Canon 1d Mark iii

Name
juel miah
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I already own a canon 7d for fottball so wanted to get other body and was looking at canon 1d mark iii, so wanted to know if canon 1d mark iii was good enough for football (afternoon kick off & night games kick off)? Please can you help me.

Last edited:
It should be ok, I once did a evening/night training session at a college training ground(poor lighting)without many issues...I would opt for a newer body though for the higher iso advantage

I would bet that many many football matches have been shot by togs using the 1D3. Some had focusing issues, but generally I understand that it's considered to be a solid performer. There is at least one forum member that preferred the 1D3 to his 7D. What lenses do you have?

Glenn 1d mark iii is good for night games in poor light?

Glenn 1d mark iii is good for night games in poor light?
I've not shot one, but given the 1D3 was top banana when it was launched, I'd be surprised if it had poor low light performance. I've read that the files from the 1D3 are inherently less noisy than the 7D files and see that the 7D is often slated for it's very strong AA filter and poor low light/high ISO performance especially noisy shadows. If that's the area you're looking to improve on, you might do better to save your pennies and fund a 1D MkIV or a 7D2.

FWIW, I'm shooting on a 50D and am considering upgrading by adding a 7D2 in the not too distant future to go with my recently purchased 100-400 MkII. I used to have a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 plus TCs and enjoyed them. The 300mm wasn't getting used on travel trips, so it had to go. I do kind of miss that, but am enjoying the 100-400 II.

I've not used them for shooting sports but when i had 7D and 1D3 I found the 1D3 far better for wildlife when the light was fading. ISO was better (cleaner images) and the AF seemed more capable.

Apart from the resolution of the 7D for cropping the 1D3 was my choice every time.

There are better alternatives these days but not at 1D3 prices.

Last edited:
I'll rather save up for 1d mark IV, Is canon 7d mark 2 a pr obody?

Sorry typing error, meant is 7d mark ii pro camera body

7D2 is an improved version of the 7D you already have. From what I've read it's a very capable camera body, especially for wildlife and sports.

Whether it's considered to be a pro body or not is unclear to me, as the 1DX is surely the 'pro' body while the 7D2 is the 'enthusiast' body. - Whatever any of that gibberish means.

Some might say that no APS-C body is a 'pro' body. Personally, as long as the kit is capable of producing high quality images, it's 'pro' status or otherwise is irrelevant.

Back