Canon EOS RP vs 7D MK II

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
A long story but which would you prefer for bird photography and why?

Hi, well I moved from Canon 7d mkii to Sony as found over 800 iso the noise from the 7d mkii was imo was quite bad don't no about any other Canon options.

I much prefer FF to crop, the difference is literally night and day. I miss the crop factor in some cases but nothing else about it at all.

7Dmkii, 20 mp on a crop sensor, known for being noisy if not exposed properly.

RP, 26.2 mp on FF, should have inheritantly better light gathering capabilites and a bit more cropability on what should be clener files if properly exposed.

I think the RP has the same or similar sensor to the 6Dii, which got a lot of flack to begin with due to it's 'limited' dyanamic range. It seemed to be poor (in comparison) to other cameras at lower ISOs. Again though, it's down to good exposure technique and I would imagine a properly exposed file off an RP would be cleaner than one off a 7Dii.

If you can consider the Canon R6 as it’s auto focus is really good far better than the Rp or 7d2. The RP isn’t really set up for bird togging.

I agree with what`s been said about full frame being cleaner and a good deal better than crop sensors generally . But in my opinion you have to be that much closer , once you start cropping the full frame starts to lose advantages I would think , I got a 7Dmkll 2nd hand last year I think it was , and I am very impressed with it , as birds are your subject I would go with the 7D mkll , you are seldom ever close enough and will likely still end up cropping even on a crop sensor body . You can see a world of difference from full frame but you gotta get close enough , and of course they do have an advantage of better hi iso performance , but I think the 7Dmkll is o.k up to iso 1600 , and find the Af is excellent for a Camera of it`s time .

Back