Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

any noise reduction.?

OK, totally untouched, SOOC, exported from RAW, so any 'processing' is a product of the export and not me!

560mm, 1/500, F4, 12800 ISO:

16195-1471331601-3ad73befdf7cc8a43830d53cde94a916.jpg

Last edited:
I posted this earlier in this thread but some way back, here's a 25600 iso in a very dimly lit room at 10pm ish and SOC absolutely no pp
And yes that's my half finished pint so any wonky lines can't be blamed on me.
Using my 16-35 f/4 L IS at 16mm if memory serves!
Shutter speed about 1/40sec I'll have a look later if anyone wants the info, I'm at work and this is off of my FB page (no meta data)
25600.jpg

On the other subject regards which focus mode to use during AI servo.
Sunday last I was at Bristol Balloon Festival (UK) and among various displays where some kestrels (I think) and also some remote control model planes, different but both erratic (the kestrel was competing with another and so not doing much hovering).
I used mode two and also the complete focus area and while holding the back button you can see the red focus point dancing about while they track the subject.
Assuming the subject is within the focus areas bracketed section of course.
I did notice that although a very blue and almost cloudless sky at times it lost the subject and locked onto the clouds.
I had to remove finger from bb and re-hold bb for the camera to refocus or while tracking said cloud would go out of view and focus would re-lock on subject.
But all in all you can certainly see the focus points move across you view finder all on their own when the subject moves quicker than you can panning trying to keep it in the middle say.
The focus points going across the focus area all on their own is particularly noticeable when you stay still and let subject wonder over the area.

Been out for a while with the Mk2, this camera is fast, feels like the 1DX but slicker! Poor subject matter today but I am please, FPS is shocking, AF is spot on with my 500L/4, just updated the firmware for the hell of it and registered for my free Cfast card. Ordered a larmor screen protector as I like things to stay mint if possible. My 5D3 defo feels a little sluggish after the Mk2. Noise is smooth and images look great at high ISO as said many times, biggest issue with the 500L/4 on the 5D3 is focus, if you want to go from close to far the camera struggles to find focus, you normal have to shift the focus manually and then the AF picks up, no such issue with the 1DX2. From min focus to max focus (note I say from min to max, example is focus on min distance, then aim at a far subject, hit AF and 5D3 often fails to AF even in good light) in a snap with no need to jog the focus ring in the right direction. Other thing that worried me was shutter noise, but the shutter has a more snappy "click" unlike the 5D3's "slap" the quiet mode does sort of quieten things down, overall I am pleased, Anyway... thats my input... :) Cheers.

(.ps. next camera upgrade won't be for about 5+ years :confused: )

sadly I've just had to purchase a second one as I'm not using the mk1.

It'll be up for sale next week, a superb camera but not a mk2...

I used the video feature a while ago before the firmware update and didn't think to check out that it could do 4k 60fps
So although I don't know if it could before I have since upgraded to the firmware 1.0.2 and had reason to see what the 4k fps might look like.
However, it wasn't available only 50fps.
To utilise these frames you have to use MOV and not mpeg.
I can utilise the high frame rate but that is not 120fps but only 100fps as well.

Question, has anyone still got their camera with the original firmware and can they get 120fps in fhd and 4k at 60fps.
Then who has the updated firmware and what frame rates can you see?
The first are the frame rates you should be seeing although not all the options just the ones I'm asking about re the 4k taken from a utube vid screen shot.
The 2nd is what I have available on the menu from my mkii
There are other anomalies such as I have 25fps and not the 23.98 and 29.97fps
heres a PS image of them together mines at the bottom.

Video menu.JPG

Attachments

• 20160816_204225_HDR.jpg
    20160816_204225_HDR.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 18
Okay I have sinced sussed out what it was preventing me from getting the full options for the movie frame rates.
Some of you may know and some of you may be man enough to say you're stumped as I was.
Let me know if you are and I'll let on what needs to be done to get the 120fps

What has been your Canon journey to finally get you to your 1DX MK II?
Mine has been this;
10D 2004 with grip and two batteries plus two spare.
1D MK II 2005 plus one spare battery.
(2nd 1D MK II 2013) plus two spare batteries. then one packed up.
1D MK IV 2014 plus three spare batteries then one packed up.
1D X MK II 2016 plus one spare battery.
All with their respective electrical tethering battery.

Okay I have sinced sussed out what it was preventing me from getting the full options for the movie frame rates.
Some of you may know and some of you may be man enough to say you're stumped as I was.
Let me know if you are and I'll let on what needs to be done to get the 120fps

You need to set the video system to NTSC in the spanner 3 menu to release all the options. Now everyone knows

Yes Gary which is a bit annoying for those of us here in the UK with a native PAL system.
I know our TVs will play NTSC but knowing we are PAL I forgot about NTSC
I should have remembered though as way back when I was into video game consoles ooo about 5 mins err no 25 years ago I mean.
I use to play Nintendo etc and always bought the American or Japanese version of the consoles to get the higher frame rate of 60htz with the NTSC version of each console.
Never mind...

Mines out for delivery today (Wednesday) got a spare battery coming with it too.

Looking forward to see what happens to my 1Dx after this.

So, it seems amazing for birds..has anybody used it for landscape? I know it is meant for sport and wildlife just ordering what it can do. Could anybody post landscape?
I took a 1Dxii, a 5Diii, 24-70 F2.8L, and a tripod to the Queens View yesterday to attempt to answer you question. Problem is that I had no real knowledge of what I was doing from a 'landscape photographer' point of view! It was also the middle of a very sunny afternoon, so even I know that it wasn't ideal. Multiple images were taken with both camera's at a fixed point and a variety of settings, but I appreciate that Landscape is probably as much of a discipline as Birds is, so I may not have done any justice. I've not had a chance to look at the images yet, but I'll post them up here in the next day or so for you to have a direct comparison.

I have seen this seller before but didn't think to look when buying my mkii. £4696 inc UK vat & (I think delivery) with a UK vat receipt
As I understand it, it's only 'UK stock' if it has the CFast redemption offer bundled with it along with the big red CFast offer sticker on the box.

Reading the advert, I'd suggest this is NOT genuine UK stock as it doesn't mention the CFast offer. Most likely a grey import which has already been sold between dealers. In other words, someone buys it into the UK from Hong Kong, then sells it to this chap who then sells it to you.

At the end of the day, the cost of a 64Gb CFast card and reader added to this price, isn't really any better than a Canon Pro dealer will sell you a UK model for......;)

Could anybody post landscape?
I don't think this does any justice to the genre of Landscape photography, but at least it's something......

Best viewed from the perspective of a newbie, rather than someone who knows what they are doing:

16210-1471429541-0fbb7e64793236afb8a0113568dd8672.jpg

(24mm, F22, 1/80, 100 ISO)

EDIT:

Just discovered the graduated filter tool in LR (not something I normally use) so here's another rendition of the same shot. I'm sure it's still not going to give you any clues to the 1Dxii abilities for Landscape, but at least I've tried. ;)

16211-1471438319-1f7e043423fe639e9e208502b35bacc2.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a chance to play with my new toys at the beach today.
The bird is with the the canon 100 - 400 Mk2
the solo glider is with the 100 - 400 mk 2 + 1.4 extender
the glider with the passenger is the sigma 150 - 600 Sport
Both aircraft shots are heavily cropped.
So far I am very pleased with the camera, it almost makes it worth selling the kidney!!!AE9I9235.jpg AE9I9023.jpg AE9I8938.jpg

the solo glider is with the 100 - 400 mk 2 + 1.4 extender
Look closely - Man with a white hat keeping an eye on the 'solo' pilot...... :)

Who put the picture of the pigeon up ;)

I know 2 people who have bought a 1dx mkii because of it,
I too will be a broken man soon ;):):D
I got mine not long after it was posted but I was already wanting to get one

A small problem!
I shot some pix on the new 1DX yesterday and tried to download them onto my laptop. Neither LR or Adobe Bridge would open them, I just got a message saying "image cannot be displayed" yet my desktop version of LR, which is the same version CC as the laptop worked fine, any suggestions as to why this could be? The card is a CF Scandisk Extreme PRO 32GB 160MB/s UDMA7 which was used in my 5D3 with no problems, it was formatted in the 1DXii before use.

"Who put the picture of the pigeon up ;)

I know 2 people who have bought a 1dx mkii because of it,
I too will be a broken man soon ;):):D"

Maybe the guilty party should be either:
On commission from Canon or...
Suspended from the forum until our bank balances recover ;)

A small problem! Neither LR or Adobe Bridge would open them, I just got a message saying "image cannot be displayed" yet my desktop version of LR, which is the same version CC as the laptop worked fine, any suggestions as to why this could be?
I had a similar issue...... My laptop was fine, but my pc wouldn't display the images, despite both having the latest CC.

The problem was an older version of LR on my desktop - it was set-up to import card photos by default, so when I stcuk the CF into the reader, LR started-up automatically. However, it wasn't CC starting up, it was the old 5.7 which didn't recognise the files.

A small problem!
I shot some pix on the new 1DX yesterday and tried to download them onto my laptop. Neither LR or Adobe Bridge would open them, I just got a message saying "image cannot be displayed" yet my desktop version of LR, which is the same version CC as the laptop worked fine, any suggestions as to why this could be? The card is a CF Scandisk Extreme PRO 32GB 160MB/s UDMA7 which was used in my 5D3 with no problems, it was formatted in the 1DXii before use.

Are you sure you've updated LR and CC on the laptop?...that's the only suggestion I can make?

That my well be the case, I will check today. It's a CC subscription so should update automatically.

That my well be the case, I will check today. It's a CC subscription so should update automatically.

Does it do it automatically?...I seem to have to install, although I seem to remember it prompts me, however I've only had CC for about 2 months when I got the mk2.

I had a paid-for version of LightRoom on my PC before I got CC. When I downloaded CC, the old LR version stayed on my pc as a separate program - it wasn't over-written.

So, I believe what was happening was the default action for puting a CF into the reader was for the old LR to start-up, not CC.

I have just checked on LR and I wasn't signed it to CC which I have now done, so presumably it will update automatically and the world will once again be a sunny place!
Thanks to the posters for their help.

I have seen, and others have posted, that a price rise is imminent in the UK due to the turkeys voting for Christmas- sorry the Brexit vote........but not sure if it's an across the board increase or just on some products.....

George

If, as suspected, it is solely due to the $ rate / brexit / turkey christmas thing, then a global increase would be expected. In my own industry (which involves portable consumer/pro electronic devices) everything out of a factory in the far east appears in dollars at the factory gate. The resulting cost in £ is affected principally by the exchange rate.

If, as suspected, it is solely due to the $ rate / brexit / turkey christmas thing, then a global increase would be expected. In my own industry (which involves portable consumer/pro electronic devices) everything out of a factory in the far east appears in dollars at the factory gate. The resulting cost in £ is affected principally by the exchange rate.

Not sure I get your logic, John, surely if the USD-EUR rate is unchanged over the last few months and the USD GBP rate has markedly deteriorated, then any increase would only be in the sterling zone?...ah on reading your email again I assume by global you mean over all products, not geographically......yes I get your point there, however perhaps (and I'm only guessing) there's a much larger markup on say the pro products so they might be able to absorb more than the consumer ones?

George.

I assume by global you mean over all products, not geographically......yes I get your point there
Yes George - 'global' meaning across the product range.

Bear in mind, the cost at the factory gates hasn't changed. As far as I'm aware, Canon (Japan) will not be increasing anything. It's the importers (Canon UK) who will be seeing their margins eroded, as they are effectively paying more for a product which hasn't actually changed in price.

The cost of Brexit has actually been a devalluation of Sterling. Virtually anything which is not made in the UK will be priced at the factory gates in a foreign currency (typically $). Canon UK will need to 'up' their prices across the board just to retain their normal margins. They won't be making a penny extra against last year, even if it's a 10% £ increase. This cost willl be passed-on via the retailers who, once again, won't be making more profit either. The answer many will consider is to buy grey, but that has it's problems too - if you are paying in £ to Hong Kong, your Pound is worth less to them, so they will be increasing £ prices too, just to keep pace with the margins from sales in $ or Yen or whatever.

Yes George - 'global' meaning across the product range.

Bear in mind, the cost at the factory gates hasn't changed. As far as I'm aware, Canon (Japan) will not be increasing anything. It's the importers (Canon UK) who will be seeing their margins eroded, as they are effectively paying more for a product which hasn't actually changed in price.

The cost of Brexit has actually been a devalluation of Sterling. Virtually anything which is not made in the UK will be priced at the factory gates in a foreign currency (typically $). Canon UK will need to 'up' their prices across the board just to retain their normal margins. They won't be making a penny extra against last year, even if it's a 10% £ increase. This cost willl be passed-on via the retailers who, once again, won't be making more profit either. The answer many will consider is to buy grey, but that has it's problems too - if you are paying in £ to Hong Kong, your Pound is worth less to them, so they will be increasing £ prices too, just to keep pace with the margins from sales in $ or Yen or whatever.

Yup, that's certainly logical, well we'll know soon enough I'm sure!!

Back