Canon 1D Mk11N SD Card Problem.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd better post this in case anyone is thinking of buying this camera, they can at least check for the problem. My one week old camera isn't letting me format any card at all in the SD slot, although the CF slot is fine. I've lodged notice of the problem with Warehouse Express who are happy for me to return it at any time, but they don't know when they'd be able to replace it due to them being in short supply at the moment, so I'm hanging onto it for the moment as it's not a real problem for me.

I've spoken to Canon UK also, who say they have no knowledge of the problem despite the fact that a search of the web revealed quite a few new owners having similar problems, but they say they're going to investigate.

As usual, the camera manual advises changing to a Canon card if you experience this problem, despite the fact that Canon don't offer any cards of the speed or capacity suitable for these cameras. I discussed this with Canon UK who say that they recommend Sandisk for use in their cameras, so this is one area where the manual needs updating.

As this is a minor problem I can get fixed any time during the warranty period I'm not too concerned at the moment and it may even be resolved with a firmware update. Other than this minor niggle I couldn't be more pleased with the camera - it has so many nice features which make it just about the best photographic tool I've used to date.

Its a very strange "fault" that, The camera can write to the card to put the photos on there but seem unable to format it which is essentially the same procedure. I would say that it is very likely to be fixed with a future firmware update.

Incedentially, is there any reports of this happening on the 1D MKII (NON "N") model?

Have you tried downloading any software updates?
The unit you have may not be up to date...

It's not writing to the card at all Steve. What happens is if I change over to the SD card I get a 'Card Not Formatted' message. If I then try to format the card either low level or normal, I get an 'Unable to format - change card' message.

I've no idea if there was a problem with the previous model.

Ahh sorry, I misunderstood.

So it appears to "see" the card but cant write to it at all?

Arkady said:
Have you tried downloading any software updates?
The unit you have may not be up to date...

I have Ron, and I can't see anything out there yet, although the camera is a very new model so I'd think it's early days for a firmware upgrade and Canon UK didn't know anything about the problem.

If anyone knows any different though I'm using Firmare Version 1.0.0 :)

Steve said:
Ahh sorry, I misunderstood.

So it appears to "see" the card but cant write to it at all?

Persactly - that's the bit I find strange.

Just had a look around for any firmware upgrades or Adjustment programs, as you say there is nothing showing at the usual trustworthy sites, either official or unofficial. I guess with Canon not yet saying that they are aware of the issues though, a fix is unlikely to be available.

Thanks Steve. As I say - no big problem at the moment. Some owners are finding they shoot so many images on the SD card and then they start to get corrupted images, so I think I'd rather have a duff slot than that problem, at least I'm not going to lose any shots.

Interestingly, I just checked the list of tweaks in the 'N' model and one of them is to improve communication between the camera and some cards, so it appears there were some issues with the earlier model.

No probs with the 1d mk 2, although just a thought, can you format the card in any other way, (pc other camera etc) and then try it again in the 1d mk2 n?

I've tried the three different cards I have (including a brand new one not formatted previously in other devices) all with the same result. I've also tried formatting the cards on the PC and in a PDA .... no go.

CT. I have the 1DMk2 and can obviously read, write to, and format both the Compact Flash and the SD card with no problems from the camera.

My brother has the latest N version and that works just the same mate.

I feel you most certainly have a faulty camera and as soon as this model becomes more available should take it back and change it, Although I would notify the seller with immediate effect.. :thumb:

Well Warehouse Express are collecting the camera by courier tomorrow which is pretty good service, but.....

Bugger!!! :annoyed:

That'll teach you to come on here showing off with your fancy new camera!
;)

Still, one way to look at it is that it's better to be in the situation that you have a 1D MkIIN to send back rather than not!

Hope it gets fixed soon!

Me too - I just love the thing.

They seem to think it's a camera software problem.

CT said:
Well Warehouse Express are collecting the camera by courier tomorrow which is pretty good service, but.....
Bad luck CT but better to get it sorted now.

dod said:
Bad luck CT but better to get it sorted now.

Quite. Funnily enough the first 20D I bought had a card read problem. It's times like this you wish you could go to Jessops et al and chuck it back over the counter. ;)

Have they given you any time scale for a repair/replacement? Actually are you having a replacement or a repair or are you happy with either?

Well Steve WE are saying they'll look at it on site and if it's not something silly they'll return it to Canon who will either repair or replace. WE don't have any in stock at the moment and a fair list of people waiting with back orders.

I'm not fussed either way to be honest, I bought it on 9 months 0% credit, so until I've got a fully functioning camera, they dont get the dosh! ;)

Its not so bad as you have the 20D to fall back on, it would be a complete nightmare if it was your only camera.

Lets just hope it is something silly and can be sorted on site.

Yes and the 20D is still the nutz!

Incidentally if anyone wants to avail themselves of this 0% option with WE, it's a very quick process. They pass your brief details taken over the phone to the finance people on site, who do the credit checks. I received the forms (already approved) for signature the next day, with a return envelope and 1st Class stamp.

All you pay is 10% deposit and nothing for 9 months when you have to settle up or it goes on 3 yrs finance, when it would get really expensive! :icon_eek:

Well it's gone (sob!) Picked up by City Link courier at 8am this morning. Excellent speedy response though from Warehose Express, and it saves me the postage and insurance expense. :icon_eek: I reckon that means I can have a walk up to the pub at lunch time on what I've saved. :beer:

...and that new barmaid!! :icon_eek: :naughty:

SammyC said:
There, there, it'll be back soon.

Either that or it will get lost at Canon and never been seen again :whistling

Obviously we hope for the former not the latter ;)

That's it - now I'm gonna get bladdered!

CT said:
That's it - now I'm gonna get bladdered!

There's an old age joke in there somewhere :ponders:

Not that I would ever think of it of course :)

Marcel said:
There's an old age joke in there somewhere :ponders:

Not that I would ever think of it of course :)

You wouldn't want me for a lodger! :D

CT said:
All you pay is 10% deposit and nothing for 9 months when you have to settle up or it goes on 3 yrs finance, when it would get really expensive! :icon_eek:

When I was speaking to them about the various options the guy on the phone said about 75/80% of people actually go on to the 3 years option

Stuff that! :icon_eek:

I suppose the finance company is hoping they'll do just that though.

Back