Canon lens advice

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Well i thought id start a new post to follow on from the camera thread.
I've decided on the Canon 77d as my step into photography i know it may not be everyone's choice but it ticks the boxes (hopefully) for me..
Anyway down to lens's or should that be glass?? ive been looking at a Canon EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS UMS lens. Is this anygood as a first lens. If not what suggests have you got please. ĺ May buy a second fix lens in next month or so but i need something to started with...

The conventional spelling is lens without the e.

The cameras often come with a 18-55 kit lens, but the 18-135 offers a longer range than this, making it slightly more versatile and would accompany a 70-300 lens nicely with a little bit of overlap. Someones third lens is usually either an ultra-wide such as a 10-20mm or a fast prime which allows them to explore the creative side of narrow depth of field and low light photography.

As you develop as a photographer and decide where your particular interests lie, then your starter lenses may well make way for better (and usually more expensive) versions which are more suitable for the photography you enjoy.

The conventional spelling is lens without the e.

The cameras often come with a 18-55 kit lens, but the 18-135 offers a longer range than this, making it slightly more versatile and would accompany a 70-300 lens nicely with a little bit of overlap. Someones third lens is usually either an ultra-wide such as a 10-20mm or a fast prime which allows them to explore the creative side of narrow depth of field and low light photography.

As you develop as a photographer and decide where your particular interests lie, then your starter lenses may well make way for better (and usually more expensive) versions which are more suitable for the photography you enjoy.

Im buying a second hand body so no kit lens. still trying to work out what all the numbers and letters mean...

A 77D will accept EF and EF-S lenses
A full frame camera such as a 5D or 6D will accept EF lenses only.
IS = Image Stabilisation to counter camera shake
USM = ultrasonic motor - quiet, fast motor.
f/3.5 = widest aperture at shortest range 18mm
f/5.6 = widest aperture at longest range 135mm

A 77D will accept EF and EF-S lenses
A full frame camera such as a 5D or 6D will accept EF lenses only.
IS = Image Stabilisation to counter camera shake
USM = ultrasonic motor - quiet, fast motor.
f/3.5 = widest aperture at shortest range 18mm
f/5.6 = widest aperture at longest range 135mm
thank for replying I've spent last few hours watching YouTube videos trying to get my head around settings and abbreviations on camera and lens.

What do you want to photograph?

I wanted the 18-135mm whenI first got my 77d, but if I had i am 100% sure I would not use it at all now!

To answer your initial question my experience is that the 18-135 is a great lens for anything well lit. In low light it will likely be disappointing so the usual next lens addressing that is to think about is the 50mm f1.8 which lets in lots of light and is very reasonably priced.

What do you want to photograph?

I wanted the 18-135mm whenI first got my 77d, but if I had i am 100% sure I would not use it at all now!
A bit of everything to start with family, pets lanscape, holidays etc. then see what clicks excuse the pun..
I trying to get a reasonable alrounder to start with i know ill end up getting more lens but its trying to get started somewhere..
What les are you using on your 77d???

The 18-135 is a flexible lens, so a good starting point. The more you use the camera, the better an idea you will get of what you want from your next lens, and there is always a "next lens".

For example, if you find that you are always at maximum zoom (135mm) and things are still looking too small in the frame you will want a longer lens. Or if you aren't able to get enough light into the camera you will want a lens with a wider aperture, known as a fast lens, such as a 50mm prime (fixed focal length).

To answer your initial question my experience is that the 18-135 is a great lens for anything well lit. In low light it will likely be disappointing so the usual next lens addressing that is to think about is the 50mm f1.8 which lets in lots of light and is very reasonably priced.
That was the second lens i was looking at getting.. A lot of people seem to have one and use it so it was already a bit of a given that id get one as the second lens.

A bit of everything to start with family, pets lanscape, holidays etc. then see what clicks excuse the pun..
I trying to get a reasonable alrounder to start with i know ill end up getting more lens but its trying to get started somewhere..
What les are you using on your 77d???

I got the 18-55 kit lens with the camera, then I bought a 50mm f1.8 because i was asked to shoot in a low light situation where I could not use lights or flash. Then I felt like I needed a zoom for a bit more flexibility, so then bought a sigma 18-50 f2.8. At an event I borrowed a 16-35 f2.8 L ii lens and the pic quality went through the roof. I was completely amazed! There was not a lot wrong with the sigma and clients were happy, but the L lenses are another level.

Since then I have upgraded the body to the EOS R and added a 24-70 F2.8 L ii and a 70-200 f2.8 L ii. The 77d is my backup and sometimes second camera. I am currently half way through a 3 day shoot and have both cameras hanging off me all day. These are the only two lenses I use on both camera bodies.

The sigma, kit lens sit in the bag and not really used. Mainly because they are for crop sensor cameras and will work on the R but only at a reduced resolution. If I could rewind time I would only have ever bought full frame L lenses, just so they were future proofed against a body upgrade. Downside is more expensive and heavier.

T

As a starter lens the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 is great. Other good lenses are the Canon 10-18 STM and the Canon 55-250 IS and the Canon 15-85mm. STM lenses are better for video AF.

Last edited:
I got the 18-55 kit lens with the camera, then I bought a 50mm f1.8 because i was asked to shoot in a low light situation where I could not use lights or flash. Then I felt like I needed a zoom for a bit more flexibility, so then bought a sigma 18-50 f2.8. At an event I borrowed a 16-35 f2.8 L ii lens and the pic quality went through the roof. I was completely amazed! There was not a lot wrong with the sigma and clients were happy, but the L lenses are another level.

Since then I have upgraded the body to the EOS R and added a 24-70 F2.8 L ii and a 70-200 f2.8 L ii. The 77d is my backup and sometimes second camera. I am currently half way through a 3 day shoot and have both cameras hanging off me all day. These are the only two lenses I use on both camera bodies.

The sigma, kit lens sit in the bag and not really used. Mainly because they are for crop sensor cameras and will work on the R but only at a reduced resolution. If I could rewind time I would only have ever bought full frame L lenses, just so they were future proofed against a body upgrade. Downside is more expensive and heavier.

T
Had a look at the L series but way out of my budget. If your doing paid work fair play but mine will just be pleasure and family stuff..

As a starter the 18-135 will do you fine, I would have bought one if it had been available when I bought my first DSLR.
Yes Canon L lenses are expensive but once you've used one there is no going back.
I would never recommend them a beginner until they've gained some experience.
I knew that I wanted to get into wildlife photography but I ended up wasting money on three cheaper consumer lenses before realising that L glass would be a worthy investment.
On a meet up from here, another member let my try out his Canon 70-200L IS and when I got home and loaded my photos onto my PC, oh boy I was blown away with the image quality.
Get yourself a 18-135, get out there and have some fun with your 77D.
When you think you've got the best you can from the lens, if funds allow then think about upgrading the lens.

As a starter the 18-135 will do you fine, I would have bought one if it had been available when I bought my first DSLR.
Yes Canon L lenses are expensive but once you've used one there is no going back.
I would never recommend them a beginner until they've gained some experience.
I knew that I wanted to get into wildlife photography but I ended up wasting money on three cheaper consumer lenses before realising that L glass would be a worthy investment.
On a meet up from here, another member let my try out his Canon 70-200L IS and when I got home and loaded my photos onto my PC, oh boy I was blown away with the image quality.
Get yourself a 18-135, get out there and have some fun with your 77D.
When you think you've got the best you can from the lens, if funds allow then think about upgrading the lens.
Thanks and I'll take note of that for the next lens i buy because its not just buying the camera and lens. its all the little add ons that go with it as well. memory cards, extra battery, bag, flash tripod etc etc.
Expensive just to set up as a beginner..

Thanks and I'll take note of that for the next lens i buy because its not just buying the camera and lens. its all the little add ons that go with it as well. memory cards, extra battery, bag, flash tripod etc etc.
Expensive just to set up as a beginner..
Don’t buy stuff you might not need.

Why do you need flash and a tripod? My tripod is about 15 years old; in that time I’ve used it about 6 times (and about 10 times as a light stand). Flash can be even less useful for many.

Many also spend fortunes on filters, many of which there’s no need for.

Buy s/h lenses and get used to the fact you’ll upgrade, but you’ll not lose fortunes. The worst thing you can do is ‘research’ others opinions and buy new kit based on them.

Don’t buy stuff you might not need.

Why do you need flash and a tripod? My tripod is about 15 years old; in that time I’ve used it about 6 times (and about 10 times as a light stand). Flash can be even less useful for many.

Many also spend fortunes on filters, many of which there’s no need for.

Buy s/h lenses and get used to the fact you’ll upgrade, but you’ll not lose fortunes. The worst thing you can do is ‘research’ others opinions and buy new kit based on them.
i am buying second hand body and lens to keep costs down. Asking for advice about camera and lens as other than phone pictures i know bugger all..
Time lapse has always fascinated me also the pictures of long exposure water falls is something id like to try which a tripod would be needed for. Flash was just used as a example of extra kit.

Back