Capture One Express, or ON1 help needed quickly please! Update on DXO

Name
Marcia
Edit My Images
No
I hope someone can help me, as the cheap offer that ON1 finishes today.
Up until recently I’ve been happily using DXO PL3, and I especially like the prime Denoise function. I have a Sony RX10 MK 4 , and although I love the camera, noise can be a problem at higher ISO’s with the smaller sensor. PL3 pretty much solved the problem for me!
However, since the latest update to PL3, I have been unable to export the photo I’ve finished post processing, so quite a problem! I contacted their support team, and initially they were very helpful, but having provided them with various hidden info involving delving into bits of software I know nothing about, and sending them the results, all went quiet for 10 days, until this morning, when I had an email thanking me for my patience, and informing me that their development team were working very hard on what was proving to be an exceptionally difficult problem.
So I have unprocessed images sitting on my laptop waiting for DXO to provide a solution. As you can imagine having paid a lot for the software I’m very unhappy, but apparently once you have used the software you can’t have a refund in spite of a problem they can’t solve.
Anyway, I have just downloaded Capture One Express for Sony, and a trial of ON1 to compare the two, but of course I won’t be able to give them a full work out by the time the ON1 offer expires.
So I was looking for some advice from someone who has tried both, in particular their noise reduction properties. I know it’s a lot to ask in a short space of time, but if anyone can help, I would be very grateful
Many thanks all

Are you saying that PL3 though an earlier version worked fine?

If so, why not uninstall the current version and re-install the (slightly) earlier one.

On my phone now so cannot cross-check whether earlier releases are still downloadable. But (subject to checking) because hard drive space is not an issue I keep older version downloads for just such a situation i.e. being able to 'rollback' ~ rarely happens with any software but has helped on occasion.

I have tried that and I can’t export with the older version either unfortunately. It was probably nothing to do with the update, but I noticed the problem after I’d updated. Thank you for the suggestion though!

I hope someone can help me, as the cheap offer that ON1 finishes today.

As you haven't got much of a response from anyone who uses both, I'll throw in a suggestion.

You already own DXO, and hopefully they will sort out the problem, Capture One express is free, and ON1 raw has editing tools that neither DXO nor Capture One (even the paid for version) offer. e.g focus stacking, stitching for panoramas, layer blending etc

So if you like ON1 raw, and it’s a good offer, why not go for it, it's probably a good addition to have around. You can use DXO (once its working) to get the prime noise reduction and export as a DNG to work in ON1 for advanced editing.

DXO prime is great for automated noise removal, but I prefer the results from Capture One. Even though they aren't as grain free and detailed as DXO prime results, I just prefer the overall look from C1, but it takes more work than DXO to get good results.

I know nothing about ON1 raw other than the publicity material and watching a couple of videos from people who have found it a useful addition to their LR/PS workflow.

I assume you have tried exporting files using ON1 and C1, and they work OK.

Cheers,

Graham

Thank you for your response Graham. It actually makes very good sense! I suppose I’ve lost hope of getting an answer from DXO after nearly a month down the line. However you’re quite right that they may well solve the problem so I won’t dismiss it just yet.
I really appreciate you taking the trouble to help me out. Thank you
Best wishes, Marcia

@wellyboot

Hi Marcia

Just a heads up, in case you did not know, there is a DxO Community Forum where there may be others who have experienced the same sort of issue?

I really appreciate you taking the trouble to help me out. Thank you

Glad to help. It does sound a rather odd problem not being able to export files, so I would assume DXO will eventually sort it out, unless it’s a peculiarity of your personal set up. And reading a bit more about ON1, it does sound a rather useful all round program, but I am resisting buying a copy :)

@wellyboot

Hi Marcia

Just a heads up, in case you did not know, there is a DxO Community Forum where there may be others who have experienced the same sort of issue?
Unfortunately, that was the first thing I tried when I realised I couldn’t fix it. In the end they suggested I open a ticket with the DXO support team, which is where I am now. I was hopeful about a week later, when someone with exactly my set up, even down to the same laptop, had suddenly experienced exactly what I had. Unfortunately, a few days later, he posted to say he’d tried it again and it worked, although he claims that he had changed nothing. Of course I immediately tried myself, but to no avail. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Glad to help. It does sound a rather odd problem not being able to export files, so I would assume DXO will eventually sort it out, unless it’s a peculiarity of your personal set up. And reading a bit more about ON1, it does sound a rather useful all round program, but I am resisting buying a copy :)
I have actually decided not to rush in and buy anything, even though ON1 is on offer. Finances are very tight, and I’ve decided to keep the faith with DXO, and assume they will indeed be able to sort the problem!
Many thanks to you and everyone who responded to my cry for help. I really do appreciate it

I have actually decided not to rush in and buy anything, even though ON1 is on offer. Finances are very tight, and I’ve decided to keep the faith with DXO, and assume they will indeed be able to sort the problem!

You could still have a go with the free "express" version of C1 to keep you going.

I felt I should update this and let you know what I decided and the final outcome!
As I said above I’d decided not to rush in and buy anything, and I did stick to that!
It’s just as well I did. It was beginning to feel like “Ground Day” with the DXO support team. Depending who got in touch with me I kept being asked to send various files from photos that wouldn’t export (none of them would, which seemed to be getting missed somehow! Anyway I kept sending whatever they asked for, photo files, sidecar files, various files deep in the heart of the software, which I needed step by step instructions for, because I’m not very computer literate. Then a new support team member would take over, and the sending of the same information from me would begin again
Then on Monday, 4 weeks after I couldn’t export or save any post processed photos, A new support member took over, and I was asked for the usually files, but the support person did mention they’d had problems with Avast and DXO recently, and what antiviral software did I use!
Well as it happens I do use Avast, so off I went to investigate. It turns out that Avast had blocked one element from DXO’s repertoire, and once unblocked, I was able to export once more!
I just wish this could have been mentioned weeks ago, especially as Avast is one of the more popular anti virus software packages!
So all’s we’ll that ends well!
But I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and saving me the cost of more software I didn’t needed!
Take care all, and keep safe!
Marcia

Back