Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Why don't we keep all the m talk in one place do we really need two threads?
There are quite a few differences between the cameras, including sensors along with various other bits of functionality. I thought it would avoid confusion by creating a separate thread, and thought that was the way of things in this forum ( there are numerous other threads about specific camera bodies). Besides this thread is 45 pages in now, and it would make it easier to find stuff specific to the M3. That was my thinking anyway, but I'm not overly bothered if you want to keep everything in one thread.

Last edited:
There are quite a few differences between the cameras, including sensors along with various other bits of functionality. I thought it would avoid confusion by creating a separate thread, and thought that was the way of things in this forum ( there are numerous other threads about specific camera bodies). Besides this thread is 45 pages in now, and it would make it easier to find stuff specific to the M3. That was my thinking anyway, but I'm not overly bothered if you want to keep everything in one thread.

I really like this thread so will continue posting here (you can't get rid of me that easy, you could try the ignore button I guess :))

There's a great mix of posters, lots of great photography and lots of good advice. Also it's nice and troll free :)

Besides, I'm likely to be using my original M just as much as my M3 as it's a great little camera.

My M3 is now showing in ParcelForce tracking as "Awaiting Customs Charging". As I wasn't sure what this means I gave them a call and it basically means the parcel will now go to my local delivery depot at which point a letter will be sent to me informing me I need to pay £102.09 in charges (don't know what the breakdown is but this is the total).

To speed things up I can wait until it's showing at my local depot online (around Tuesday the lady guesses), then either phone up to pay, pay online or pay in person and collect (which is what I'll probably do).

This will make the total cost for the M3 + EVF from Amazon via Tenso £328 + £33.54 delivery (via PayPal) + £102.09 customs charges = £463.63 compared to around £800 in the UK.

Thought this might be useful to others waiting or thinking of ordering this way.

I'm just back from a long weekend in NYC for my girlfriends 40th birthday and with our 2.5yo daughter.

Decided just to take the M as I thought I'd have my hands full with a 5D2, and from a quick scan through the shots am very happy. Most were taken with the 22mm although I did pop on the 18-55mm every now and again. I'll try and post a few more once I've had a chance to sift through them, but here's one of my favourites so far.

TOTR.jpg
Looks like you got a great shot from Top of the Rock at sunset, how did you manage to avoid the hordes?

This will make the total cost for the M3 + EVF from Amazon via Tenso £328 + £33.54 delivery (via PayPal) + £102.09 customs charges = £463.63 compared to around £800 in the UK.

Thought this might be useful to others waiting or thinking of ordering this way.

That is seriously not bad going considering that there is an EVF included as well (worth £200). Thanks for the update. Let us know once it arrives. It'll be good to know how long it takes to process the customs end of things in the UK.

Mine's only just shipped - hope it makes a speedy journey over the bank holiday!

Looks like mine is 12 hours behind yours based on the awaiting customs clearance status

I've just picked up my M3 :)

It was showing as delivered to my local Parcelforce depot so I just went down, gave my tracking number, paid the customs charge and collected.

All I've done so far is unboxed it, here is the video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE9RDf9wy_g&feature=youtu.be

In the video I mention the charger has a Japanese plug attached to it. On the charger it states (in English) that the input voltage can be anywhere from 100 - 240v, so all it needs is an adapter. I've just reserved one in my local Argos (item number 982/7590, £4.99) and I'm off to get it now.

To change the menu to English this is the process:

1. Press Menu
2. Press the Spanner symbol
3. Press the number 2 below the spanner
4. Scroll to the bottom option on screen
5. Press set
6. press English
I'm going to get the battery charged then go out and try the camera for the day. Been looking forward to this :banana:

excellent unboxing vid @Wissel . yes quite a bit bigger it looks like Canon might be aiming at the 'replacement' market instead of the 'second camera' one..... interesting.
I thought the same as well with regards to 'replacement' market. I was going to give the M3 a miss but having watched the video, it's tempting!!!!

excellent unboxing vid @Wissel . yes quite a bit bigger it looks like Canon might be aiming at the 'replacement' market instead of the 'second camera' one..... interesting.

Thanks, never tried to do one before.

I've just tried a couple of test shots around the house and so far I'm impressed. The AF is MUCH faster which is a relief and it feels better to hold (to me). The tilt screen works well and I really like the EVF.

Now the battery is flat so off to Argos for the adapter.

Thanks, never tried to do one before.

I've just tried a couple of test shots around the house and so far I'm impressed. The AF is MUCH faster which is a relief and it feels better to hold (to me). The tilt screen works well and I really like the EVF.

Now the battery is flat so off to Argos for the adapter.
The joys of being an early adopter lol. [emoji6]

@Wissel What was the plate on the bottom of the M you had?

It's just a 25mm Arca Swiss plate Micheal.

I use a Benro IT25 most of the time (great tripod for the M) but after seeing the pictures of the M3 online it looked like the gap between the tripod mount and and battery casing was smaller than the M so I ordered the smaller plate for it. It's now sitting on it's new home and my standard size plate is back on my M.

I've also fitted an OpTech strap attachment to my M3 so my wrist and sling strap can be clicked on. The strap mount on the new M3 is very thin, getting the OpTech strap through was a b****.

Battery should be charged soon. Then off out I go ;)

Would it not have been quicker to chop off the original plug and replace it with a 13amp 3 pin plug? That is assuming the charger doesn't push into the wall socket. :)

It's part of the charger annoyingly (one of the plug directly into the wall types).

I had assumed it would have a figure of 8 lead plug in the back. You know what they say about assumptions. Still sorted now (and hopefully finished charging soon).

Well I went down to the Leeds depot this morning to pick up my M3. I handed over the tracking number and the lady at the counter looked up at me "You do realise it's on the back of a 10 tonne truck don't you?"

"Er.. no. What does that mean. Does that mean I'm not getting it today?"

"Yes"

****MELTDOWN****

"WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT, IT'S BEEN SITTING HERE SINCE SIX IN THE MORNING? HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE OFFLOADED IT YET??!? WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL DAY YOU LAZY BUNCH OF *@$!*@!!!!"

Ok... not really. I just looked slightly disappointed and the nice lady said I could pay the charges, and she'd leave a message for the night shift to say it was sorted. She's back on duty on Tuesday morning, so she'll make sure it gets to me then. Oh well... I guess I get to enjoy the feelings of anticipation for a few days longer, while I cry at my keyboard watching @Wissel 's unboxing video on repeat...

Thanks David. I wrongly assumed that it would be a similar charger to the one that was supplied with the original M, but I had forgotten that it is a completely different battery.

Incidentally, I have posted a link to this thread on the POTN forum, so your video will be going global. No pressure then to get some great images posted. :clap:

@Wissel What was the plate on the bottom of the M you had? Looking forward to seeing stuff from the M3!

Used my M and 18-55 and little flash at the stratford butterfly farm yesterday

stratford butteryfly farm #3 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

stratford butteryfly farm #2 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

stratford butteryfly farm #1 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

stratford butteryfly farm #4 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Need to go back at some point and get better pics of the butterflies.
Nice pics. A good setup for the M for these butterfly shots would be the 55-200 and maybe third party extension tube.

Well I went down to the Leeds depot this morning to pick up my M3. I handed over the tracking number and the lady at the counter looked up at me "You do realise it's on the back of a 10 tonne truck don't you?"

"Er.. no. What does that mean. Does that mean I'm not getting it today?"

"Yes"

****MELTDOWN****

"WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT, IT'S BEEN SITTING HERE SINCE SIX IN THE MORNING? HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE OFFLOADED IT YET??!? WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING ALL DAY YOU LAZY BUNCH OF *@$!*@!!!!"

Ok... not really. I just looked slightly disappointed and the nice lady said I could pay the charges, and she'd leave a message for the night shift to say it was sorted. She's back on duty on Tuesday morning, so she'll make sure it gets to me then. Oh well... I guess I get to enjoy the feelings of anticipation for a few days longer, while I cry at my keyboard watching @Wissel 's unboxing video on repeat...

If it makes you feel a little better the weather turned here just as the battery finished charging :mad:

Here's a few first thoughts.

I like EOS remote - prefer WiFi to NFC as I can leave my tripod mount in place. Doesn't want to work with DSLR controller (WiFi or tethered) but EOS remote is fine.

I've only tried the 11-22 so far and only indoors but it works very well. To give an example, if I tried to shoot my dog indoors with the 11-22 on my M I would miss the shot. The M3 I'm finding much faster and great for this kind of photo.

I really like the digital level and being able to show it, along with a histogram is useful.

I mainly shoot landscapes so focus speed on the M was never a real issue, but sunlight was as I couldn't see the screen. I've only had a quick play with the EVF but it seems very good.

I haven't processed any photos yet but I can see from the screen (and my tablet and phone via EOS remote) that images are very sharp, as they are with the M.

Having a grip is very nice, and I can see the tilt screen being very handy.

Looking forward to getting out properly with my new toy tomorrow. The weather here in Cornwall is looking quite good first thing in the morning so planning an early start, probably on Bodmin Moor. I'll get a few comparison shots (M & M3) tomorrow and post them. I'll upload the RAW files as well for anyone wanting them.

Obviously these are just first thoughts, but I'm really happy so far.

Very excited about getting mine now! Thanks for sharing the unboxing video. It looks fantastic. It's a shame the charger doesn't come with a standard figure of 8 connector/cable, but not the end of the world. Will get ordering an adaptor...

Hope the raw files are compatible with Lightroom. I had to update my older version of Lightroom when I bought my 5D3!

Last edited:
So the total cost is around £500 including everything yes? Amazon, tenso, customs etc all amounts to roughly £500.

Back