Candid business portraits

Name
Irina
Edit My Images
Yes
My first experience in this area.
The guy wanted few photos for his website ( head shot, half and full lenth) candid style.
He is very pleased with the result, i am not so (positioned in order that i like them myself)

Any comments how i can improve would be helpful as i will shoot him again later on.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My first experience in this area.
…and m sure it won't be the last!

Take #2 is making me feel quite uncomfortable…
If meant for a layout and a column of text would
show at his left, he would turn his
back to it…
creating a distance and giving
the impression he's
going out of the frame. Picture #4 is, in this regard,
better — more convincing.

In some of the closer frames, the chosen soft look
renditions are, IMO, more appropriate for a woman.
Here, I just tamed down the mid-tones a tad to pull
out the natural micro contrast so to reveal a more
manly personality.

imageppp.jpg

…and m sure it won't be the last!

Take #2 is making me feel quite uncomfortable…
If meant for a layout and a column of text would
show at his left, he would turn his
back to it…
creating a distance and giving
the impression he's
going out of the frame. Picture #4 is, in this regard,
better — more convincing.

In some of the closer frames, the chosen soft look
renditions are, IMO, more appropriate for a woman.
Here, I just tamed down the mid-tones a tad to pull
out the natural micro contrast so to reveal a more
manly personality.

imageppp.jpg

Thanks Kodiak, your comments are always constructive and helpful.

In regards to nr 2, i left space on the right as his face and eyes were turned into that direction, but now i see what you mean..
What about this?
image.jpeg

I like how you te touched the close up, it does look more manly indeed, it was first guy that i ever shoot, so did not think about retouching photos differently, i was more concentrated on "ironing" his suit ::D
Would be helpful if you could be bit more specific about how you did it, so i might try as well

Not bad for a first attempt.
A couple of pointers, the dark suit and dark hair are blending into the dark areas in the background in a couple.
#3 the hands look odd and uncomfortable.

It's all about practice, the more you do the better you'll get.

Hi Iren
Regards to #2, I actually think your negative space looks better in the original - as a graphic designer myself, I would deffo use that. My only suggestion would be to calm down your light area in the background, burn it out if you can.
I think you did a fabulous job!

Last edited:
I like most of them but the crop on each is off IMO.

Some cropping, dodging and burning and spot healing and you've got a nice little set there.

Hi Iren
Regards to #2, I actually think your negative space looks better in the original - as a graphic designer myself, I would deffo use that. My only suggestion would be to calm down your light area in the background, burn it out if you can.
I think you did a fabulous job!

Thank you for the comments, its good to know i am moving in a right direction :)
I gave him 2 options to choose (after taking your advice and removing light area)
image.jpeg

Not bad for a first attempt.
A couple of pointers, the dark suit and dark hair are blending into the dark areas in the background in a couple.
#3 the hands look odd and uncomfortable.

It's all about practice, the more you do the better you'll get.

Thanks for the comments, ive tried to "separate" hair from the background in post processing, but did not really succeed
Will pay more attention on his hands next time :D

Dear god not number 3! You can only work with the model you have and all but he has struck his best, and most camp superhero pose ever in that one! :jawdrop::wideyed:

My favourite I think pose and model-look wise is number 4. It looks really good, but I agree with others that a slightly "harsher" edit would bring out a more manly feel about the portrait.

My favourite I think pose and model-look wise is number 4. It looks really good, but I agree with others that a slightly "harsher" edit would bring out a more manly feel about the portrait.
Agree here. That said this just coming from the point of view of a laymen looking at them. He just looks good in the frame. The edit from Daniel works great too.
Thay are all fit for purpose I would say.

Well done.

Gaz

Back