(Captive) Birds of Prey Workshop

Looks like the workshop I'm booked on next month ... I see you were using the 200-500 at the 500mm end, did the location require 500mm or was it just your personal choice. I was planning on taking the 24-120 f4 and 300 f4 PF?

Am I the only one to see 4 of the same shot?
I see two different images :)

I see 2 different shots as well! Nice ones at that! Nicely hidden or cloned out jesses.

Roger, when I did a photography day at the Gloucester Barn Owl Trust place with Yv many years ago, I used everything from 12mm up to 300. My favourite shot of the day was at the widest end (of an eagle owl on my fist!) IIRC, the long end got relatively little use. IIRC I was using a crop body at the time.

BarnOwls062 by gpn63, on Flickr

Roger, when I did a photography day at the Gloucester Barn Owl Trust place with Yv many years ago, I used everything from 12mm up to 300. My favourite shot of the day was at the widest end (of an eagle owl on my fist!) IIRC, the long end got relatively little use. IIRC I was using a crop body at the time.

Thanks Nod, yes my last visit there was with a 70-200 f2.8 and I think 300 f4 which worked well :)

Like those, especially the back ground of the first picture.
Bought the wife a hawking experience session fpr her birthday, thought I`d get some pics as well:). They use Harris hawks and an European eagle owl, just waiting for some decent weather - this year hopefully- to arrange the day. Quite surprised you were using 500mm, but I guess will be a bit closer with the experience day versus a workshop.

Both shots are stunning but #1 is by far my favorite. the composition and colours work really well!

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Looks like the workshop I'm booked on next month ... I see you were using the 200-500 at the 500mm end, did the location require 500mm or was it just your personal choice. I was planning on taking the 24-120 f4 and 300 f4 PF?

It was from Alan Hewitt's Workshops:
http://alanhewittphotography.co.uk/birds-of-prey-photography-workshops/

The locations didn't require 500mm, but I do prefer the DOF at 500mm. My daughter was using a 70-200 f4 and other people tried lots of different focal lengths, I think it just depends on what you're looking to try and get.

Like those, especially the back ground of the first picture.
Bought the wife a hawking experience session fpr her birthday, thought I`d get some pics as well:). They use Harris hawks and an European eagle owl, just waiting for some decent weather - this year hopefully- to arrange the day. Quite surprised you were using 500mm, but I guess will be a bit closer with the experience day versus a workshop.

We could get as close as we wanted to the birds, I just chose to shoot at 500mm for the DOF. :)

Both shots are stunning but #1 is by far my favorite. the composition and colours work really well!

I like it due to the compilmentary colours between the blue water and the orange in the owl.

Cheers

Simon

Last edited:
These are great, you wouldn't know they weren't wild.

Back