Canon 400mm 2.8 IS USM

Name
Darryl
Edit My Images
No
I have a need and can't see the posts in the buy and sell just yet, anyone know of any of these lenses for sale and the price please?

Mk I not II - I'm not minted!

Just sold mine two days ago - first game with the new beast last night - sorry

On Ebay? Possibly one of the two that are on there, missed out on one.
No - sold it privately - was going to trade it in against my new baby but on the off chance that he might want it I offered it to another photographer at the match I was shooting on Saturday.

Should add the only reason I changed it for a mark ii lens was that Canon don't support it anymore - and they hold value incredibly well - it basically cost me £150 to own for the nearly two years since I bought it from one of the forum members here.

Last edited:
No - sold it privately - was going to trade it in against my new baby but on the off chance that he might want it I offered it to another photographer at the match I was shooting on Saturday.

Should add the only reason I changed it for a mark ii lens was that Canon don't support it anymore - and they hold value incredibly well - it basically cost me £150 to own for the nearly two years since I bought it from one of the forum members here.

Indeed, finding it very hard to find for a good price. I'm guessing the rarity is pushing up the cost.

Indeed, finding it very hard to find for a good price. I'm guessing the rarity is pushing up the cost.
Yep they're a bit of a rare breed when it comes to finding them second hand at an affordable price - I snapped up mine when I spotted it on here - so much so that I flew to Northern Ireland to pick it up.

Bought mine brand new.. really peeved off that canon no longer suppirt it as it has an intermittant problem that i need to get fixed somewhere else when i have always used canon :( stil using it as it can go weeks perfectly then one game a couple of times can stop focussing and either switch to video and back or turn off/on either would fix it and back workign again and might be a month before it happens again.... Not a believer in things fixing thmselves but its a workhourse and i use it every week...cant live without it... going to wait until i go on holidays to send off for fixing....

hate to be the scarey one here but...Canon not supporting these lens means its a scarey prosepct spending thousands on a lens only to find a month later its not workign right.. i couldnt live with myself if i sold mine to someone knowing this could happen.. but others arnt as honest.. buy used from a dealer would be my advice..

hate to be the scarey one here but...Canon not supporting these lens means its a scarey prosepct spending thousands on a lens only to find a month later its not workign right.. i couldnt live with myself if i sold mine to someone knowing this could happen.. but others arnt as honest.. buy used from a dealer would be my advice..

Yep - Mine was working absolutely fine, was serviced by Canon last summer but I still made it clear to the guy I sold it to that the reason I was replacing it was because Canon don't support it anymore.

It is a risk, but with the Mk II commanding £6.5k+ used, it's not an option to go for that lens.

Again I would advise if buying a mkI to get from a dealer.. I have just.. today! bought a 300 2.8 mk1 for 2k with 6 months warranty.. body got plenty of marks but optics described as perfect and with 6 mths warranty its got to be a less nervy purchase..

When happy wiht this I can then send my 400 off as may take a few weeks to fix.. the 300 wil earn a living in that time :)

My used 300 arrived today.. nowhere near as bad looking as i thought... done two game this evening..one in light and one under floodlights..all pics at 2.8.. . to say i am happy is an understatement.. perfectly sharp.... 2k and 6mth warranty.. I feel i got a bargain :)

I think 400 is not required now as the ISO has got that good and the MP is so high now just fit a 1.4 converter. It's the same bar one f stop and nearly half the weight!

Who knows you may never go back to carting a 12lb lump around. :eek:

I think 400 is not required now as the ISO has got that good and the MP is so high now just fit a 1.4 converter. It's the same bar one f stop and nearly half the weight!

Who knows you may never go back to carting a 12lb lump around. :eek:

to a certain extent i think your right.. you can certainly do more wiht a 300 nowerdays due to betetr cameras...... I am glad i bought this one.. used it for 3 cup final tonight but u9 u11 and u15 .. tomorrow i will use the 400mm at mansfield town fc because i will be behind the goal and i if want a decent shot of other goal area or if celebrations go diagnoal away from me thats over a football field length away.. a 300 isnt going to hack it... same with cricket.. need the 400 for a few jobs yet :).. However i see your point and agree..can get a lot more out of a 300 with a decent camera.. works well with my 1dxii :)

to a certain extent i think your right.. you can certainly do more wiht a 300 nowerdays due to betetr cameras...... I am glad i bought this one.. used it for 3 cup final tonight but u9 u11 and u15 .. tomorrow i will use the 400mm at mansfield town fc because i will be behind the goal and i if want a decent shot of other goal area or if celebrations go diagnoal away from me thats over a football field length away.. a 300 isnt going to hack it... same with cricket.. need the 400 for a few jobs yet :).. However i see your point and agree..can get a lot more out of a 300 with a decent camera.. works well with my 1dxii :)

Work even better as a Nikon straight from the box Tony!!....... (stands back & observes the fall out)!! lol..........;).

On a serious note I have just added a 400 2.8 to my arsenal & the upgrade is already paying for itself for the Premier League footy & also enjoying the extra reach @ the Rugby League too.

Looking forward to the Summer cricket with the added 1.4 & 1.7 convertors. Regards Graham.

Work even better as a Nikon straight from the box Tony!!....... (stands back & observes the fall out)!! lol..........;).

On a serious note I have just added a 400 2.8 to my arsenal & the upgrade is already paying for itself for the Premier League footy & also enjoying the extra reach @ the Rugby League too.

Looking forward to the Summer cricket with the added 1.4 & 1.7 convertors. Regards Graham.

Had my 400 for about 7 years.. really couldnt do without it.. butt he 300 is a godsend..and works out the box and tack sharp and white :) can send my 400 off for repair knowing i am covered at monent :)

Did you decide who you were going to use for repair?

I did.. got in touch.. explained the problem.. they offered a 2 week turnaround at most and said will take apart and clean as that could fix..

great?

got another email a coupl of hrs later saying spoke wiht other people and they say probably needs a new af system and they ahvent got one.. and finished off wiht.. these get a good price on ebay even if your honest with whats wrong

eh ??????

I wont say who.. but not happy :(

Looks like I need to revet back to the one in wembley that canon suggested.. justa shame they wouldnt give a turnaround time or anythign.. but that isnt as importyant now i ahve the 300... so gonna send off ..hopefully next week .

Just stick with the 300 and a 1.4 converter. Thats a 420 at f4 you are only losing a stop.

Would you really sell one single photo less. Your arms will stop aching as well.

But you won't look so Ohh professional with a little lens.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just stick with the 300 and a 1.4 converter. Thats a 420 at f4 you are only losing a stop.

Would you really sell one single photo less. Your arms will stop aching as well.

No way I can use f4 at a night match... you obviously dont go the places i go.. f2.8 iso 25600 upwards with 500 shutter.. .. you really think going to f4 is a good idea?

haha I am in this to make money not look good :)

Last edited:

There's a bit more to it than just losing a stop. A 300 plus 1.4 converter still doesn't look like 400.28 used at F4...

Probably not what you need given the lighting but if you want to try a cheaper version I've got a 400mm 5.6 for sale?

Never used them but have you seen this?

http://www.thelensdoctor.co.uk/page18.html
This guy - Eddie Houston - fixed my Canon 500 f4, which my nearest Canon repairer said could not be fixed by them. Apparently the Mk1 versions of the lens have dropped off the bottom of Canon's list of repairable lenses. It wasn't cheap but it came back working just like new and sharp as a tack so it was a far better option than having to buy a new one. A mate of mine got his Canon 400 fixed by him too and was really pleased by how good the lens was when it came back.

He's based on the outskirts of Glasgow. Well worth speaking to him IMHO.

This guy - Eddie Houston - fixed my Canon 500 f4, which my nearest Canon repairer said could not be fixed by them. Apparently the Mk1 versions of the lens have dropped off the bottom of Canon's list of repairable lenses. It wasn't cheap but it came back working just like new and sharp as a tack so it was a far better option than having to buy a new one. A mate of mine got his Canon 400 fixed by him too and was really pleased by how good the lens was when it came back.

He's based on the outskirts of Glasgow. Well worth speaking to him IMHO.

Took my 400 up to him weeks ago... had a nice chat and left it with him :)

Back