Canon 100-400 MK1?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have a Sigma 150-500mm and find it for my hands a little heavy to carry around and looking at part exchange for a Canon 100-400mm, I cannot afford the MKll of the Canon but have read some reports on the original 100-400mm suffering from dirt/dust getting inside as it is a push/pull focus, birds are my main interest and again have read that it can be a little soft round the edges but as birds are the aim here would that affect images? Any other suggestions on a lens that will allow differant focal lenths to go along with my 400mm? Thankyou, Russ.

I had the Mk 1 for a while which i bought second hand, did`t have any issues with dust.

I had the Mk1 and it was fine and the push pull action worked a treat but it was slower focusing than I would have liked..............so when the Mk2 came I got a good deal at the time and part exchanged for the Mk2 and as I recall it was a tad lighter and a more responsive lens though the twist zoom action took a while to get used to.

NB since sold as I have gone to Olympus mFT ;)

If I were you I would look out for a decent secondhand Mk2 if wildlife is the prime usage, mainly down to the focusing speed. Not that the mk1, as mentioned, is bad it is just that the Mk2 is better.

I've owned both the mentioned lenses, the Sigma and the Mk1 Canon. I still have the Canon and I love it, had no issues with dust in the lens or on the sensor. I don't think I've ever seen a dust bunny on either my 7D or my 5D.

The Canon isn't a lens to carry all day but when I had the Sigma, I always had a sore shoulder when using it and after, something I don't get with the Canon. Probably a coincidence but worth mentioning. Also, the Canon is mainly on a tripod when I use it for wildlife.

I've owned both the mentioned lenses, the Sigma and the Mk1 Canon. I still have the Canon and I love it, had no issues with dust in the lens or on the sensor. I don't think I've ever seen a dust bunny on either my 7D or my 5D.

The Canon isn't a lens to carry all day but when I had the Sigma, I always had a sore shoulder when using it and after, something I don't get with the Canon. Probably a coincidence but worth mentioning. Also, the Canon is mainly on a tripod when I use it for wildlife.
Hi, One more question, Do you feel the Canon gives sharper images than the Sigma did? Thankyou.

In a word yes. This can vary over copies but I would expect any L lens to be sharper than a third party one. When I had the Sigma, I didn't find it particularly sharp but that might've been operator error back in the day. I've never noticed my copy of the 100-400 to be soft in the corners but some copies may be. This can be controlled by stopping down the aperture but then you lose light but I can't say I've never seen it on my lens. I've used my 100-400 on my 7D, a camera I've struggled with but I have gotten the sharpest images that I've ever gotten with that camera using the L .

I had two Mk1's over the years and my advice would be to try before you buy. My first copy was brilliant, shouldn't have sold it. The second one was a complete dogs dinner, even after adjustment by Fixation of London it was hardly better.
If you get a good copy you'll be very happy.

Back