Capture a stranger street style : Part 2

what length sense do people usually use for these shots - do the "models" know they are being photographed?
It depends really. There are a number of techniques you can use to take stealthy photos and people might wonder whether you took their photo or not but 99.9% will shrug it off. The other technique is to just openly take the shot, give them a smile and say thanks. If they want you to explain what you are doing then you can. I prefer the stealthy methods myself because it prevents people from reacting to the camera.

1. Pretend you're taking a shot of something else near to the subject and pretend to take it whilst looking through the viewfinder, then move your camera down as though you're reviewing the shot, compose the actual shot on the rear screen and hit the shutter

2. If the person is going to be walking past, lift your camera to your eye just as they walk past. Any earlier and they are likely to avoid walking into shot. Then take the shot but maintain your position, keep holding the camera to your eye and wait til they walk completely past. They might look back but will assume you were aiming to capture something else.

3. Shoot from the hip. This is much more difficult to compose a good shot but is not without merit. This is much easier if you're close and using a wide lens (28-35mm)

4. Pretend to take a panorama, and take your shot at the end of the sweep.

If you want to be stealthy, these are all good methods. A quiet camera also helps. And don't make eye contact or look directly at your subject before or after the shot. Try to spot subjects from a long way off, you can then observe them using your peripheral vision and it gives you time to think about the best way to setup the shot.

great reply Matt - thanks for giving so much detail - that's massively helpful - cheers
No problem. Also, try to avoid long lenses. I recommend 28-35mm. With a long lens you look a bit creepy, and because of the narrow angle of view you have to point it directly at your subject. With a wide angle you might have to get close but you can frame people in the shot without the lens really pointing at them. Also using a compact camera makes you less conspicuous and look like a harmless tourist. Check out the documentaries on Gary Winogrand and Daido Moriyama on YouTube. Both masters of stealth. Winogrand is an expert at looking like he is just fiddling around with his camera rather than taking a blatant shot of someone. Then check out some Bruce Gilden videos haha he is about as blatant as you can get - camera and flash shoved straight into the face!

Couple from a Roller Derby game I went to recently. Both shot from the hip and no crop. Minimal processing with VSCO presets to look like Portra.

mm-1.jpg

mm-2.jpg

The following photos I took whilst I was drunk. nothing too exciting... but i'm much more social when I'm drunk, and I found everyone is quite amenable to having their photo taken.

You should be drunk more often Dan, great shots here!

Took this one in Marks & Sparks. I've developed a thing for taking pics of the boys hanging out outside the fitting rooms miserably waiting for the missus. The guy on the left clearly clocked me, even though I was shooting from the hip. I did see one of the next guys give up his seat for an old lady with a stick, which was nice. Good to know humanity still exists in some people :)

mm-1_1.jpg

[emoji1]

Last edited:
Back