Name
Henry West
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I am thinking of buying a Canon C200.

I of course did a bit of research to find the best price and noticed a huge difference in prices between two types of sites.

The first being the 100% legit companies who are well known, selling them for around £5200 (Tax Included).

The second being the unknown sites who sell them suspiciously cheaper. Over £1000, sometimes even £2000 cheaper.

One thing I also noticed is the camera model looks different when you compare the sites.
If you click on the link and compare the two models, you'll see that the legit sites have the C200 logo in RED but the cheap sites have them in PINK.

What does this colour difference mean and is it a red flag?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
I believe the phrase "if it looks to good to be true it usually is" springs to mind.

Welcome to TP anyhoo. Hope you decide to stick around!

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
I'm not familiar with tecobuy but eglobalcentral sell grey imports (non-UK stock) and if the tecobuy price is low I'd assume they're the same. While there are some companies I would buy a grey import from I wouldn't touch eglobalcentral with a bargepole and most certainly not anything with that high a value, they have a poor reputation on HUKD for slow delivery, poor communications and in some cases if items have gone missing they've refused to refund or replace it.

OP
pennydrop5859
Name
Henry West
Edit My Images
No
Grey imports are something I'll definitely be staying away from regardless of the price because warranty is a necessity when it comes to equipment at this kind of price and the whole tax evasion thing rings alarm bells. I just thought it looked very weird how the non-grey sites had a red c200 label but the grey sites had a pink c200 label. All the reviews on YouTube for the c200 have the red logo which suggests they all bought theirs from non-grey websites. Makes you wonder if those pink label c200s are even the same thing.

Weird innit?

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Looking more closely at those two sites it looks like they're the same since they're using the same image and the same identifier in the URL as well. I would be surprised if the grey imports had a pink badge rather than red.

OP
pennydrop5859
Name
Henry West
Edit My Images
No
I seriously hope people use their common sense before buying what looks too good to be true.

Thanks everyone

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Sorry to burst your bubble but I have used e.global in the past with no problems . .the other one I have not heard of .. with most sellers you will only get 12 months warranty after that it makes no difference whether it’s grey or red or pink you pay for the repairs ,, there are even grey importers based in the u.k with brick and mortar Premises I.e H.DEW that give 2 years warranty and are 100% legit .
It’s up to you where you spend your money but your initial post shows very little understanding of how the camera market works ,and just because you have never heard of a company there’s no need to run them down on a public forum ..

Or look at it the other way all these companies buy from the same source ie the manufactures the goods are the same despite a red label looking pink , so are the u.k ones actually making a excessive profit . .. virtually all camera equipment comes from the Far East how it ends up here and at what price is the question . Is the warranty you crave really worth paying £2000 extra for ?

OP
pennydrop5859
Name
Henry West
Edit My Images
No
I have 0 understanding of how the camera market works, that's why I'm here innit. The eGlobal reviews are far from comforting. Like the guy said "if it looks to good to be true it usually is".

OP
pennydrop5859
Name
Henry West
Edit My Images
No
"Eglobal and the other sites you've listed are grey importers, they're legitimate sellers in the sense that they do give you the items you buy from them but they ship the stock directly from Asia without paying VAT fees to wherever they ship it. The upside is that if the package reaches you without getting caught up in customs you make a nice saving. The downside is if it does get caught up in customs then you will have to foot that VAT bill yourself. Also, regardless of whether or not the VAT gets paid the product is almost guaranteed to not have any warranty cover, meaning if the product arrives dead in the box then you will be paying for the repair as well as a potential VAT bill."

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM??????????????????? Just isn't worth the risk dude.

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
But are the reviews actually true or written by people with there own hidden agendas ,i.e would benefit. If you bought locally . Panamozi is another top grey importer and will bend over backwards to sort out problems , and in the unlucky event of v.a.t being charged they will pay it.
If you have the money to buy in the u.k and support our shops then do so , I have done on lots of occasions ,but all I’m sayin* is there’s a alternative market out there if you buy from reputable dealers .as I said before H.Dew is a grey importer based in the u.k with a 100% reputation ,often gives 3 year extended warranty on cameras ,send repairs to well known u.k repair centres AND will issue you a VAT receipt if asked .. and save you several hundred pounds in the process .

Don’t take as gospel every bad report written on the internet often written by people after a extra discount ..

And in all honesty there are some really thick buggers out there that can’t figure out how to use there gear so it’s always someone else’s fault

Last edited: