Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

I had a lock-up yesterday. Shutter wouldn't fire, no AF and even the quick menu didn't go from the back screen when I switched it off. Only solution was to remove and re-insert the battery. Anyone else had this?

Only when using the sigma 150-600 and a 1DIV battery that I had, only time I've seen it.

I had a lock-up yesterday. Shutter wouldn't fire, no AF and even the quick menu didn't go from the back screen when I switched it off. Only solution was to remove and re-insert the battery. Anyone else had this?

No Mark, not had that.

I see the Cfast and card thing finished on the 3rd....

Anyone know if the raw files from the mark 2 open ok in older versions of Lightroom or will I have to upgrade LR to
Work with the files.

Nope, you'll need LR CC.......(or use Canon DPP 4.4)

Update needed and available now.
Didn't work for a while and photoshop updated about a month before lightroon.

Ah yes George I'm forgetting about non cc LR so no Eddie it won't work sorry...

Ah ... Presumably Canon dpp 4 comes with the new camera so the work around would be open in that then import into LR ?

Ah ... Presumably Canon dpp 4 comes with the new camera so the work around would be open in that then import into LR ?

Well not really I don't think, as LR won't recognise the CR file........unless of course you convert to ACR or JPEG which kind of defeats the purpose!!

Yes, DPP 4 comes with the new camera, and you can update to the latest version DPP4.4) via the Canon website...just follow the links on the Canon Europe site.

George.

Should work Eddie only thing to say about that is you'll be working with a non raw file tiff or other etc

Lightroom 5 will not open mk2 RAW files, you need LR 6.

Canon
Camera
Raw image filename extension

Minimum Camera Raw plug-in version required

Minimum Lightroom version required

EOS-1DX CR2 6.7, 7.1 4.1
EOS-1D X Mark II CR2 9.5 6.5

Sorry that may not have been clear, I copied and pasted!!

What it's saying is EOS 1Dx Mark 2 needs Photoshop 9.5 and Lightroom 6.5 for CR2 files!!

George

I think DPP is much under-rated. It works seamlessly with the camera and IMO produces more consistent results than LR and ACR. The new version, 4.x is a big improvement over previous.

I have used the new updated dpp and some features are better I find particularly the lens profile.
However, I had a nasty wedding with blaring light on the dress no cover shade. I could've used a filter but didn't for this and found LR did a much bettet job at reducing moire in the dress highlighted sparkles and have clearer visual end result.

Yea, I tend to play with both and in theory the algorithms in the Canon software should be better as Canon should know what to do with their own images, you'd think!!:)

However my workflow uses import in to LR then if necessary to CC for most prints.

Folks,

Any suggestions for a messenger type bag that will take a 1dxII with lens attached (17-40 or 11-24 type lens) and a second lens (70-200 2.8) in the bag?

Cheers

Anybody notice battery drain..? I put a fully charged battery in the camera on Thursday, this morning 77% (gps is all off) any ideas..?

Not seen that unless the GPS is on... So if you're confident that's off - not sure what would be causing it..

Auto power off not set?... is it a new phenomenon?
George

Last edited:
Another thought....did you check the error messages in the menu?....might suggest if there is a battery fault, the mk1 had this problem in the beginning but both of my mk2s are fine.

Double check the GPS because of the option for it to periodically check every x? amount of time "even" when camera is off!
Except when no battery or no juice in battery of course.
Is the battery the new one supplied or from an older camera.
If so check it is still charging correctly or can be charged fully.

Another thought....did you check the error messages in the menu?....might suggest if there is a battery fault, the mk1 had this problem in the beginning but both of my mk2s are fine.

Where would i see the error messages George.? Would it be in battery info.?

Double check the GPS because of the option for it to periodically check every x? amount of time "even" when camera is off!
Except when no battery or no juice in battery of course.
Is the battery the new one supplied or from an older camera.
If so check it is still charging correctly or can be charged fully.

GPS is all off...
New battery supplied with the camera, as far as I'm aware it charged fully, using the supplied charger.

Where would i see the error messages George.? Would it be in battery info.?

No it's part of the tools option, the 4th tab.

Go to "system status display", press "set" then "info" and that will show up any anomalies the body has picked up.

If it's blank, of course, then there's nothing.

Have you just got the camera, Jason, or is this a new phenomenon?

George

No it's part of the tools option, the 4th tab.

Go to "system status display", press "set" then "info" and that will show up any anomalies the body has picked up.

If it's blank, of course, then there's nothing.

Have you just got the camera, Jason, or is this a new phenomenon?

George
Everyday a school day, didn't know about that, thanks George..

And Blank.. :0)

Same camera as before, just noticed it so maybe a new phenomenon

If I were you, Jason, I'd do another check, certainly I think we've covered all the options, if it's still doing that againI'd have Canon check it.

George.

If I were you, Jason, I'd do another check, certainly I think we've covered all the options, if it's still doing that againI'd have Canon check it.

George.
Not quite all the options....there's the lens. The supply to the lens is not removed by the camera's power switch (on previous models) and a fault in the lens can draw current from the battery.

Bob

Hmmm, not heard of that one before, Bob, interesting thought.

You mean that on auto power off, there's still power to the lens?...why?

George.

Hmmm, not heard of that one before, Bob, interesting thought.

You mean that on auto power off, there's still power to the lens?...why?

George.
It's not only "auto power off", George, but the body main switch does not remove the power to the lens voltage contacts. In normal circumstances there's no power draw but a faulty lens can draw power. (based on previous models).

Bob

Why is that, Bob?....would that mean if you pressed, say, the buttons at the end of the lens they'd actuate the prefocus point (for instance)?

George.

The lens won't perform any functions as there's no longer communication with the body....it's just that the lens power contacts remain live if the 1Dx2 replicates previous bodies.

There have been other threads over the past 9 years where I've highlighted this and it has transpired out to be a lens fault.

Bob

As ever, Bob, interesting!!!.. how on earth did you find that out???... been poking around with a multimeter???.. why do you suspect that's done?
Worth a try for Jason to take the lens off as an experiment though!!

It was some digging around based on a similar scenario, George, of battery drain when the camera was switched off.....the problem only occurred with a specific lens fitted. I've not checked recent bodies to see if they still maintain the lens power at the contacts.

Bob

Last edited:
Back