Canon 70>200L F4 or F2.8 ??? (both Non IS)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Need a bit of advice please......

Looking to purchase my next lens, I've done a fair bit of reading already but wanted to know if anyone had experience of either/both of the above lenses. On reading Fred Mir'da most reviews talk as thought the F2.8 is coming back with the sharper picture :suspect1: not sure if these are just mostly low light shot or not.
The F2.8 does have the benefit when used with an extender as I understand I'd lose a couple of stops anyway. (Would possible pair up with a 2X ext'der)

Question then, is the F2.8 worth the extra £300 over and above the F4.:ponders:

Cheers in advance

Question then, is the F2.8 worth the extra £300 over and above the F4
Well it certainly would be to some people but that doesn't mean it is to you. After all £300 may not be all that much in terms of L glass but it's a big chunk of cash.

The picture quality of the two side by side, f stop for f stop is not going to be all that different. Much less than say the 300 f4L and the 300 f2.8L . Where you will most likely see more difference is in the focusing speed and how well it works with a converter on.

The f4 works pretty well with the 1.4 converter but will not AF with a (canon) 2x. The f2.8 is not going to have that issue and will always be brighter to frame with.

The other thing which could make a big difference is the weight. The f4 is compact and easy to live with compared to the 2.8

Joe T said:
The problem with buying the f4 is that you will often wish you had bought the bigger one. Buying a smaller lens then upgrading it later always costs more in the long run.

I use the 70-200L F4 and have never wished I had bought the F2.8 version. The quality is great as is its compact size and relative light weight. It works great with a 1.4x convertor at f5.6 and upwards with virtually no loss of quality, not so that you would notice anyway unless you are looking for differences ;)

You would get worse quality out of the 2.8version when used with a 2x convertor than you would with the combination I use for sure.

All of the above is irrelevant though...

If you need a fast (read lens capable of working in low light) and you can afford the difference and don't mind the increased size and weight then the 2.8 it will be.

Otherwise the F4 is highly recomended. :)

HTH :smilenod:

Mr THX, I have the Cannon 70-200 F-2.8 and I have never regretted it. A friend told me, that Lenses make the Picture. Good Luck Sean.

Optically they're are pretty equal. You've got the extra stop with the 2.8, not only does that give you more light, you'll also have better bokeh. Myself i like the fastest lens you can have, so i use primes.

Out of the two, i'd have the 2.8.

Could you not up the ISO to compensate for the extra stop ?

In terms of getting a shutter speed one stop faster you can, unless you are already as high as you can/want to go.

There are other benefits to having a lens with one stop more though. You have the option of a shallower depth of field on the 2.8 and as you see through the lens wide open the veiwfinder will be twice as bright.

It also makes a difference when using a converter. The 1.4x will work fine with the f4 but the 2x wont autofocus, well the canon ones wont anyway.

None of these things put me off getting the f4 mind and as you say, it's great value and optically fabulous. :)

Well thanks for all the advice fella's, I've ended up plumping for the F4.0 - In fact I've just come off the phone speaking to Ian(Kerso) who has done me a cracking price.:thumb:

I know full well that I won't be disapointed with this lens. It was a bit of a weight up really, being a relative newcomer to this game there is so much more kit that I need (Read :Want:hissyfit: ) and the £330 diffrence in price to the F2.8 left me thinking I could pick up maybe another lens (Macro maybe) or tripod or flash with the money saved.

I reckon this will be a great partner to my 17>40L lens just can't wait to get out over the weekend to take some shots with it.:clap:

Congrats, you'll love that lens :)

Congratulations :D

I've had the 70-200mm F4 L since september, and i've loved every minute of using it :D It's a fantastic lens, absolutely tack sharp wide open too :)

Back