Canon PIXMA Pro 100S Printer or 10S

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Currently have the Canon MG5250

Any difference between the 10S and 100S?

Which printer would you choose?

Currently have the Canon MG5250

Any difference between the 10S and 100S?

Which printer would you choose?

The 100S should in principle be a bit better on glossy papers with its dye inks - the 10S should be a bit better on matte with its pigment ink.

The 10S uses chrome-optimiser as one of its 10 cartridges. If enabled this adds a clear coat over the print and is needed on glossy and lustre papers.

It's also worth being aware of just how much space you need for these printers within a home environment.

They are physically larger than a MG5250 when closed up. Open up the rear paper feed and front tray and they require substantial desk space in front and behind.

The 100S doesn't offer neutral b&w prints.

This was an unpleasant surprise for me personally as I shoot exclusively B&W film.

I used to own a Pixma 9000 MK1 which although only had one black ink cartridge, would if set up correctly print true neutral monochrome images even though it could take twenty minutes for the one cartridge to throw out an A3 sized print.

A number of years later, took the plunge on the 100s only to be horrified that even in so called monochrome setting, taints are still visible.
Communication with Canon to rectify the problem ended with an explanation that the 100s does not offer the same neutral b&w printing that the 9000 did even though the more modern printer houses several black / grey cartridges.

As it is, after a lot of test prints, I've got the results as near to a true monochrome that I reckon I will ever get with this printer.
For me I can live with it although I will be very cautious with any further purchases of printers regardless of make.

Hmm Never really thought about printing monochrome / black and white prints, but may do at some point.

I've been edging towards the 10S even though it's more expensive.

I'm not in a rush in buying one. I'll give it more thought when it's time to buy one.

Hmm Never really thought about printing monochrome / black and white prints, but may do at some point.

I've been edging towards the 10S even though it's more expensive.

I'm not in a rush in buying one. I'll give it more thought when it's time to buy one.

Maybe take a look at other brands like Epson to see how they compare although I suspect that you have already done that?!

Alternatively see if you can find someone nearby with the printer that you are considering who will allow you to print a photograph or several.
A bit of a long shot I know but try before you buy is always a good idea if at all possible.

Had I have had the opportunity, I wouldn’t have the 100s on my desk!

Just to add, the 100s in its own right as a printer is excellent and produces excellent results.

Yes it takes up some space and is heavy but otherwise it is a top piece of kit.

My whining relates purely to the neutral monochrome issue..... if that is no big deal for you then the 100s is imo definitely a worthwhile contender as an apparatus that will give high quality results [emoji6]

I'm looking printers for something for the future much after I find a job. I'm looking into selling photo prints.

I have a very local printer that is better priced than such places like vistaprint and a printer that I used once for an A3 & A4 print, so may go with them.

Thanks for your input Asha

Back