Canon EOS M Series Cameras

The weather looking quite good tomorrow so off to Polperro for the day with my M :)

Anyone else out this weekend?
Definitely going to try and get a few snaps in this weekend. Would have done today had I known the forecast days rain wasn't going to materialise.

A few from Polperro today.

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

I haven't done much editing on any of them yet, just the shadows and highlights and straightening. I haven't even altered the white balance yet in the slow exposures so they are a little magenta at the moment.

Any C&C very welcome,
David

It's been very dull and grey here today, no chance to get out and take pics. Polperro is a beautiful location..

very nice set David, wb looks ok on my screen, but the last one has a magenta cast to it. I like the compositions on them to.

On an m3 note there are more high iso shots posted on this flickr photostream

Took my kit out yesterday including my 70d, could only find one memory card, It ended up going in the M and my 70d didn't get used! Light was a pain in the butt especially the sky. But the sun came out for a few minutes. Full size are on my flickr.

morayshire @ Barrow Hill #8 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

morayshire @ Barrow Hill #7 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

lms #1000 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

gwr 5164 with lms 2500 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

class 37 fuel gauge by scilly puffin, on Flickr

morayshire @ Barrow Hill by scilly puffin, on Flickr

very nice set David, wb looks ok on my screen, but the last one has a magenta cast to it. I like the compositions on them to.

On an m3 note there are more high iso shots posted on this flickr photostream

Took my kit out yesterday including my 70d, could only find one memory card, It ended up going in the M and my 70d didn't get used! Light was a pain in the butt especially the sky. But the sun came out for a few minutes. Full size are on my flickr.

morayshire @ Barrow Hill #8 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

morayshire @ Barrow Hill #7 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

lms #1000 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

gwr 5164 with lms 2500 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

class 37 fuel gauge by scilly puffin, on Flickr

morayshire @ Barrow Hill by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Thanks Micheal.

On another M3 note, a guy in Japan already has the production M3 and has a few videos on YouTube.

Un-boxing video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q594ZmumCBs&feature=youtu.be

Comparing M3 to M:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EycqfH8JHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlQQrvjlS44&app=desktop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPjZ69L_mi0

Of course I can't understand a word of them but quite good videos.

I'm hoping this means the M3 is already shipping in Japan :)

Thanks for posting those David, I see the m3 has a normal strap attachment, different from the m. A pity there were no switch on and foucs to shot comparisons. I really hope they have some at the photography show to play with next week.Having never seen the 11-22, that's a nice little lens.
I was wondering about zooms yesterday, my sigma 50-200 had a few little hiccups, not sure weather to put up with it or look at something new.

I will definitely get an M3 at some point this year, it looks a great upgrade from the M.

Can anyone recommend where I can pick up a cheap as chips evf for the m?

Also do we know if the evf is the same across all models?

Canon are so slow with this innovation stuff. Sony is way way ahead.
Care to expand? I live in the Canon world so I'm not up to speed on the latest offerings from other companies. I'm aware the general consensus is that Sony sensors do a better job with dynamic range and I've read about Sony's recent developments with IBIS. I've not heard of anything that would tempt me away from a Canon system as yet though (I believe Sony, and other manufacturers still have a lot of catching up to do with regard to a complete solution). Sure, I'd agree Canon are a bit slow to market with the latest trends, but then they have a very well regarded brand to protect so I'm not too surprised. It would be good to understand what you think puts Sony so far ahead though; I'd be willing to switch if there was a better offer on the table and it was cost effective enough.

Thanks Micheal.

On another M3 note, a guy in Japan already has the production M3 and has a few videos on YouTube.

Un-boxing video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q594ZmumCBs&feature=youtu.be

Comparing M3 to M:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EycqfH8JHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlQQrvjlS44&app=desktop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPjZ69L_mi0

Of course I can't understand a word of them but quite good videos.

I'm hoping this means the M3 is already shipping in Japan :)
Thanks for sharing. Did you see the latest one? I'd like to confirm if the M3 in this was using the same SD Card and shooting Raw, along with the M. Just didn't seem to hit the buffer at all!

I'd be very happy if this is the case, and it bodes well for recycle times!

Thanks for sharing. Did you see the latest one? I'd like to confirm if the M3 in this was using the same SD Card and shooting Raw, along with the M. Just didn't seem to hit the buffer at all!

I'd be very happy if this is the case, and it bodes well for recycle times!

Hi Tim,

That's the 4th video I listed.

Unfortunately that wont be shooting RAW I don't think. I'm sure I read something like 5 continuous snaps before buffering in RAW mode so I guess in the video he's shooting JPEG.

For me this isn't an issue as I don't really shoot anything that's fast moving anyway. But for anyone with the original M it's quite a bit quicker in RAW (and can shoot continuously in JPEG)

Really looking forward to this camera arriving now. I love landscape and find not being able to see the screen sometimes a nightmare. The tilt and EVF will sort this.

The other real plus is the grip in my mind. Walking around for a few hours with the M gives me a bit of cramp but the M3 has a nice grip.

Oh, and tethering (although it may be just via WiFi). Miss this feature from my old 7d and will use it a lot on my new camera.

David

Hi Tim,

That's the 4th video I listed.

Unfortunately that wont be shooting RAW I don't think. I'm sure I read something like 5 continuous snaps before buffering in RAW mode so I guess in the video he's shooting JPEG.

For me this isn't an issue as I don't really shoot anything that's fast moving anyway. But for anyone with the original M it's quite a bit quicker in RAW (and can shoot continuously in JPEG)

Really looking forward to this camera arriving now. I love landscape and find not being able to see the screen sometimes a nightmare. The tilt and EVF will sort this.

The other real plus is the grip in my mind. Walking around for a few hours with the M gives me a bit of cramp but the M3 has a nice grip.

Oh, and tethering (although it may be just via WiFi). Miss this feature from my old 7d and will use it a lot on my new camera.

David
Ah soz, I only watched the embedded ones, but followed the link to see the rest on the channel. So was the M shooting in JPEG also? Guess I should test on my M and see what it does...

Yeah looking forward to the EVF, it would be really useful for my macro stuff but need to figure out how to trigger off camera flash while using it! Might just have to rely on the tilt screen. The exposure compensation dial will make life so much easier for me!

Ah soz, I only watched the embedded ones, but followed the link to see the rest on the channel. So was the M shooting in JPEG also? Guess I should test on my M and see what it does...

Yeah looking forward to the EVF, it would be really useful for my macro stuff but need to figure out how to trigger off camera flash while using it! Might just have to rely on the tilt screen. The exposure compensation dial will make life so much easier for me!

I've read on a few forums that they find the exposure dial useless so I'm pleased to see someone else that's looking forward to having it :)

For me I like to spend a while taking each photo and after dialling in the usual settings and taking a test shot I then usually check the histogram and alter the exposure compensation. I was beginning to think I was weird :confused:

That seems a much faster focus to shot time which would be great, able to capture children moving and trains at speed would make it a great light weight alternative.

Now sony vs canon, are sony better? No I don't think so, they just do things in a different way.

pros for sony
high iso capbility
dynamic range
focus, af is faster and has tracking
70-200 f4 lens available
os, if they bring the 5 axis down to say the a7000 range, that would be great

cons
16-50 lens isn't that brilliant
it's a system change
can't think of anything else really

Then of course there is olympus with the rather nice em5 mk2
not as good high iso performance,( i hope to compare these at the photography show) but a cracking range of lenses available including f2.8 zooms, the 40-150 is just amazing. Plus there's a 1.4x tc

The only other main alternative I see is samsung, which has what appears to be an excellent sensor in there nx1 flag ship and is also in the nx500.

So yes there are better offers out there, I am sure if canon wanted to bring an a6000 series competitor they would do a damn good job of it.
Do I want to go buy an a6000? No, it just doesn't excite me and appeal to me, maybe the next iteration will, but who knows!

Latest cameras that have appealed are the gh4 from panasonic, the em5 mk 2 and the samsung nx1, all of those options would need me to sell everything I use now. Not done it because I value my 50-500 too much and I don't want to lose it, it's too useful.

I've read on a few forums that they find the exposure dial useless so I'm pleased to see someone else that's looking forward to having it :)

For me I like to spend a while taking each photo and after dialling in the usual settings and taking a test shot I then usually check the histogram and alter the exposure compensation. I was beginning to think I was weird :confused:
I use it for controlling exposure with ETTL flash. I'll just dial in the aperture based on magnification to give me the DoF I want (there's a sweet spot for DoF compared to diffraction at different magnifications), the shutter speed will usually be suitably high (I usually work with full flash and don't let much ambient light through). If I'm chasing a bug around though the exposure can change quickly as it moves across different terrain. At the moment I have to hit the info button and change it from the LCD screen which usually means having to find the bug all over again, recompose, find the focal point... Having the dedicated dial I can adjust without looking will be a huge bonus for me!

Care to expand? I live in the Canon world so I'm not up to speed on the latest offerings from other companies. I'm aware the general consensus is that Sony sensors do a better job with dynamic range and I've read about Sony's recent developments with IBIS. I've not heard of anything that would tempt me away from a Canon system as yet though (I believe Sony, and other manufacturers still have a lot of catching up to do with regard to a complete solution). Sure, I'd agree Canon are a bit slow to market with the latest trends, but then they have a very well regarded brand to protect so I'm not too surprised. It would be good to understand what you think puts Sony so far ahead though; I'd be willing to switch if there was a better offer on the table and it was cost effective enough.

This "Which is the best sensor?" question has been to-ing and fro-ing on numerous forums for what seems to be forever. I found the link below quite interesting.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0012810/...source=cj_7667028&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.7667028

This "Which is the best sensor?" question has been to-ing and fro-ing on numerous forums for what seems to be forever. I found the link below quite interesting.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0012810/...source=cj_7667028&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.7667028
I've had a quick scan through the article and it seems to confirm my current understanding. Canon hardly get a look in. What it doesn't do is demonstrate the real world difference between sensors (which isn't much imo) and it states it's only comparing cameras on one factor, low light performance. Besides, Canon are about to launch their next generation of sensors so the discussions can be reignited all around the Internet :)

I just picked your post Pete as an example of one of many but I am not understanding the point of buying a very compact camera and then sticking huge EF lenses on it? Obviously it is no longer compact but also the lenses will handle/balance much better on a DSLR. For me the EOS M is an alternative to my DSLR's for when I want to travel light and I have no intention of mounting my EF 100-400 Mk2 on it!

Just looking at options. I realise that it's a compact system and my three lenses are all EOS M lenses currently, but I also have the EF adapter and were looking at options to get to 200mm and perhaps wanted something better, faster than the 55-200mm on offer. Sold my 70-200mm f4 last year before I bought the M and sort of regretting it.

The canon eos M does look a bit out of place mounted on my 500mm f4 :rolleyes::):naughty:

I bought an easycover one from SaintSLR on here which looks exactly the same. I like it and it hasn't left the camera since it arrived but I guess they won't be for everyone. The buttons line up perfectly and it protects the camera well. Not sure it improves the grip much but then I use a neck strap.
Glad to hear it's being put to good use!

Just a heads up for anyone in here,I shall be listing my EOS -M kit up shortly.

Any reason for selling?

Well if you are asking both of us Michael, I am about to go over to the dark side :D so just want to get shot of it.I would let the wife have it but she is happy enough with either her iPad or phone for her photo needs.

Back