm, not in scheduled record, not in program viewer anywhere. It's....vanished. I checked deleted recordings and ep 1 is there from last week but no sign of it anywhere. Weird.

So I checked Google hoping to find times etc. What I found amazed (and somewhat annoyed me). One of the contestants has a tattooed face. He was much mocked by Lee Mack because he looks scary but is actually quite a mellow guy. A viewer noticed one of his tattoos says 88. Apparently they signify life events and his story (easily checked by researchers who vet contestants) is that his father died in 1988.

So they CANCELLED THE ENTIRE SHOW. It has been erased from the rather ironically name History Channel who commissioned it and very heavily promoted it. I am both amazed and appalled.

(In case you don't know, 88 is used by some racist White Supremacists to tell the world just how racist they are. Mostly in America I believe.)
According to what I read yesterday, his father is alive and well.

Its pathetic, the meaning of 88 is a new one on me! Sure, if the guy had a giant swastika on his head then pull him out (although the swastika pre-dates Nazism by some way which is another topic).
I don't know if it has been removed, but Upminster Bridge District Line train station had a large swastika in the tiled floor of the ticket hall just inside the entrance, there may have even been more in the tiled walls too.

Just checked, apparently it is a reversed swastika and was a popular decorative design in 1934 when the station was built.

Last edited:

I would suggest that maybe you should have looked into what has been going on over this, in a bit more detail.

I would suggest that maybe you should have looked into what has been going on over this, in a bit more detail.
Maybe so.

If the history channel had told me what was going on then I could have spent my time doing that. I'm more worried about the complete air brushing of this ever happening than what may have been a blunder by a researcher. Personally I would never have thought of asking a mild mannered carpenter of her planned to call his first born Adolf, but it is what researchers are paid for.

Out of interest, would we delete an entire series if somebody had a Jimm'll fix it tattoo?

If you don’t like what there is to see on a programme don’t watch it? I saw the trailers for the show but paid little attention to it, frankly I would have he was a bit daft for having his face tattooed but not thought about it any further.

Maybe so.

If the history channel had told me what was going on then I could have spent my time doing that. I'm more worried about the complete air brushing of this ever happening than what may have been a blunder by a researcher. Personally I would never have thought of asking a mild mannered carpenter of her planned to call his first born Adolf, but it is what researchers are paid for.

Out of interest, would we delete an entire series if somebody had a Jimm'll fix it tattoo?

I don't see it as air brushing. There is certainly enough about it on the internet etc so hardly air brushing. Plenty of programmes get pulled moved around for various reasons.

I don't see it as air brushing. There is certainly enough about it on the internet etc so hardly air brushing. Plenty of programmes get pulled moved around for various reasons.

Yes, it happens a lot although it's a relatively new phenomenon. It's often referred to as cancel culture. I think it's a bad thing.

I don't particularly care if a racist* got through vetting on a satellite channel, I care that it leads us to pretend it never happened.

Orwell had lots to say about this :)

Also, I quite like Lee Mack and carpentry so I wish they would put it back on.

_--------
And if course I've no idea if he's a racist or not. Or if he had some unwise tattoos when he was younger and stupider. Or if it really is to commemorate his father's death. After all, it's only the mail that says he's alive and what would they know?

Personally, I think the show's producers should have been suspicious when the guys plans showed a shed on 12 foot pegs surrounded by barbed wire....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back