Capture One Fuji half price ...

Still mulling this over tbh! Been a LR user for a while now though and wouldn't use both. Can it really replace it?

Still mulling this over tbh! Been a LR user for a while now though and wouldn't use both. Can it really replace it?

TBH I have no idea, Ian. I`ve been using photoshop since CS2 and can`t tear myself away, even though I`ve got Affinity, and Iridient, I still use Photoshop lol

Depends Im no expert in C1 and only been using it for a couple of months but it seems to me the Catalog is better in LR although I a getting use to the catalog features in C1 and using the group and collections a lot more.
Editing wise for me it does replace LR with the added bonus you can use layers. You dont have the map and book sections in C1 but for me I never used them.
It takes some getting use to but there are some nice videos from C1 themselves on youtube.

I've only just bought a Fuji x100f last week. Asked on the forum about which software to use for the raws. I was pointed in the direction of the free Capture one express for Fuji. I found it works great for me. Does all the basic stuff. I would use pshop for anything else.

Seems a good deal though.

Gaz

It depends.

Catalogue in LR is more robust and the C1 catalogue gets very mixed reviews: some find it fine (even with large numbers of pictures) and others find it slow, buggy and unusable. Many (maybe most, long time C1 users) use sessions, rather than catalogues, which manage files at a "project" level. Sessions are not available in the free versions of C1. I currently use sessions, but then catalogue the sessions using Neofinder.

See here for a bit on Sessions https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/catalogs-vs-sessions-epic-battle-times/

As a raw processor/editor, I prefer C1over LR. Its more customisable, seems to have a better range of tools that I find easier to use, and overall I prefer the "look" of C1 processed images. Not by making comparisons using default settings, but by doing my best to "print match" from both programs (and DXO). I haven't done this seriously since a few versions ago (when I did blind comparisons with several people), but I still have a play with LR with each new release and always end up sticking with C1.

I do not consider C1 a replacement for Photoshop (but neither do Phase One), but C1 gives very effective round tripping with Photoshop (or Affinity Photo, but there is a trick to getting it to work with AP). Complex cloning, subtle editing, more sophisticated plugins that really need to work in layers etc still work more smoothly in PS. And on my computer, although C1 is faster than LR, I find it much slower for some editing tasks than PS.

LR has better links with the outside world, e.g uploading to Flikr etc, but release 12 of C1 now has a Plugin SDK and already has some plugins available for it ie to upload directly to the Format web platform. Flikr and Instagram plugins are apparently on their way.

As an aside I did use both LR and C1 for a spell, with LR for cataloguing and C1 for processing (Phase One have a webinar on integrating LR and C1 from many years ago), but I only occasionally open LR now a days.

For many people I think C1 can easily replace Lightroom, with some gains and some losses, but whether you "should" replace LR, is a much more difficult question :)

It depends.

Catalogue in LR is more robust and the C1 catalogue gets very mixed reviews: some find it fine (even with large numbers of pictures) and others find it slow, buggy and unusable. Many (maybe most, long time C1 users) use sessions, rather than catalogues, which manage files at a "project" level. Sessions are not available in the free versions of C1. I currently use sessions, but then catalogue the sessions using Neofinder.

See here for a bit on Sessions https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/catalogs-vs-sessions-epic-battle-times/

As a raw processor/editor, I prefer C1over LR. Its more customisable, seems to have a better range of tools that I find easier to use, and overall I prefer the "look" of C1 processed images. Not by making comparisons using default settings, but by doing my best to "print match" from both programs (and DXO). I haven't done this seriously since a few versions ago (when I did blind comparisons with several people), but I still have a play with LR with each new release and always end up sticking with C1.

I do not consider C1 a replacement for Photoshop (but neither do Phase One), but C1 gives very effective round tripping with Photoshop (or Affinity Photo, but there is a trick to getting it to work with AP). Complex cloning, subtle editing, more sophisticated plugins that really need to work in layers etc still work more smoothly in PS. And on my computer, although C1 is faster than LR, I find it much slower for some editing tasks than PS.

LR has better links with the outside world, e.g uploading to Flikr etc, but release 12 of C1 now has a Plugin SDK and already has some plugins available for it ie to upload directly to the Format web platform. Flikr and Instagram plugins are apparently on their way.

As an aside I did use both LR and C1 for a spell, with LR for cataloguing and C1 for processing (Phase One have a webinar on integrating LR and C1 from many years ago), but I only occasionally open LR now a days.

For many people I think C1 can easily replace Lightroom, with some gains and some losses, but whether you "should" replace LR, is a much more difficult question :)
Thanks for that. I currently subscribe to Adobe CC so have access to both LR and PS, however I really only use PS for content aware fill so really not that important to me.

Think I'll download the 30 day trial and give it a whirl [emoji1360]

Yes, it only adds the "pro" features that are missing from the free fuji only version.
Shame, seems a bit limiting really. I have canon, fuji and Olympus RAWs I'd be surprised if I was the only one with such a mix.

Shame, seems a bit limiting really. I have canon, fuji and Olympus RAWs I'd be surprised if I was the only one with such a mix.

Then, unfortunately, you need to pay for the full version, not the cut price Fuji only version. Capture One has always been an expensive option, and I am assuming that Fuji are subsidising the Fuji version as part of their partnership agreement with Phase One.

Then, unfortunately, you need to pay for the full version, not the cut price Fuji only version. Capture One has always been an expensive option, and I am assuming that Fuji are subsidising the Fuji version as part of their partnership agreement with Phase One.
Yeah I appreciate that, but I'm betting most Fuji shooters haven't always used Fuji, which means running two raw converters.

Thanks for that. I currently subscribe to Adobe CC so have access to both LR and PS, however I really only use PS for content aware fill so really not that important to me.

Think I'll download the 30 day trial and give it a whirl [emoji1360]

Make sure you look at some of the Phase One training videos: maybe starting with this one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfmVV5Cr4eA

You can always go with Affinity Photo for content aware fill, if you are happy with C1 and want to drop the Adobe sub.

Yeah I appreciate that, but I'm betting most Fuji shooters haven't always used Fuji, which means running two raw converters.

Well, but I repeat, only if you don't want to pay the extra for the full version of Capture One, which will then process all your Fuji files, Canon, M43 and pretty well anything else you might have used or are using.

Though you would need to check as, with the exception of Fuji medium format, Capture One only works with their own medium format cameras, their is a bias to supporting "professional/semi-professional" cameras, so not all cameras are supported.

They do however, add other cameras if sufficient requests are made through technical support.

Well, but I repeat, only if you don't want to pay the extra for the full version of Capture One, which will then process all your Fuji files, Canon, M43 and pretty well anything else you might have used or are using.

Though you would need to check as, with the exception of Fuji medium format, Capture One only works with their own medium format cameras, their is a bias to supporting "professional/semi-professional" cameras, so not all cameras are supported.

They do however, add other cameras if sufficient requests are made through technical support.
I bought the Fuji only pro version (before it was half price mind!) and ended up upgrading to the full pro version (there is an upgrade path) so I could use on my 15+ years of Canon raw files and dropped LR / PS in the process, because I liked the raw processing more in C1. Switched to Sony now anyway, so now have 15+ years Canon, 5+ Years Fuji and lord knows what else all under C1's roof.

LR still has it's strengths, but not enough to run 2 processors.

LR still has it's strengths, but not enough to run 2 processors.

Yes, both have plusses and minuses, but C1 for me would be the one I would have, if I was only going to have one.

As @Ian W knows I've recently made to full switch to C1 and I couldn't be happier, for me its faster and really does work better with my RAF files. I do miss the catalog system of LR but I'm starting to come round to the way C1 does things. I also like that you can have multiple catalogs open at the same time, no need to reload the app.
Using layers is fantastic, makes it easier to adjust changes, just like in Photoshop.
I've also switched to Affinity for any pixel-level editing, pano and focus stack stitching. And I've found the content aware fill to be pretty dam good, maybe not as freaky good as PS but good enough for me.

yes I have seen this offer unfortunately after renew my sony version at full cost:mad:

I've also made the change to C1 for my Fuji files as I was and still am disappointed at the way Lightroom handles them, along with C1, I have Alien Skin Exposure 4 which covers all bases for my needs. Can't justify paying a subscription for something that does not work with my Fuji.

Capture One isn't cheap! it's £20 a month for one that doesn't have a body restriction...never seen that before. It makes it more expensive to run more than 1 body vs Lightroom.

Capture One isn't cheap! it's £20 a month for one that doesn't have a body restriction...never seen that before. It makes it more expensive to run more than 1 body vs Lightroom.

Capture One has always been expensive than the alternatives, but, long term, the perpetual license + upgrades are cheaper than the subscription price, which is the price I assume you are quoting. Even then, it still works out more expensive than the Adobe sub, as the annual upgrades are more than the annual adobe fees, and you have also paid up front for the perpetual license. AND many people will still need Photoshop or Affinity Photo (or maybe Photoline) in addition to C1. Phase One tutorials assume that you have access to Photoshop, and often refer to when its time to switch to Photoshop.

So C1 is an expensive option, and you need to be confident that C1 offers sufficient improvements in workflow and image quality over Lightroom to make it worth the money. I would argue that its more powerful than Lightroom, but not as powerful as Photoshop, but of course Lightroom comes free with Photoshop, so in combination, they give much better value for money than Capture One.

However, on your other point, Nikon and Canon raw processors only work with Nikon and Canon, so its probably not that surprising that the Fuji version of C1 provided free for Fuji users, in a partnership agreement with Fuji, only works with Fuji cameras. And for those Fuji users, who want more advanced features, there is this paid for upgrade option, which is cheaper than buying the full version

So, people with more than one camera make are paying what they have always paid, but if you only have a Fuji, you don't have to pay for raw processing capability you don't need.

Back