Canon Fd lens

W

WOODY

PLEASE CAN ANYBODY ADVISE ME ON THE MOST SUITABLE lens TO USE ON MY CANON A1 ,, FOR PORTRAIT , MAINLY BUT ALSO FOR GENERAL USE , WITHOUT HAVING TO USE STANDARD 50mm lens. THANK YOU

Have a look at the FD range here.....

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/

The 80mm 1.2 is generally considered a 'portrait' lens as it gives a reasonable working distance from your subject and the large aperture is great for throwing backgrounds out of focus. It was an expensive lens in it's day but ebay sometimes produces a bargain.

With 35 mm you can probably go as long as 135mm for portraits and the increased working distance from your subjects is less intimidating than having the camera shoved right in their face at close quarters, so it's a case of which you find works best for you. You don't want to go longer than that though as the tele effect compresses features and gives an unnatural appearance.

Many FD lenses can now be picked up for peanuts on ebay, but the better ones will always fetch a little more.

THANKS CT I WAS THINKING OF A CANON 35-105 mm lens AS AN ALL ROUND lens AS I DON'T WANT ANYTHING TO HEAVY AS ONLY USE OF ONE ARM , WHAT ARE VIEWS ON THIS lens THANKS

Woody,

great to have you here, but please tun off the 'Caps Lock' as it is read as 'SHOUTING ' at peeps:thumb: , lol

as for the 35-105 it will be a good lens, however ' prime ' lenses can give better results, as they generaly have better optics inside,

MyPix

Woody only has one arm so I think we can forgive him the caps lock. ;)

35 to 105 will be a good general purpose lens and cover the portrait range you're looking for.

CT said:
Woody only has one arm so I think we can forgive him the caps lock. ;)

35 to 105 will be a good general purpose lens and cover the portrait range you're looking for.

i suppose so, lol ( foot in mouth )

with this in mind.....how the hell do you manage to focus ??
is it all set up on a tripod ?

and is there any reason why you dont turn to a slightly more modern AF setup

i used to have a Canon AT1, perfectly fine camera, but was made in the early eighties , something like a 1000FN or an EOS650 would turn circles round the A1 , and possibly be easier to handle ,

MyPix:)

thanks again for your help sorry about the caps lock, but computer is set up for disabled as my wife has ms, so when i use it i sometimes forget to change the functions. if anyone is selling a 35-105 canon lens please let me know. thank you

Back