Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I'm keeping mine. The whole reason for me buying the M3 is that I gave my M to my brother just before Christmas because my nephew was born in December. I don't see myself getting it back anytime soon so I decided to use that as an excuse to buy the M3.

Now I just need to buy another 22mm

I am assuming folk that are getting m3 evf kit and going to sell their M bodies. What sort of price are you asking for for the body?
For me, at the current price of the M, it isn't worth selling. I'd obviously want to keep the kit lens and 90ex flash, so I'd probably get less than £100 for it (especially as mine took a tumble so is less than mint condition). Not that I'm complaining, as I got it all for less than £200. I'll be keeping it as a spare body which I might convert at some stage.

I am assuming folk that are getting m3 evf kit and going to sell their M bodies. What sort of price are you asking for for the body?

Whilst I didn't go for an M3 (I decided to go to a 100D instead) I sold my M kit last week, I got £220 for the M + 18-55mm kit + adapter + 22mm.

@Wissel @strumstrum

Ok, I've been doing more research and think I'll push the button on this recorder tomorrow:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

I looked at the zoom H1 and thought it was everything I needed (if I bit more than I was hoping to pay) but further research showed the Tascam is generally better built with a few more features.
I looked at the Tascam DR07mk2, but it's been superseded by the Tascam DR-22WL. It's a bit more expensive than the DR05 V2, but I think the main difference is that it has wifi capabilities. Not sure how much I would use that option at the moment so doesn't seem like it justifies the additional cost for my purposes. I actually prefer the design of the DR07 Mk II, with the optional microphone orientation as the AB layout seems more appropriate for my needs. Anyway, I figured I'd go with the base model as not sure yet how much additional use I would get out of it, and I can always upgrade at a later date if I start hitting it's limitations.

Thanks again for the suggestions (I also had a look at the Rhode mic offerings, but decided I would be better off with a standalone recorder). Please let me know if you think I've made the wrong decision or have over looked something I should consider.

:ty:

Stocks of the Black M2 are becoming low in Birmingham branches of Argos. This made my mind up and I have one reserved which I'll pick up later this morning.

@Wissel @strumstrum

Ok, I've been doing more research and think I'll push the button on this recorder tomorrow:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294

I looked at the zoom H1 and thought it was everything I needed (if I bit more than I was hoping to pay) but further research showed the Tascam is generally better built with a few more features.
I looked at the Tascam DR07mk2, but it's been superseded by the Tascam DR-22WL. It's a bit more expensive than the DR05 V2, but I think the main difference is that it has wifi capabilities. Not sure how much I would use that option at the moment so doesn't seem like it justifies the additional cost for my purposes. I actually prefer the design of the DR07 Mk II, with the optional microphone orientation as the AB layout seems more appropriate for my needs. Anyway, I figured I'd go with the base model as not sure yet how much additional use I would get out of it, and I can always upgrade at a later date if I start hitting it's limitations.

Thanks again for the suggestions (I also had a look at the Rhode mic offerings, but decided I would be better off with a standalone recorder). Please let me know if you think I've made the wrong decision or have over looked something I should consider.

:ty:

Looks a good choice to me.

I haven't read much on the Tascam but the only thing I'd check before buying that hasn't been mentioned is how can it be fixed to camera.
The H1 has a tripod mount in it's underside which is really useful as it can be mounted to a hotshoe (with adapter) or placed on a small tripod or flash foot.

The H1 also fits into the Rode shockmount, although I'm sure one is available to fit the Tascam as well if you find you need one.

By the way, not sure what editing software you use but if you do have Premiere Pro it has a very useful feature where you can import the film and audio tracks, draw a box around them, then right click synchronise (audio) and your done. I guess other software has similar features but I thought I'd mention this as it's sooooooooooo useful.

EDIT - Just checked and the Tascam also has a tripod screw in the bottom :)

Last edited:
yeah Tascam has tripod mount screw so you use a little hotshoe to tripod mount on your camera or use a tripod, which is why I purchased a recorder in the first place for recording sound coming from one area whilst I am all over the place videoing; it works well mounted on camera though or a shoulder rig(which is my nest step for video recording).

Looks a good choice to me.

I haven't read much on the Tascam but the only thing I'd check before buying that hasn't been mentioned is how can it be fixed to camera.
The H1 has a tripod mount in it's underside which is really useful as it can be mounted to a hotshoe (with adapter) or placed on a small tripod or flash foot.

The H1 also fits into the Rode shockmount, although I'm sure one is available to fit the Tascam as well if you find you need one.

By the way, not sure what editing software you use but if you do have Premiere Pro it has a very useful feature where you can import the film and audio tracks, draw a box around them, then right click synchronise (audio) and your done. I guess other software has similar features but I thought I'd mention this as it's sooooooooooo useful.

EDIT - Just checked and the Tascam also has a tripod screw in the bottom :)
Thanks. i knew I would need some way of synching the audio, but not got that far as yet :) Hoping I won't need to get Adobe Premiere pro as that means more expense (my current CC package only includes LR and PS). I have a copy of Premiere Elements so hoping I can use that, or there is some video editing functionality available in Photoshop which has served my purposes for the most part. Anyway, need to investigate that bit further, hopefully that functionality can be covered without having to upgrade my package!

I've just had confirmation of shipping of M3 from Tenso along with tracking number :)
Woot! Me too. May be get here on Wednesday then, which would be good as I'm having to travel down to London on Thursday :(

You wouldn't want this lens on the front of your M everyday.:DView attachment 33908
That's not a lens
sigma2000.jpg

This is a lens
(In my best Crocodile Dundee voice)

What lens is that Alan? It's huge

What lens is that Alan? It's huge

Sigma 150-500.

I haven't used it on the M yet. I set it up for a Moon shot and thought how ridiculous it looks, so thought it was worth a quick snap. The one in your post looks even more stupid.:(

I don't think it looks stupid. EOS M's are great for hanging off the back of telescopes, there's hardly any weight to them!

Sigma 150-500.

I haven't used it on the M yet. I set it up for a Moon shot and thought how ridiculous it looks, so thought it was worth a quick snap. The one in your post looks even more stupid.:(

Lol, it does. I saw the picture online last week, it's a Sigma 2000mm apparently.

On a different note, I was allowed my new Firecrest 10 and 16 stop filters yesterday (birthday present from the Missus).

The weather was dire yesterday but not bad today so I popped down to Charlstown to give them a quick go. This was just a quick test as I have a banging headache and a ton of work to do today but it show the difference between 10 and 16 stops.

10 stop, f11, ISO100, 11mm, 2.5 seconds:
IMG_0722.jpg

16 stop, f11, ISO100, 11mm, 166 seconds
IMG_0723.jpg

Ignore the processing (not the same on each photo) as I was just messing about, also the dust spots (didn't clean the filters first) but I thought this may be interesting to anyone considering a 16 stopper.
The Hitech Firecrest's don't appear to have any colour cast, plus I haven't fitted gaskets to either and I can't see any light leakage. This is the 67mm kit which is fine on the 11-22mm M lens at 11mm as long as the adapter has just one filter holder attached.

Lol, it does. I saw the picture online last week, it's a Sigma 2000mm apparently.

On a different note, I was allowed my new Firecrest 10 and 16 stop filters yesterday (birthday present from the Missus).

The weather was dire yesterday but not bad today so I popped down to Charlstown to give them a quick go. This was just a quick test as I have a banging headache and a ton of work to do today but it show the difference between 10 and 16 stops.

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

Ignore the processing (not the same on each photo) as I was just messing about, also the dust spots (didn't clean the filters first) but I thought this may be interesting to anyone considering a 16 stopper.
The Hitech Firecrest's don't appear to have any colour cast, plus I haven't fitted gaskets to either and I can't see any light leakage. This is the 67mm kit which is fine on the 11-22mm M lens at 11mm as long as the adapter has just one filter holder attached.

Those look pretty good to me. The only filter I use is a polarising filter. I did try a piece of welding glass a couple of years ago, which wasn't too bad, must give it another go soon

Congrats for your birthday on the 30th, mine was on the 24th, but sadly i'm quite a bit older than you. :(

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

Wow, I knew there would be some differences but didn't realise they would be this much (ignoring the colour/vibrancy of course). I still need to try out my home made solar filters I made for the eclipse for general long exposure landscapes. I'm expecting everything to just turn to cream..

Well my new Tascam just arrived! This things amazing. I think it's worth getting one just to play with, regardless of if you are shooting any video or not :)

Received my Tenso email today warning me of the battery/shipping issue. Did you guys just reply to the original email or did you contact them via the website?

I just replied and within an hour they shipped.

Thanks. I did the same but I've heard nothing. It could be that I replied out of office hours though, so hopefully it'll get shipped in the early hours.

Received my Tenso email today warning me of the battery/shipping issue. Did you guys just reply to the original email or did you contact them via the website?

For some reason all the first ones shipped from Tenso without permission, they just sent out emails saying they had inserted the battery.

From what I've seen on other forums, since Sunday they have gone back to their usual method of asking for permission via email. You just need to reply to the email from what others have said.

It will then take them a good day to reply saying they will, then a further day to see the camera on your Tenso "my page". You can then log in and pay for shipping but look carefully at the insurance box as it looks checked whilst it isn't (if insurance shows as an extra 100yen it's correct).

They are slow at emails, but it seems that's just the way Japanese companies work.

It may be quicker for you but I thought I'd let you know what others have reported before you panic (as I was starting to ;))

Last edited:
I had a brief look when it was mentioned the other day, in what way is this different to the likes of a rhode video mic?
It's a sound recorder rather than a mic (a bit like a posh dictaphone) so you can use it in isolation. It was fun when playing around with it in the office this aft, picking up all kinds of conversations :) you obviously need to synch you audio track to your video in post, although you can connect it directly to the camera and use it as a mic. I thought it best to go for this option for my purposes (videoing a wedding) as I can leave it by the front table or somewhere, not sure where the camera will be yet.

Sorry I wrote the wrong thing. It wasn't shipped within the hour it appeared on my page within the hour. I then paid for it. All of this happened about 8am GMT

For some reason all the first ones shipped from Tenso without permission, they just sent out emails saying they had inserted the battery.

From what I've seen on other forums, since Sunday they have gone back to their usual method of asking for permission via email. You just need to reply to the email from what others have said.

It will then take them a good day to reply saying they will, then a further day to see the camera on your Tenso "my page". You can then log in and pay for shipping but look carefully at the insurance box as it looks checked whilst it isn't (if insurance shows as an extra 100yen it's correct).

They are slow at emails, but it seems that's just the way Japanese companies work.

It may be quicker for you but I thought I'd let you know what others have reported before you panic (as I was starting to ;))

Thanks mate. I'll hold out and see what happens tomorrow. Looks as though I won't get mine before Easter, but then I wasn't really expecting it before then.

Sorry I wrote the wrong thing. It wasn't shipped within the hour it appeared on my page within the hour. I then paid for it. All of this happened about 8am GMT

No worries. I'll keep checking the Tenso site in the meantime. I replied to their email at 9am GMT this morning, which I reckon would have been 5pm their time. Either they were knocking off early or they are taking their time to reply!

I'm just back from a long weekend in NYC for my girlfriends 40th birthday and with our 2.5yo daughter.

Decided just to take the M as I thought I'd have my hands full with a 5D2, and from a quick scan through the shots am very happy. Most were taken with the 22mm although I did pop on the 18-55mm every now and again. I'll try and post a few more once I've had a chance to sift through them, but here's one of my favourites so far.

TOTR.jpg

Back