Canon remote release

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking it's time I stopped using the self timer and bought myself a remote shutter release for my 20D
The basic canon item seems to be around £40 in the shops, with the fancy all singing all dancing one a cool tonne!!! :shock: !!!

A quick squirt on ebay revealed a cheaper option again made by a company claiming 100% functional compatablity right down to the 2 stage shutter release.

Buy it no prices showed the compat item at a tenner, with the canon item at 24 quid

Has anyone used the basic shutter release for the 20D, is it worth the extra compared to the compat?

It’s the same on the 10D and 20D so when I changed cameras I was able to use the same remote shutter release. Its fine for what it does and is reasonably well made. It also allows you to lock open the shutter for any amount of time although the timing and release will have to be done manually.

The aftermarket product I have heard works equally well but it was only brought to my attention after I had already bought the Canon version.

I know that Matt has the full remote version which is wireless and has extra functions built in, again I believe he is totally happy with that but it all depends on your photography needs, Matt does a lot of wildlife photography where it is an advantage for him to set up and then retreat away from his camera while still being able to operate its shutter.

In the end I guess its all about cost verses needs for you personally.

Fairly certain CT said he was bought the 99 quid one as a gift, has the timed exposure stuff on it and also can take up to 100 pics at intervals, but am sure he can say better than me ! :) Im looking into this as well ! lol

IanC_UK said:
Fairly certain CT said he was bought the 99 quid one as a gift, has the timed exposure stuff on it and also can take up to 100 pics at intervals, but am sure he can say better than me ! :) Im looking into this as well ! lol

And the wireless transmitter as well after your firmware nightmare upgrade experiance yesterday?? :wink:

IanC_UK said:
LOL nah thats forgotten now ! camera works ! lol

The 99 quid one isnt wireless though !

Wireless one is about 400 quid !

Sorry, my mistake. Matt definately has the wireless one though :shock:

Just a comment about the Chinese 'Adit' accessories on ebay. I purchased a clone of the Nikon remote for £10, seems excellent and the shutter button is extremely responsive with a good feel between the two stages. Purchased mine from a German distributor and delivery was 2 days.

cheers,
Andy

Pink Fairy said:
Just a comment about the Chinese 'Adit' accessories on ebay. I purchased a clone of the Nikon remote for £10, seems excellent and the shutter button is extremely responsive with a good feel between the two stages. Purchased mine from a German distributor and delivery was 2 days.

cheers,
Andy

I believe that to be the same thing but offered with different compatibility to match the Canon instead of the Nikon. You are not the first to say that they are totally happy with it and if I were in a position where I had to buy again I would certainly give one a try.

Thanks for the replies guys,
The timed one would be overkill for me, so it's a simple click and go one i'm after.

It was the Adit branded unit i'd seen on ebay for a tenner, BUT i've never bought or sold on ebay before :eek:ops: so i'm unsure of the payment side of things. As soon as i've worked that out i'll chance one now, especially after Andy's comment on the 2 stage release as thats just about the most important aspect of it.

digitalfailure said:
Thanks for the replies guys,
The timed one would be overkill for me, so it's a simple click and go one i'm after.

It was the Adit branded unit i'd seen on ebay for a tenner, BUT i've never bought or sold on ebay before :eek:ops: so i'm unsure of the payment side of things. As soon as i've worked that out i'll chance one now, especially after Andy's comment on the 2 stage release as thats just about the most important aspect of it.

Yep, I see the Canon ones going for good low prices but like I say, try to get from a european distributor otherwise you could have a long wait. I'd suggest getting a Paypal account, it's all quite painless and it quite a handy way of purchasing on ebay (not so much fun for the seller) or making payments to people in other countries... you're well protected in case of any nastiness (which is rare on ebay if you take sensible precautions).

cheers,
Andy

do you know if exists a WIFI transmitter for CANON EODS 20D ?

actually the only one i know cost > 500$ .. they can keep it !!!

A quick update on this

I've managed to get an order in for one of the adidt compatable items from ebay, and it didn't involve setting up an account either......cheers EosD :)

I'll report back with findings as soon as it lands.

digitalfailure said:
A quick update on this

I've managed to get an order in for one of the adidt compatable items from ebay, and it didn't involve setting up an account either......cheers EosD :)

I'll report back with findings as soon as it lands.

Pleasure was mine!

Back