Capture One help needed please ...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
As much as I really like the raw processing of C1. The bloody catalogue/sessions are doing my head in. I was happy with Adobe Bridge, and just going by date of imports. But jeeez C1 is a mare for me. i`ve looked in their how to`s and even that seems so long winded.
As it stands i`m seriously thinking about reverting to bridge. So if anyone has an easy solution, i`d really appreciate some help.

TIA (y)

What are you trying to do?

I create a new session each time I want to process some photos. I name them YYYY-MM-DD_Description and C1 does everything for me. When I want t go back to something, I just re-open the session and carry on.

What are you trying to do?

I create a new session each time I want to process some photos. I name them YYYY-MM-DD_Description and C1 does everything for me. When I want t go back to something, I just re-open the session and carry on.

All I want is when I click on "pictures", just a long dated list. I have no need for sessions etc. The at the end of each month, I copy over to a backup drive.
But for some reason, having set up session 1, and session2. Session 3 ended up in session favourites. Buggered if I know what's going on...

All I want is when I click on "pictures", just a long dated list. I have no need for sessions etc. The at the end of each month, I copy over to a backup drive.
But for some reason, having set up session 1, and session2. Session 3 ended up in session favourites. Buggered if I know what's going on...
Bridge is a file browser, and works differently to C1 (or Light Room and other similar programs) which assume you want to use C1 to "manage" your files as well as process them.

But, unlike most (maybe all) of these programs C1 offers several management options, which makes it very powerful, but also potentially complex. It's not that difficult, but it does take a bit of effort to sort out, especially if you come from Bridge as browser or Lightroom as a catalogue, because it doesn't work like either of them.

Catalogues work on the assumption that you want to manage all your images from inside a catalogue, and works best for people who need to search through multiple files (using keywords) to find specific images. Apart from long term C1 users (like me) and Bridge/ACR users (like you) this seems to be what most people want.

C1 allows you to choose a "referenced" catalogue (like LR) where the files stay where they are on the HDD, and C1 builds a single catalogue of previews, keywords and processing info into a single searchable catalogue that links to the original files.

C1 also allows you to create a "managed" catalogue (as Aperture did) which is similar to the above but the raw files are physically moved from HDD to inside the C1 catalogue. Creating a single massive catalogue file.

Sessions are like "mini" catalogues, with the idea that you set up a new session. for each new project. Creating a new session creates standard system folders inside the session folder/ directory and raw files are imported into the session "capture" folder with all the editing information also stored inside the session directory. There are further folders in the session folder for output files etc. The idea is that "everything" related to a specific project, which might be a portrait session, or longer term project are all under a a single session folder that can easily be backed up, or archived. If your work is project based, this is a safer way of working than catalogues.

There is a fourth option of creating a "dummy" session, mine is called C1_Viewer and it lives on the same SSD that holds the Operating system.

Once created, you can open it and browse your hard drive from inside C1, find a file open it and edit it without importing anything anywhere. Or you can simply drag a file into C1 and work on it, again without actually importing anything into C1.

However, unlike LR and ACR the editing information is not stored in the XMP files, but in a "CaptureOne" folder in the same folder /directory where the edited raw file lives. So if you archive raw files and want to revisit the edits. you also need to archive the associated "CaptureOne" folder.

There are lots of ways of using these tools.

I have all my raws in a folder/directory organised by Year and date that I catalogue in Lightroom (but you could do it in C1).

I use my C1_Viewer dummy session to open individual files and do test edits, quick edits etc.

But I also have sessions set up for specific projects, and files that I want to use for specific projects are "copied" or imported into the session associated with that project.

That means I have the raw files duplicated, but that is part of my backup procedures.

IF, I have edited a file with my C1_Viewer, I "import" them into a session as this means the editing is imported with the raw, but if I haven't edited it, I just drag it into the Session capture folder.

This is much easier than it all sounds, and you may well find that creating a dummy session to use as a browser, might work for you. OR you might consider creating a new session per month and importing your raws into the session capture folder.

Bridge is a file browser, and works differently to C1 (or Light Room and other similar programs) which assume you want to use C1 to "manage" your files as well as process them.

But, unlike most (maybe all) of these programs C1 offers several management options, which makes it very powerful, but also potentially complex. It's not that difficult, but it does take a bit of effort to sort out, especially if you come from Bridge as browser or Lightroom as a catalogue, because it doesn't work like either of them.

Catalogues work on the assumption that you want to manage all your images from inside a catalogue, and works best for people who need to search through multiple files (using keywords) to find specific images. Apart from long term C1 users (like me) and Bridge/ACR users (like you) this seems to be what most people want.

C1 allows you to choose a "referenced" catalogue (like LR) where the files stay where they are on the HDD, and C1 builds a single catalogue of previews, keywords and processing info into a single searchable catalogue that links to the original files.

C1 also allows you to create a "managed" catalogue (as Aperture did) which is similar to the above but the raw files are physically moved from HDD to inside the C1 catalogue. Creating a single massive catalogue file.

Sessions are like "mini" catalogues, with the idea that you set up a new session. for each new project. Creating a new session creates standard system folders inside the session folder/ directory and raw files are imported into the session "capture" folder with all the editing information also stored inside the session directory. There are further folders in the session folder for output files etc. The idea is that "everything" related to a specific project, which might be a portrait session, or longer term project are all under a a single session folder that can easily be backed up, or archived. If your work is project based, this is a safer way of working than catalogues.

There is a fourth option of creating a "dummy" session, mine is called C1_Viewer and it lives on the same SSD that holds the Operating system.

Once created, you can open it and browse your hard drive from inside C1, find a file open it and edit it without importing anything anywhere. Or you can simply drag a file into C1 and work on it, again without actually importing anything into C1.

However, unlike LR and ACR the editing information is not stored in the XMP files, but in a "CaptureOne" folder in the same folder /directory where the edited raw file lives. So if you archive raw files and want to revisit the edits. you also need to archive the associated "CaptureOne" folder.

There are lots of ways of using these tools.

I have all my raws in a folder/directory organised by Year and date that I catalogue in Lightroom (but you could do it in C1).

I use my C1_Viewer dummy session to open individual files and do test edits, quick edits etc.

But I also have sessions set up for specific projects, and files that I want to use for specific projects are "copied" or imported into the session associated with that project.

That means I have the raw files duplicated, but that is part of my backup procedures.

IF, I have edited a file with my C1_Viewer, I "import" them into a session as this means the editing is imported with the raw, but if I haven't edited it, I just drag it into the Session capture folder.

This is much easier than it all sounds, and you may well find that creating a dummy session to use as a browser, might work for you. OR you might consider creating a new session per month and importing your raws into the session capture folder.

Very informative and I appreciate you taking the time. I`ll have a go at re organising my shizz, and hopefully will be able to get it sorted now ;)

Very informative and I appreciate you taking the time. I`ll have a go at re organising my shizz, and hopefully will be able to get it sorted now ;)
Get back to me if you have questions.

It's really worthwhile spending time at the tutorials. C1 takes a little bit of time to get your head around it. The key areas I see people having problems with are the session/catalogue thing, and the output recipes.

Capture One's official youtube channel is great to browse through and grab videos with headings that cover things you may want to look at.

Paul Reiffer's youtube channel, where he edits viewers images, is better than the official C1 channel at getting into the "philosophy" of working with C1. He also has some videos tackling specific features.

Zasia Zmokla another slightly different approach to using C1, from someone with a different style to most C1 youtubers, with lots of good ideas.

Finally, a free guide to print out, or use online, from Alex Svet

If you really want you can just create a session and then keep working in that session for as long as you like and keep coming back to it.
Messy in my opinion, but no reason why you can't

Get back to me if you have questions.

It's really worthwhile spending time at the tutorials. C1 takes a little bit of time to get your head around it. The key areas I see people having problems with are the session/catalogue thing, and the output recipes.

Capture One's official youtube channel is great to browse through and grab videos with headings that cover things you may want to look at.

Paul Reiffer's youtube channel, where he edits viewers images, is better than the official C1 channel at getting into the "philosophy" of working with C1. He also has some videos tackling specific features.

Zasia Zmokla another slightly different approach to using C1, from someone with a different style to most C1 youtubers, with lots of good ideas.

Finally, a free guide to print out, or use online, from Alex Svet

Thanks again, Graham. Lots added to my C1 tutorials folder now (y)

Does anyone know if its possible to easily transfer editing from capture one to photoshop and back again? Whilst C1 renders my fuji files much better than lightroom and the editing tools are better, there are some things that can't be done e.g. exposure blending or focus stacking.

In lightroom it's really easy to do some base edits in LR then open as layers in PS, edit, save and finish off in LR. I can get files from C1 to Lr and then Ps but its clunky and slow.

Ta

With affinity photo I go to image then edit with Affinity . Capture One creates a tiff or Psd file - your choice - you can then edit in Affininty and II have it set so that when I save the image it overwrites the tiff file with the changes which i can imeadiately see and work with back in Capture one.

I do exactly what LG9K does.

You then have 2 options,

Go to File manager on your pc and locate where your files are, Mine are documents >> FIle called Photo 2020 (or 2019 or 2018 etc.) inside this there is all your sessions in date order open the session and double click on the bottom icon below trash. This will open the relevant session. You can then just shut C1 down like any other program when finished.

Alterntively from with in C1 you basically do the same thing by using the browse files which on mine is the 1st tab of C1 near the top left. Favorites are the last 10 or so sessions you last viewed/most use.

Does anyone know if its possible to easily transfer editing from capture one to photoshop and back again? Whilst C1 renders my fuji files much better than lightroom and the editing tools are better, there are some things that can't be done e.g. exposure blending or focus stacking.

In lightroom it's really easy to do some base edits in LR then open as layers in PS, edit, save and finish off in LR. I can get files from C1 to Lr and then Ps but its clunky and slow.

Ta

Most you you probably already knew this, but if not I answered my own question in the end. You can right click an image in Capture One, select "edit with" and any photo editing software installed including photoshop will show as an option. Select edit in PS with the default settings already selected in Capture one, the image then opens up in PS. Once you've done the edits in PS just click save and it auto saves a copy back in C1 just as Lightroom would. Now I know this and can pretty easily use both C1 and PS to do editing tasks like focus stacking and exposure blending I genuinely think my LR usage will be very minimal.

One thing I'm not sure you can do is open multiple images as layers in PS. I guess you'll have to import them individually and stack them in PS.

Once you've done the edits in PS just click save and it auto saves a copy back in C1 just as Lightroom would.

Just to avoid confusion, PS doesn't actually save a copy of the file back to C1.

When you click on "Edit with", C1 creates a PSD file with embedded C1 edits, beside the raw file and then opens that PSD in PS for editing. So, PS is actually editing the file already "in" C1.

If you organise your views so you can see the PSD in C1 while editing it in PS, when you save the file in PS, you can see it update in C1.

You can carry on editing the PSD in C1, but it is still just saving a set of edit instructions on top of the PSD, which won't be embedded in the image until it's exported.

This means that if you realise you need to tweak the PS edits, you can re-open the PSD in PS using "open with" and re-edit it without affecting the C1 edits when you save the re-edited PSD. The C1 edits will still be overlaid on top of the new PS edits.

There is no clever way of dealing with multiple images between C1 and PS, that I am aware of, even though you can open multiple images in PS from C1.

I have some ideas, but not tried them out. e.g. given that C1 creates the PSDs before opening them in PS, if you select one of the PSDs in PS as the master PSD and add the other PSDs into this master PSD as layers, and then save it, it will be saved back to a PSD already in C1. Hopefully that makes sense.

Back