=Capture a stranger street style=

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me your photos are more like snapshots. They don't really tell a story and its not about sticking a camera in someones face. Its about, as you say, telling a story. People standing around in doorways, walking down the street, milling around in the corner of the frame don't tell stories.

I've got to agree with this. I'm a mere amateur, so perhaps my opinion counts as I am still capable of looking in from an outsiders point of view and not as a fellow togger. Many of the pictures posted in this thread just seem like random clicks that could've been taken by anyone. There seems to be no 'eye' behind any of the shots.

IMGP8868.jpg

IMGP8869.jpg

oldtown46.jpg

oldtown9.jpg

oldtown24.jpg

oldtown8.jpg

The really positive thing I can say is that you don't give up.
That's great, your still posting and still putting yourself up for criticism.
It's not an attitude or a characteristic that everyone has so well done :clap:

I'm still seeing snapshots though. Keep at it (y)

Perhaps and your opinion is noted and while you may not like the images I take, there is bound to be one or two people who do. Me being one of them, I need only to find one more :)

Ok then. Lets try it this way. You say you get street and that you know its not about snapshots.

''My definition'' of Street photography is not simply a ''snap shot'' but it is photograph. It is well framed, well composed and tells a story. It will contain a stranger or a candid image of a person.

oldtown9.jpg

Explain why that shot isn't a snapshot. Whats the story?

You can spend your time searching forums for people to enjoy your photos or you could listen to the people in this thread and take better photos. I'm just not seeing well framed, well composed photos. Thats all to do with your eye. Ignore the story aspect. Composure is how you see things and right now what you're showing me is that you see things in a snapshot way rather than a photographers way. That can be worked on with help from people here.

The really positive thing I can say is that you don't give up.
That's great, your still posting and still putting yourself up for criticism.
It's not an attitude or a characteristic that everyone has so well done :clap:

I'm still seeing snapshots though. Keep at it (y)

Thanks. I will be going out this week to see what I can capture. I will be taking two lenses with me. My 28 F/2.8 and 55 F/1.2 and see what I come up with.

Ooookay. Well thats over the forum size limit. Its also a little out of focus.

Perhaps and your opinion is noted and while you may not like the images I take, there is bound to be one or two people who do. Me being one of them, I need only to find one more :)

I'm not knocking you mate, if you like the pictures you take, then who cares what anyone else thinks?

That being said, you did post them, so you must want some form of critique.

My critique is that it's just people doing normal things, and that isn't very interesting. Like the two women in the book shop; where's the story? The composition of the images do not lead me into the main area of interest, and since I cannot find it, I settle on the most obvious thing, which is the women. But then I find them just standing/sitting around and my eye wanders again. I find I'm looking at something my eyes just skip around, nothing hooks me.

I am in no way pimping my own work here, and am in no way saying I am better than you, I am an absolute amateur, and your pictures are far clearer than mine, but here is one I took recently:

veqjnn.jpg

Facebook resized it and I couldn't find the original, so it's a bit messed up.

But I quite like this shot, because my eye immediately picks up the steel drum, then circles clockwise, taking in the rest fo the image before settling on the mans eyes. Then the story is told. It's a geezer banging some drums and enjoying a smoke in the middle of the street.

Not saying I'm the king of street photography, but I think a street image needs a clear sense of purpose, there has to be a subject, and that subject has to be dynamic and eventful. Otherwise you end up with a 'snapshot'.

And anyone is free to rip that picture to pieces and tell me I'm useless, I welcome the chance to learn.

Edit: Wow, it's not until you take an image off facebook and post it somewhere else that you realise how much it messes it up when you upload it. Does anyone have any tips for retaining full image integrity when uploading to facebook?

Last edited:
Edit: Wow, it's not until you take an image off facebook and post it somewhere else that you realise how much it messes it up when you upload it. Does anyone have any tips for retaining full image integrity when uploading to facebook?

Personally I wouldn't upload anything to Facebook as it gives them complete rights to do as they please with your image I believe.

Last edited:
As it does with Flickr technically speaking but its not going to happen.

Personally I wouldn't upload anything to Facebook as it gives them complete rights to be as they please with your image I believe.

They're welcome to do what they want with my crap in it's current state. But that's something to bear in mind when I get good.

Thanks. I will be going out this week to see what I can capture. I will be taking two lenses with me. My 28 F/2.8 and 55 F/1.2 and see what I come up with.

Good call, all the best with the trip. (y)

After a long night of Party, party, party.
strangers1-3.jpg

This is the best image I have seen from you yet, the framing is off (near amputated toes :p) and it could do with a bit of contrast or curves adjustments etc but never the less it's much better. (y)

Last edited:
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp128/jgredline/Strangers/0922.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Do you know what :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: for keep posting. If that last one had been in focus more it would have been good. I havnt read the whole thread but I think you just need to think outside the box a little, which you did with that shot.

EDIT: I mean the ones thats linked

Last edited:
Do you know what :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: for keep posting. If that last one had been in focus more it would have been good. I havnt read the whole thread but I think you just need to think outside the box a little, which you did with that shot.

EDIT: I mean the ones thats linked

Thank you. I really don't mind the critique. Some I agree with and some I don't, but it is all good. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while, so I need to keep looking for mine. Street shooting is very new to me. I am really geared up for shooting wildlife as it is my most favorite thing, but this street stuff is by far and away the most difficult...

Biggest problem with street shooting is that there are many different opinions in what is right or wrong.

Biggest problem with street shooting is that there are many different opinions in what is right or wrong.

It can be but I think most people in this thread agreed with your initial take on what street is but just didn't see what you said it was matching up with the photos you took. You didn't answer my question earlier either :)

These 3 new shots are much better. There is a story in them. Something happens. Not overly keen on the processing but it looks like film in some respects. If its film then fine :)

These 3 new shots are much better. There is a story in them. Something happens. Not overly keen on the processing but it looks like film in some respects. If its film then fine :)

Making head way is good. Yes, those are film shots. BW400CN shot with ME SUPER. As far as PP goes, i really don't do much to them. If you could be so kind as to tweak on one or two so I can see what it should look like, I would really appreciate it. It would be a great help when converting digital.
thanks a bunch

From a trip to a local park.
This one I shot from about 10 feet and shot it candidly.
4095.jpg

This one I asked them If I could shoot them as they where a lovely couple. She blushed, but
they where happy to do so. Infact I ended up shooting some great shots of them which I emailed
to them as well.
4096.jpg

4092.jpg

Last edited:
The colour one in post #105 made me come into this thread. I love it. It may, to some, look like a snapshot but I see a happy family on their way to who knows where. (football/soccer?) I wonder if they were as happy after the game?

I also admire your dogged determination to nail the art of street photography. I think you said earlier, some people would like your pictures. Well, here's one who does, especially these last few.

Well done and don't give up.

The colour one in post #105 made me come into this thread. I love it. It may, to some, look like a snapshot but I see a happy family on their way to who knows where. (football/soccer?) I wonder if they were as happy after the game?
Yes, the Mexican soccer team was in town that weekend so I drove to ELA to get some some pictures. Thank you.
I also admire your dogged determination to nail the art of street photography.
Thank you. I am a glutton for punishment. :)

I think you said earlier, some people would like your pictures. Well, here's one who does, especially these last few.

Well done and don't give up.
Thank you very much! This really means allot to me. Perhaps through some of my snap shots, some folks will get to see another small part of the world from my side of the pond.

Speaking of snap shots, I was thinking the other day. I post in three forums. I have been a long time member of the other two, with this very cool forum being the third. I really like the differences there is with in all three. But there is one thing they all have in common. A few people like to toss the ''snap shot'' label around as if it where a bad thing. So what if the majority of us shoot ''snap shots.'' The bad part is that I too have been guilty of using the ''snap shot'' label and for that I am sorry. But the truth is, my Snap shots make ''me'' happy and make taking pictures enjoyable. As I looked through the other three threads of street shooting, I saw many images that would be considered snap shops and some very similar to mine that are considered snap shots, yet they did very well in those forums.. I believe there are many folks who take snap shots who don't post them up for fear of being trashed.

Now, in fairness, this forum is a step up from many, many forums. I don't mind the critique, so long as it comes with the a solution. Advice, idea..This forum does an excellent job at that. The other two I post in are the same way, but the majority out there are not, so I say Bravo to ''Talk Photography''

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words and encouragement.

I'm loving this thread and I am glad I found it!!

3149542362_6b6b1588d2.jpg

3168573796_c17568b504.jpg

2297403589_66c4727cf8.jpg

And some old ones:

2195550453_341fe5a506.jpg

2196338804_18d74d1561.jpg

2213471334_0b65856e3e.jpg

Not sure if this qualifies as street photography, as I wasn't on a street, I was on a hill. But there's people in it, and I didn't ask for their permission. So I half qualify, surely?

2d8nrq9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back