Canon USm or Sigma APO macro....

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Im split, canon 70 - 300mm USm or Sigma Super macro APO 2 thing, canon is £120 and sigma is £140, no macro on canon but no USM on sigma....Opinions?

IMO go for the Sigma. The Canon 75-300 has no advantages unless you get the IS version which is a lot more expensive (but recommended :wink: )

The Canon USM is NOT a ring USM, so you don't have full-time manual focusing. ie. You can't rotate the focusing ring while in AF mode without breaking something.

If you want a lens specifically for macro work, go for a macro prime.
Then you need to decide on what focal length you would use most.

I'm looking at getting a 180mm macro, as bugs tend to disappear when I approach with the 90mm.

Using that old addage 'Try before you buy'.

I have the Sigma and used a friends' Canon for a few weeks, of the two the Sigma is quicker focusing though noisier but it's noticably sharper too which makes all the difference. Neither lens is all that fast light-wise so you need to give them the best chance of working for you, i.e. use a tripod or support when ever possible unless it's very bright.

Both lenses give good results, imo the Sigma gives better and has more functionality so it's well worth the £20 extra.

thanks huys, i really want to get a good zoom before the weather picks up, the kit lens is ok if your 3 feet away, but after using the 10x of the S5000 ive been missing that a lot!

My money is on the Sigma tbh, even though I own the 75-300 IS.

I'm seriously wanting a lens with true Macro ability so i'm going to go with a dedicated lens at a latter date.

The optics in the canon lens your considering are the same as in the IS verison iirc, and i've found the images to soften at lengths above 200mm :(

Longer than 200mm and you'll notice similar and a degree of camera shake i think unless your well supported which is where the IS really comes into it's own.

in time i'll be moving away from the 75-300 in favour of either a 100-400 L or the 70-200 f 2.8 L IS

The USM motor on the canon as mentioned isn't the preffered ring type and in lowish light it tends to hunt round a bit.

Might I suggest you meet with Digital S.P.G one day and ask if you my try his sigma out?

Also, before you commit to paying for a lens, my local shop allows me to try the product. I would suggest you take several shots of the same subject at different focal lengths, on both lenses and then print or compare both.

Yeah a meet up with the SPG is a good idea, he has that lens after all!

I could try during one week the canon 100mm macro ... and I finally bought the 180mm macro usm ... it is just GREAT .. i love it

seberri said:
I could try during one week the canon 100mm macro ... and I finally bought the 180mm macro usm ... it is just GREAT .. i love it
Nice, don't forget to post some shots in gallery :)

Back