Candid holiday portraits

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Gratuitous holiday snap sharing thread alert.. sometimes, though, I just notice some light and can't resist trying some candid portraiture, mainly shot at ISO1600-3200 and f1.8 with the Oly 45mm lens.

I'm not really expecting serious critique but do comment if you feel the urge. And please do add your own holiday candid holiday portraits to the thread!

I like number 3, RHS of her face could possibly be lifted a little, shame 2 is in shadow, have you thought of a BW conversion of that one?

Good set of photos.
No 2 would look better in b&w in my view as well.

Way above most peoples holiday photographs.
I find the tones contrast a little weak in No1 compared to the others. but I think that is a processing issue.

I hope you don't hate my messing but this is nearer what I meant to bring it more in line with your set . It just seems stronger to me.

I like number 3, RHS of her face could possibly be lifted a little, shame 2 is in shadow, have you thought of a BW conversion of that one?

I thought 2 was magnificent. the tones and light are beautiful and it is full of character.

I don't mind at all - on this monitor I'd say that was a little too contrasty now and that somewhere in between would be better.
I agree the first one needs lifting a bit but not quite as much as this. Other than that I love them all and quite agree with Terrywoodenpic that they are well above your normal holiday photographs. Like the balance of light between inside and out in No.4 and I would leave No.2 as it is. Great set.

I don't mind at all - on this monitor I'd say that was a little too contrasty now and that somewhere in between would be better.

I am sure you are right, though I think working on a second generation jpeg loses subtlety, I worked on it as a tiff then converted it back to a jpeg. The tiff that I got through the cc raw processor certainly Iooked better after taking it into photoshop. It also looks better on my calibrated screen than my tablet

Last edited:
I like No2. The fella is clearly deep in thought and has character in his face. A B&W version would maybe look better as some have mentioned.

I also really like No4. I really like the way she is framed in the doorway and also the whole angle composition of the open door and wall.

Good pics.....

Chris

I like these, they are very cinematic!

In fact #2 could be a still from a movie :)

Love these. Was about to say that I prefer 3, then I kept coming back to look at 2, and then really liked 4. Number 1 does seem the odd one out (good in isolation, but the others are IMHO much better)

I love the way you've caught them candidly. I thought three reminded me of a press snap from a theatre production.

Good work!

#2 and #4 for me, with #4 being an absolute belter. Was it really a candid?

Great mood in #4, nicely done.

Thank you, everyone! I've got loads more with all sorts of different moods but liked the quiet and reflective nature of this set. The dark interiors with small windows but bright sunlight outside leads to really nice results indoors.

#2 and #4 for me, with #4 being an absolute belter. Was it really a candid?

Yep, while we were being given a tour of their new home / wreck / project Anna stood in the doorway contemplating their garden / rubble yard. The structure to her right is a wine cuve.

Last edited:
I particularly like 2 and 4 as very good photographs in their own right, but also because there is a mystery about them around which I can weave my own story. For instance in 2 he is thinking "That was a lovely bottle of wine, I enjoyed it immensely." In 4 she is thinking "I was so happy here." after visiting her childhood home which is now derelict.

Quote "all sorts of different moods but liked the quiet and reflective nature of this set.", which in 2 and 4 you have captured perfectly.

I hope you don't hate my messing but this is nearer what I meant to bring it more in line with your set . It just seems stronger to me.

You may need to calibrate because that's ruined the shot. It's massively underexposed now.

This is all #1 needs. :)

20596817893_997c789c2a_b.jpg

All different genres / styles. 2, 3 and 4 are good and are all so different. If I had to pick a favourite, it would be #2. Very nice indeed and they all look very natural and unforced.

You may need to calibrate because that's ruined the shot. It's massively underexposed now.
Actually it is not...I set it lower key. The exposure has not changed.
I set the tones to be more like I would expect a cottage interior to look, lit mainly by light spilling through an open door.
Exposure is what you set on the camera to arrive at the tones you want.
Digital cameras, left to their own devices, make rainy day exposures look like they were taken on a bright day...every thing is evened up to a universal tonal sameness. It is not necessary to just follow along.
I do not have any Idea what the OP intended when he took it, or indeed how he saw it in his minds eye. I only offered a version.
There never has been what could be called a correct exposure, only one that places the tones where you want them.

If you look at the histograms of both the original and my version both include the full tonal range, his is somewhat preferring the high tones, mine more to those on the left. Neither is a measure of correctness.

There is no reason at all why you should prefer the darker version, few today would.

Last edited:
Actually it is not...I set it lower key. The exposure has not changed.
I set the tones to be more like I would expect a cottage interior to look, lit mainly by light spilling through an open door.
Exposure is what you set on the camera to arrive at the tones you want.
Digital cameras, left to their own devices, make rainy day exposures look like they were taken on a bright day...every thing is evened up to a universal tonal sameness. It is not necessary to just follow along.
I do not have any Idea what the OP intended when he took it, or indeed how he saw it in his minds eye. I only offered a version.
There never has been what could be called a correct exposure, only one that places the tones where you want them.

If you look at the histograms of both the original and my version both include the full tonal range, his is somewhat preferring the high tones, mine more to those on the left. Neither is a measure of correctness.

There is no reason at all why you should prefer the darker version, few today would.

That's fair enough. It just looks heavy-handed compared to the other shots in the set.

Back