Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Just bought one myself :) I'm hoping it focuses better than the EF-S 55-250mm with the adaptor. I took my M2 to the Ireland France six nations game at the weekend, I was very frustrated with the focusing speed and accuracy. When I did hit the sweet spot the quality was good, but it's a noisy beast and it hunts continuosly for focus. I hope the EF-M 55-200mm is as snappy as my other two EF-M zooms on the M2.
It arrived today, first impressions, build quality isn't as good as the other ef m lenses, visible seams from the injection mould, so obviously plastic body rather than metal, also the mount is plastic. I've only taken a couple of test shots, but IQ seems fine. Hopefully, weather permitting I'll give it a good try out tomorrow.

It arrived today, first impressions, build quality isn't as good as the other ef m lenses, visible seams from the injection mould, so obviously plastic body rather than metal, also the mount is plastic. I've only taken a couple of test shots, but IQ seems fine. Hopefully, weather permitting I'll give it a good try out tomorrow.

Same experience here. Good IQ in the centre but not sure about the corners yet. Need to get out in some decent light too. For the size and weight of it (and cost) I'm happy so far.

I was surprised to see the click and collect option, never came across it before.

There are quite a lot of vendors on eBay do click and collect from Argos. I have bought a number of electrical items over the past few months from eBay and every vendor offered click and collect from Argos. I never used the service, because every one offered free delivery, so didn't see the point in driving 12 miles to my nearest Argos. Probably worth it if you have to go in to a town every day.

There are quite a lot of vendors on eBay do click and collect from Argos. I have bought a number of electrical items over the past few months from eBay and every vendor offered click and collect from Argos. I never used the service, because every one offered free delivery, so didn't see the point in driving 12 miles to my nearest Argos. Probably worth it if you have to go in to a town every day.

It worked well for me - I was quite surprised. Nobody was home to collect the parcel and I refuse to have lenses in the hands of Royal Mail any longer than they should be, so it's not a bad option if you can't have post delivered to work.

Anyone been out with their 55-200 this weekend? I was working Saturday (best day) and today has been depressingly miserable in terms of weather :(

Last edited:
Anyone been out with their 55-200 this weekend? I was working Saturday (best day) and today has been depressingly miserable in terms of weather :(
Yeah I was, weather wasn't great, grey sky and flat lighting. I also was walking the dog so I shot one handed, not ideal, but although I had a few blurred shots, the IS seemed to work pretty well. On the whole I'm happy with the results, but TBH it is very plasticky, but it's reasonably cheap.
I meant to upload a few images on Flickr but never got round to it, I'll try to do some this week.

Last edited:
Still think I'd prefer the 70-200mm f4 over the 55-200, shame I sold mine last year before buying the EOS M, although I can pick up a used one for around £300

Still think I'd prefer the 70-200mm f4 over the 55-200, shame I sold mine last year before buying the EOS M, although I can pick up a used one for around £300

I agree. I had a 70-200 a few years ago and it was a great lens. The 55-200 is not as good, but then it takes up little space in my bag and is handy for the few occasions when I might need it.

Last edited:
Try again lol, my post disappeared. It does read like that. I wonder if the elements in the adapter are for the af. Pentax had an adapter a while back which had elements and they were autofocused allowing their mf lenses to be used but it had a 1.7x crop factor. Maybe canon are using the same technology but with no extra magnification if i read it right:D

It seems a bit odd. It says 'embodiment1: EF-M 70-200mm f / 2.8 IS', but as you say, where does the adapter fit in to this?? None of the specs seem to change other than the length of the lens, the 'BF' length (whatever that is) and the AF speed, according to the notes. The adapter seems to have 3 lens elements and possible some kind of IS?? It all seems a bit odd.

I wonder if this is some kind of tiny adapter and the adapter lenses allow the adapter to be much smaller?

Looking on the patent form it shows the lens length as 237.36mm. With the adapter installed it shows 239.70mm, so 2.5mm longer?

Wrist strap for me, I found the neck strap kept getting in the way, although with bigger, heavier lens combination, the neck strap may be better.

Same here. Optech wrist strap. There's some info earlier in the thread.

Ok, so I'm developing a serious case of GAS over the M3. No amount of medication is going to calm it down!

I was checking out the M3 + EVF on the Japanese Amazon website and it seems as though the release date is not until 31st March. Yet the UK Amazon site is saying 6th March. Is this correct? It's odd that the release date here is sooner? Unless the Japanese date is just for the EVF kit?

My white M arrived today... I thought for a while I was going to miss out on the deal as it should have arrived yesterday but didn't and they didn't seem to know why. Then it arrived this morning and it seems that someone failed to send it out when they should have!

I am avoiding looking to closely at the reviews of the M3 as I really need to not buy one. I too suffer with bad GAS and should probably stop buying cameras for a while.

My white M arrived today... I thought for a while I was going to miss out on the deal as it should have arrived yesterday but didn't and they didn't seem to know why. Then it arrived this morning and it seems that someone failed to send it out when they should have!

I am avoiding looking to closely at the reviews of the M3 as I really need to not buy one. I too suffer with bad GAS and should probably stop buying cameras for a while.

Glad you got a good deal on your white M. I've promised myself that this will be may last camera buy this year, as I'd rather put money towards actually going out and using it (holidays, days out etc), which is why I was looking into buying from Japan. Given the price difference (including delivery/handling) and the fact that the EVF is almost thrown in for free I think I'll hold out and buy that one. It's just annoying that the UK M3 is lunched before the Japanese one, or so it seems. I suppose a few reviews will appear before I go ahead with a purchase, which was my original plan!

Glad you got a good deal on your white M. I've promised myself that this will be may last camera buy this year, as I'd rather put money towards actually going out and using it (holidays, days out etc), which is why I was looking into buying from Japan. Given the price difference (including delivery/handling) and the fact that the EVF is almost thrown in for free I think I'll hold out and buy that one. It's just annoying that the UK M3 is lunched before the Japanese one, or so it seems. I suppose a few reviews will appear before I go ahead with a purchase, which was my original plan!

The free (almost) EVF deal in Japan is limited to the first 25,000 units sold. If you think you're likely to go for this deal I would order it asap to make sure of getting it. You can always cancel your order before it's shipped the same as Amazon UK.

With regard to delivery dates, I'd be surprised if Canon released in the UK before Japan. It's more likely that Amazon UK will put the delivery date back closer to the time (or even better, Amazon Japan will bring the date forward. Here's hoping)

The free (almost) EVF deal in Japan is limited to the first 25,000 units sold. If you think you're likely to go for this deal I would order it asap to make sure of getting it. You can always cancel your order before it's shipped the same as Amazon UK.

With regard to delivery dates, I'd be surprised if Canon released in the UK before Japan. It's more likely that Amazon UK will put the delivery date back closer to the time (or even better, Amazon Japan will bring the date forward. Here's hoping)

I've just signed up with Tenso so hopefully I'll be able to get an order placed today. As you say I can always cancel it if needs be.

I'm also surprised about the delivery dates and wondered if it was an error. It's unlikely they'd release it here first. On inspection, most other sites are saying April for a UK release, so maybe Amazon are being a bit optimistic.

cool, had kine a few days now instantly fell in love with it, build quality, image quality the lot absolutely love it and to top it off I was actually looking at the white body when I considered one at £199... have picked up a 2nd hand 22mm for £53 delivered(not arrived yet)..

I love the system, hopefully pick up the M3 in a couple of years when that has a similar price drop ;)

I think you will be pretty impressed with the 22mm f2.0 I know I am with mine

Yeah, these were about the cheapest ones I could find (with electrical contacts to retain aperture control). They light and plasticy, but well constructed and the mounts are metal. There are some meike ones with plastic mounts that are a bit more expensive, so I thought I'd give these a shot.

The impressive thing is I can mount both of these on my EOS-M, along with the EF adapter, a 1.4 times teleconverter and the MP-E and it all works perfectly! I was struggling to get more than one extension tube working with the teleconverter and MP-E on my dSLR. Again I was using cheap "generic brand" extension tubes and was thinking I would need to invest in the more expensive Kenko ones, or even Canon's own, so I was pleased that these worked so well for the M mount. I'm thinking about getting a second set to add a bit more magnification :)

22mm arrived this morning; slapped it on went round the local shops.. love it, I love the system it has already become my fave no need to shoot raw system ever.

16635868016_e762f1d279_b.jpg

16660781932_a987337686_b.jpg

£139.94 delivered for brand new EOS M w/ 18-55 lens and £53 delivered for used mint with warranty 22mm... I think I can safely say I 100% agree with you Matt
That's even better value! I thought it was excellent at £199! £139 is what some people pay for a point and shoot. Lol.

£139.94 delivered for brand new EOS M w/ 18-55 lens and £53 delivered for used mint with warranty 22mm... I think I can safely say I 100% agree with you Matt

The camera with kits lens and the 22mm for under £200 is an absolute steal.

The Argos deal got posted up on a FB group that I am on and someone instantly said 'There's a new better version coming out soon, don't buy outdated tech, wait for the new one'...

The camera with kits lens and the 22mm for under £200 is an absolute steal.

The Argos deal got posted up on a FB group that I am on and someone instantly said 'There's a new better version coming out soon, don't buy outdated tech, wait for the new one'...

I LIKE people like that - unfortunately they weren't effective getting the message out. :(

Saturday night boredom has set in and I'm contemplating some kit things.

Long story short my brother has my M to shoot his baby son and I have an M3 on order. I'm considering an all prime kit and wondered if anyone had done the same? I'll get the 22mm and I'm considering the 40mm too.

Does anyone have a kit of M plus primes? If so what have you got

Thanks

Neil

Saturday night boredom has set in and I'm contemplating some kit things.

Long story short my brother has my M to shoot his baby son and I have an M3 on order. I'm considering an all prime kit and wondered if anyone had done the same? I'll get the 22mm and I'm considering the 40mm too.

Does anyone have a kit of M plus primes? If so what have you got

Thanks

Neil

Boredom always ends up with me buying kit! ;)

I've got the 22mm EF-M, the EF 40mm and the EF 50mm 1.4. I've even used my 100L macro on it and it works as a great long range portrait lens. The 40mm is a bit of an odd size, not quite 35mm and not quite 50mm, but it stays in my bag all of the time and the 50mm normally stays at home. The 40mm is tiny and weighs next to nothing. The IQ is impressive too. Shame it's not a stop quicker but fine in most situations even at f2.8.

Nice shots. What's the BeeFree tripod line to use and carry. Is it light?
I had a befree tripod for a while and can say I found it brilliant for being lightweight and compact. I had it before I had the M camera but imagine the M would be perfect for it.

Back